I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year...

I don't think he is talented enough to put up 15 ppg in the normal flow of an offense. If he is putting up 15 ppg then he will have to have the ball in his hands a lot. In that case I could see him having a Scottie Reynolds type season his SR year. But IMO if that happens we will not win many games or go very far in the NCAAs. If he is your main option, then you don't have much to work with.

heck he averaged 11ppg his soph year. it's only 2 more made baskets and he is going to get more opps next year. unlike jb and several others, you underestimate how good he will be next year.

First, if he plays 34-40 minutes a game he better be scoring 15+ a game. The way we run our offense it would probably be catastrophic if he couldn't.

Will he really get that many mins? I see him under 30 mpg next year. Unless Cooney can't play at this level. Of the 3 Gs I see MCW leading us in back court mins. He is our most talented player.

heck he averaged 11ppg his soph year. it's only 2 more made baskets and he is going to get more opps next year. unlike jb and several others, you underestimate how good he will be next year.

Enh. JB sits Triche at the end of games. He has done it every year. That tells me all I need to know about what JB thinks of Triche's abilities. You don't sit your best option.

I don't think anyone guy is going to have to "carry" the offense. I do think Triche will lead the team in scoring. If we have 4-5 guys averaging 10-15ppg and Triche is the leader at 15 ppg you are going to assume the team will be a bust?
if we have to rely on triche than we are in big trouble in little china.

Same. One doesn't get the sense that everyone in these sorts of threads feels that way.

On a related note, I have to laugh at the people who blame Scoop or Boeheim for Triche's struggles. That's possibly the most delusional thing that's tossed around on this board, and that's saying something.

it's a fact that the philly boys had a habit of shutting him out last year and it even showed a little this year.

Completely agree.

The other way that Triche won't be like Joseph is the ball won't just die in his hands. Joseph and Scoop were black holes for the ball. Completely killed any flow of the offense. Dion was far superior to either of those two but he still kept the flow going most of the time.

This is high comedy. I think you've revealed a bit of a bias here.

if we have to rely on triche than we are in big trouble in little china.

then we are in big trouble. good thing jb vehemently disagrees but of course, you know more than him.

it's a fact that the philly boys had a habit of shutting him out last year and it even showed a little this year.

This is such a crazy thing to say. I'm sorry, Bees, but this isn't grounded in fact.

fact.

OK, there's no way for either of us to prove our point without going to the video (and combing through a lot of video, at that), but the idea that Scoop and Dion were deliberately freezing out a teammate comes off as crazy aluminum-foil-hat talk.

OK, there's no way for either of us to prove our point without going to the video (and combing through a lot of video, at that), but the idea that Scoop and Dion were deliberately freezing out a teammate comes off as crazy aluminum-foil-hat talk.

last year. a little this year but not as intentional and it was mostly scoop. go pull your videos form last year. of course it may not be as evident on a tv shot vs live. fact.

he was pretty much right too.
he was exactly right , i put triche in the mold of scoop, kjo of not being able to take us anywhere if has to be the man just because hes a senior. being a senior doesnt make you better than the rest of the players.

Brandon's value is maximized when he's aggressive, takes it hard to the rim, and starts scoring. That opens up mid-range and shots from three.

The last three years, he's been in a situation where he deferred to Andy (and Wes, etc..), had the older/leader Scoop out there, and then NBA-ready Dion, a guy JB acclaimed one of the best guards in the country. I think these scenarios stymied his potential.

Next year, he'll be the senior guard, the guy JB is going to look to lead this team. JB will repeatedly tell him to be aggressive and without Dion (and Scoop), he will.

His D is already top-notch and when the mental-side catches with the physical-side, which I think it will next year, I expect a big jump.

He will lead the team in minutes, points, and start to pull down more boards as his confidence takes off. Also, the fact BT is on the team will mean we'll see DC have a fantastic season, at least on the offensive end. DC will be comfortable out there and coupled with his fantastic skill set, I'll be shocked if DC doesn't avg at least 10 a game next year.
He will need to be a top pg on the floor when Williams is on the bench. Brandon has the ability. His biggest "fault" is sometimes disappearing during a game . He will need to be a leader at all times I expect he will. Thanks for putting him up in this post.SUball

he was exactly right , i put triche in the mold of scoop, kjo of not being able to take us anywhere if has to be the man just because hes a senior. being a senior doesnt make you better than the rest of the players.

i'll take getting to the elite 8 with a shot at getting to the f4. any day of the week.

I don't think he is talented enough to put up 15 ppg in the normal flow of an offense. If he is putting up 15 ppg then he will have to have the ball in his hands a lot. In that case I could see him having a Scottie Reynolds type season his SR year. But IMO if that happens we will not win many games or go very far in the NCAAs. If he is your main option, then you don't have much to work with.

Assume BT gets 15/game. Syracuse will average 75/game. Where in your estimation is the other 60 coming from? Doesn't seem much for BT to be averaging 15.

If Triche gets 15 ppg we will be lucky to be a Sweet 16 team. For us to go anywhere next year we need to run the O through MCW. If Triche has the ball in his hands often enough to put up 15 ppg that means he is doing so because we have nothing else. If we have nothing else it will be a loooong year. MCW needs to be the man next year. He needs to penetrate and dish. That IMO is the only way this team can have any success. Having to rely on a mediocre player to put 15 ppg up will be torture.

Exactly right. MCW will have the ball in his hands primarily and will penetrate and dish to Brandon. Who will then either shoot or also penetrate. And there will be your 15 ppg.

That characterization of Brandon as a mediocre player is hysterical. Clearly you must know more than Jay Bilas and Bill Rafftery do. They must be out of their minds to call him "the most talented player" on Syracuse - Bilas early in the year, or that they "love his game" - Raff this last weekend. I'm sensing you're the kind of guy who looks primarily at scoring efficiency or assists and doesn't see all the little things that BT does very well. Easily the best rebounding guard we had this year. When he wanted a board, he went and got it, regardless of who he was jumping against. Hands always out in the passing lanes, tipping balls that ended up in SU hands.

Maybe not, but it does extend the leash that JB gives you which allows for Brandon to just relax and play his game. He knew this year that if he did one thing wrong he was heading to the bench for Dion and would likely sit there for some time.

First, if he plays 34-40 minutes a game he better be scoring 15+ a game. The way we run our offense it would probably be catastrophic if he couldn't.

Second, the only time I ever hear this excuse about how hard it is to come in and out of game is with BT. I mean, if you're playing 5 minutes a game and expected to score that's one thing (see Mookie, Dirty), if you're over 20+ a game it's not really an excuse/issue. At least not much of one.

I disagree. I feel the same thing for James. That's half the reason he struggled in BE play as much as he did. It's REALLY hard to come in off the bench and be expected to light it up right away. In the preseason stuff, JB let James play through some of his mistakes and his shooting showed it. JB had a very quick hook with him in the regular season so he lost his confidence. And I'd argue the same was true for BT.

This is high comedy. I think you've revealed a bit of a bias here.

Really. How many times did Joseph dribble himself into trouble or out of bounds in just the last game of the year? And I guess it was more him than Scoop, but Scoop really had his own issues.

This year especially Joseph was the guy who was always trying to break his guy down on defense, but he rarely made the move quickly. So everyone else on the court wouldn't know where to go - just wanted to make sure they stayed out of his way in case he did drive.

Really. How many times did Joseph dribble himself into trouble or out of bounds in just the last game of the year? And I guess it was more him than Scoop, but Scoop really had his own issues.

This year especially Joseph was the guy who was always trying to break his guy down on defense, but he rarely made the move quickly. So everyone else on the court wouldn't know where to go - just wanted to make sure they stayed out of his way in case he did drive.
Did you watch brandon vs k state?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom