I ride with Dino... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

I ride with Dino...

People should reread JWs comments again about Dino, this year and 2021. While he does not come out and say covid is the issue, he makes it abundantly clear that this has been a challenging year. His words. He also wisely indicated you don't make emotional decisions and many on this board seem to get emotional with the H0T Takes. It's been a tough season, JW will talk with Dino about after it's done. He will be clear I am positive on what needs to happen and then we will see what happens in 2021. Simple as that folks.

this is a very clear and rational take, I think I speak for everyone on this board when I say, get the hell out of here with your clear and rational takes, dammit.

JW needs to have a heart to heart with Dino. Stop watching movies and pound the portal hardddd!!! Pound it and pound it hard.
Is this portal located in the men's stalls somewhere on campus? Just asking for a friend.

Last edited:
The ACC is average compared to the Big Ten/SEC but it's a clear step up than the Big East when we left. Pitt and Louisville were at the top competing for the Big East crown in the Marrone days and we struggled to beat them. They haven't come close to winning the ACC outside of maybe one year each. FSU will always have more speed and size than us and will always be a tough game unless it's a 2018 situation. And your point about Clemson would be better if we weren't in the same division every year as them.

It appears to me that based upon all of the schools mentioned that are in the ACC, etc., and generally what their respective records have been, it spells mediocrity. I wasn't really comparing the ACC schools to the B1G or SEC, since our schools typically don't play them during the regular season, therefore, it's not a consideration to figure in. My point about Clemson had nothing to do with them being in the same division, but rather how they are a complete outlier of excellence in comparison to the rest of the ACC that is anything but that, and simply a conference made up of comprehensive mediocrity.

I don’t want to turn this into a Coach P thread. But man! If SU had invested in facilities and salaries when P was here I am completely confident Coach P would have cycled the program back up. The guy was and is a football coach who was great for this program. We would have saved an awful lot of angst over the last 20years if we had not bailed on P. He was the victim of the expectations that he set.
P put us on the Map. We were a national power. Dino isnt in the same universe as P.

Not much. I still see Rex throwing the ball 30 times a game when he was recruited as a dual threat QB. He's a big bruising body that is much more built for this offense (i.e. Dungey) but he can't throw. Why not run him more instead of forcing him to consistently do something he isn't good at.
and who plays QB if he goes down? we played to win and had a shot..

I'd like to see one of those charts for this? The ACC (taking away Clemson) is a very mediocre/average at best football conference. The Pitt's, BC's, NCST's, Wake's, VPI, have consistently been pretty average, no? I know a couple years back Miami had a very solid year (as did we) but they have generally been hovering around the 7-5 give or take as the rest. UNC is pretty good as of late with Mac back again, but still not much better than slightly above average. FSU has been mediocre at best as well. Then there's Duke, not a powerhouse on the gridiron either as they are in hoops. Therefore, I just don't see where this conference with Dino, is that much more difficult then when Doug was here.

There are two outliers in the ACC. Everyone else is in the same ball park. The outlier at the top is Clemson. The outlier at the bottom is SU.

The coaches are paid millions (Dino) or hundreds of thousands (the assistants) to figure it out.

My original point to this entire thread is you can't move the goalpost and decide because we are going to finish 1-11 this season shouldn't count. If we were 11-1 it would count. If we were 6-6 it would count.

Yeah, been arguing this is an exhibition season since late August.

Millions in salary a freshman become a sophomore does not make

Top 10 teams, playing in the Orange and Fiesta bowl isn't being a power?
No, there wasn’t consistent year in and year out large bowls. We were good but not a national power.
5E439D1D-8B46-4F79-A85C-BC2E89422912.png

Yeah, been arguing this is an exhibition season since late August.

Millions in salary a freshman become a sophomore does not make

Lol I don't know what the second sentence means but I guess if you've been saying its an exhibition season since August we should just throw out the season!

You don't know me if you think I don't respond to a good argument and can be swayed.

To your "never built a team" comment - I think it's weak. "Look the guy did such a great job at his first two stops, he got promoted too quickly" is a rough start. 2018 doesn't happen if he doesn't bolster the roster around ED to make it work. And finally, HC's very rarely are around long enough to have their own roster. Guys like Clawson are an exception, not the rule.
Dino has been around long enough at SU to have his own players contributing. It is not working out so well. I am just judging him on what he has done so far. It's not very good. He has brought in some very good players, I just don't think he is a good coach. That is my opinion and hope to be proven wrong. I want SU to win!! I have been a fan since '71 a have sat through many disastrous seasons in the dome and archbold . Is it to much to ask to get to a bowl game consistently? I'm tired of hearing movie references and half answered questions during Pre/Post game interviews.

Thats the national perception of our program and it is similar to all the sane fans on this forum. You and your pro Baber’s buddies aren’t going to win this one just like the pro coach P, GR, SS guys didn’t win. The writing is on the wall, I can’t help it if you can’t read.

“Coach stays” - guy in Hoosiers

Maybe we should just Hire Tony White as the HC.

his defense is pretty good.

I like Dino and I don’t think he should be fired. But it does get frustrating when he’s always saying just wait till next year.

Today he said he is already looking towards next year. We have a game this weekend! He has already thrown in the towel for Saturday. What are our chances of beating ND 3%? That was probably about the same odds when we beat Clemson

I like Dino and I don’t think he should be fired. But it does get frustrating when he’s always saying just wait till next year.

Today he said he is already looking towards next year. We have a game this weekend! He has already thrown in the towel for Saturday. What are our chances of beating ND 3%? That was probably about the same odds when we beat Clemson

And next year if we have a losing season, Babers will say he's looking forward to Season 7. The AD can't let him go due to the payout on his contract. Babers will be back next year. Let's hope we have better results but I'm not holding my breath

My opinion only, sure we have a game this weekend -- but it is against a powerhouse team that will be highly motivated and won't look past us, because they have something important to play for. And we can barely move the ball. So yes, you play the game and you do whatever you have to do to try to win. I don't expect us to mail it in, but I don't think its unrealistic to expect a loss.

And probably a bad one, given that ND will have an incentive to take us behind the woodshed.

My opinion only, sure we have a game this weekend -- but it is against a powerhouse team that will be highly motivated and won't look past us, because they have something important to play for. And we can barely move the ball. So yes, you play the game and you do whatever you have to do to try to win. I don't expect us to mail it in, but I don't think its unrealistic to expect a loss.

And probably a bad one, given that ND will have an incentive to take us behind the woodshed.
Oh I totally agree with you. Our chances of winning are almost nonexistent and if ND can hang 70 on us they will.

It just gets frustrating to hear wait till next year when there’s still a game to be played.

I love Dino as a man, as a person, and as a coach he presents himself as a great one.
But you have to win to keep your job at this level. Period.
I'm surprised that no one addresses the fact we have no plays, we let kids read defenses on the fly which is assinine. We need adults viewing tape, coming up with a gameplan vs the other teams weaknesses, and then variations off those plays, misdirection, varied plays. Some 2 TE sets, late releases by TE, screens, 2 back sets.
Watch a NO game or a KC game they have pro teams confused. We could easily be doing some of that instead of our 3 play offense. Running simple plays fast is a disaster. You can't run simple plays successfully vs today's college defenses no matter how fast they are. Running varied plays executed well is the solution. We had our program set up perfectly after the 10-3 season then something happened behind the scenes where we fell apart as a program. We'll probably never really know what happened.

Last edited:
No faith in the next hire I stick with Dino. Hope Martin stays tho because he’ll get the job mideason if next year starts bad.