I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year...

Did you watch brandon vs k state?

I did. Not his best game. But not representative of his game, either.

And did you watch him versus Wisconsin?

By the way, I'm on the opinion, and this is only an opinion, that if BT got more than 19 minutes in the Wisconsin game, SU would have won by 10.

I did. Not his best game. But not representative of his game, either.

And did you watch him versus Wisconsin?

By the way, I'm on the opinion, and this is only an opinion, that if BT got more than 19 minutes in the Wisconsin game, SU would have won by 10.
Triche is game to game you never know which triche will show up kinda like scoop and joseph.

Really. How many times did Joseph dribble himself into trouble or out of bounds in just the last game of the year? And I guess it was more him than Scoop, but Scoop really had his own issues.

This year especially Joseph was the guy who was always trying to break his guy down on defense, but he rarely made the move quickly. So everyone else on the court wouldn't know where to go - just wanted to make sure they stayed out of his way in case he did drive.

Scoop was the best distributor of the regulars this year, by far. No one who watches the games would refer to him as a "black hole."

I don't think it's that hard. Triche averaged 8.1 points over 21.3 minutes per game last year. To get to 15 points per game, he'd need to average 39.4 minutes per game. Of course that is assuming he scores at the same rate. It's fair to say he will improve his scoring rate, but I definitely don't think it's a given that he'll do it enough to score 15 per game. In the last 3 seasons, we've had one guy average more than 15 per game. (No one since Wes in 2010).

Really? So, you are extrapolating his scoring based upon the most balanced scoring team we've had...well, forever, and using that to project what he'd average next year as a function of minutes--despite three of our top scorers leaving?

If Triche gets 15 ppg we will be lucky to be a Sweet 16 team. For us to go anywhere next year we need to run the O through MCW. If Triche has the ball in his hands often enough to put up 15 ppg that means he is doing so because we have nothing else. If we have nothing else it will be a loooong year. MCW needs to be the man next year. He needs to penetrate and dish. That IMO is the only way this team can have any success. Having to rely on a mediocre player to put 15 ppg up will be torture.

No offense, but that post is full of conjecture.

This is such a crazy thing to say. I'm sorry, Bees, but this isn't grounded in fact.

Honestly, there was some truth to it last year. It's been exaggerated a bit, but it happened.

Scoop was the best distributor of the regulars this year, by far. No one who watches the games would refer to him as a "black hole."

Concur. We only had two people that could genuinely create for others, Dion and Scoop. Dion usually went to the rim to score, and Scoop was our best distributor. One of BT's biggest limitations is his lack of quickness. I know people love his drive and pull up in the lane, but how many times this year was that cut-off and he traveled or just turned it over? He's not great at improvising with the ball - more a straight line guy.

He's like Kris in that regard, but he never developed the strange tendency of wasting time dribbling aimlessly.

Assuming Cooney can shoot it next year and contribute significant minutes, and MCW can continue to show a propensity for getting in the lane we should be fine because we won't need BT to be the guy that gets to the hole and creates when the offense breaks down. If we do, I would be slightly concerned.

Triche is game to game you never know which triche will show up kinda like scoop and joseph.
To be fair, the guy in your montage was as "game to game" as the three guys you like to pick apart. Until the BET and NCAAT, Dion pretty much made his numbers against the weaker teams on the schedule and had his share of less than stellar performances. But we see what we want to see.

To be fair, the guy in your montage was as "game to game" as the three guys you like to pick apart. Until the BET and NCAAT, Dion pretty much made his numbers against the weaker teams on the schedule and had his share of less than stellar performances. But we see what we want to see.
You mean the only one whos getting drafted lolllllllllll.

You mean the only one whos getting drafted lolllllllllll.
My comment had nothing to do with who has the greatest potential at the next level. And it wasn't a knock on Dion, only an observation. But I can understand if this thread is starting to wear you out. I got a headache just reading it.:)

Here's a comparison: I wonder if Brandon next year could be that team's Kueth Duany- not the best player on the team, not spectacular at any one thing, not hugely productive statistically, but a guy who can do a lot of things for you while being a senior leader on a team full of young talents.

He's a comparison: I wonder if Brandon next year could be that team's Kueth Duany- not the best player on the team, not spectacular at any one thing, not hugely productive statisticall, but a guy who can do a lot of things for you while being a senior leader on a team full of young talents.

Yes. He could be that guy.

Concur. We only had two people that could genuinely create for others, Dion and Scoop. Dion usually went to the rim to score, and Scoop was our best distributor. One of BT's biggest limitations is his lack of quickness. I know people love his drive and pull up in the lane, but how many times this year was that cut-off and he traveled or just turned it over? He's not great at improvising with the ball - more a straight line guy.

He's like Kris in that regard, but he never developed the strange tendency of wasting time dribbling aimlessly.

Assuming Cooney can shoot it next year and contribute significant minutes, and MCW can continue to show a propensity for getting in the lane we should be fine because we won't need BT to be the guy that gets to the hole and creates when the offense breaks down. If we do, I would be slightly concerned.

I'm not sure where you get this idea that Brandon couldn't create for others. Especially when compared to Dion. BT averaged the second highest amount of assists per game this year (2.6) over an average of 22.5 minutes per game. And he rarely started with the ball in his hand, like Scoop (who had the most assists per game). Dion averaged slightly more minutes (24.1) but slightly less assists per game (2.3).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183/sort/avgAssists/syracuse-orange

As for your question as to how many times was he cut-off and traveled or turned it over - few if you look at the TOs per game.

Considering how easily BT took it to the hole against Wisconsin (touted as one of the best defenses in the nation), again I just don't see what you are seeing.

My comment had nothing to do with who has the greatest potential at the next level. And it wasn't a knock on Dion, only an observation. But I can understand if this thread is starting to wear you out. I got a headache just reading it.:)

Come on, this is more fun than talking about someone's tweets...

Sorry, the old man in me just doesn't go for the twitter thing.

I'm not sure where you get this idea that Brandon couldn't create for others. Especially when compared to Dion. BT averaged the second highest amount of assists per game this year (2.6) over an average of 22.5 minutes per game. And he rarely started with the ball in his hand, like Scoop (who had the most assists per game). Dion averaged slightly more minutes (24.1) but slightly less assists per game (2.3).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183/sort/avgAssists/syracuse-orange

As for your question as to how many times was he cut-off and traveled or turned it over - few if you look at the TOs per game.

Considering how easily BT took it to the hole against Wisconsin (touted as one of the best defenses in the nation), again I just don't see what you are seeing.
I dont know what youre watching either. How many times do you see bt driving and actually finishing? Hes at his best with his pull up jumper near the ft line and shooting 3's. Hes not in the same league as dion with the ability to get to the hole and create a shot for himself.

I dont know what youre watching either. How many times do you see bt driving and actually finishing? Hes at his best with his pull up jumper near the ft line and shooting 3's. Hes not in the same league as dion with the ability to get to the hole and create a shot for himself.

Agreed on Dion, although BT was better the last game. Still think Dion hurt his ankle in the first half there which affected him the rest of the game - including that dunk he missed which he never does. The reality is that few people are as good as Dion, but don't undervalue BT just because he's not as good as a guy who will get drafted in the first round despite never starting a game in two seasons (is that right?). Which is really what this thread is all about.

I think one of the reasons he got so good at that pull up jumper is because he was flagged for so many charges early in his career. He's too strong for a lot of guards so they get tossed aside when they were actually playing defense on him too tightly.
Last thing I'll add to this, because I'm tired and still have work to finish. I think BT's driving ability will get better and better as his 3 point shooting gets better. They will have to respect his jumper even more, like they did with Dion, and he'll be able to go by people at will.

By the way, are you actually in Albany? I grew up down that way - closer to Troy actually.

Really? So, you are extrapolating his scoring based upon the most balanced scoring team we've had...well, forever, and using that to project what he'd average next year as a function of minutes--despite three of our top scorers leaving?

I'm just throwing it out there as a starting point. (though it would've helped if I used last year's stats instead of his freshmen year).

My only point was that I wouldn't be shocked if he scored under 15 per game last year, that's all.

I also just looked this up, and I was surprised; Brandon had the third highest shot% on the team last year; that is, he took the third most amount of team shots when on the court. Dion was first (duh) and James was second, Brandon was essentially tied with him. Brandon's shot % was higher than the shot % of Jonny Flynn in 2009, as a random example. (though Jonny did score more than 15 per game, so there you go). So he will see more shots, because he is playing more, but he may not actually see that many more shots on a percentage basis.

I also think the team will be pretty balanced next year as well. This is not a knock on Brandon; he may very well be the leading scorer and not get 15 per game, which is exactly what has happened in each of the last 2 years. Though that being said, as I mentioned before, I looked at the wrong year's stat line. If he scored at the same rate as this year, he'd average about 14.2 points per 34 minutes, which seems like a pretty good estimate for his playing time.

Agreed on Dion, although BT was better the last game. Still think Dion hurt his ankle in the first half there which affected him the rest of the game - including that dunk he missed which he never does. The reality is that few people are as good as Dion, but don't undervalue BT just because he's not as good as a guy who will get drafted in the first round despite never starting a game in two seasons (is that right?). Which is really what this thread is all about.

I think one of the reasons he got so good at that pull up jumper is because he was flagged for so many charges early in his career. He's too strong for a lot of guards so they get tossed aside when they were actually playing defense on him too tightly.
Last thing I'll add to this, because I'm tired and still have work to finish. I think BT's driving ability will get better and better as his 3 point shooting gets better. They will have to respect his jumper even more, like they did with Dion, and he'll be able to go by people at will.

By the way, are you actually in Albany? I grew up down that way - closer to Troy actually.
I live in rotterdam,you should know where it is if youre from troy.

I live in rotterdam,you should know where it is if youre from troy.

Near Troy. Grew up in Green Island, but not many people know where that is. My wife graduated from Mohonasen and SU.

Near Troy. Grew up in Green Island, but not many people know where that is. My wife graduated from Mohonasen and SU.
Haha thats where i went to high school. How old is your wife if you dont mind me asking?

Will he be able to handle the pressure? Also I don't think he's going to be the go to guy when we need a bucket. Triche is more of a role player instead of a leader.

Really? Everyone could take it to the hole against Wisconsin. That's why we won.

Do you think Dion was a great facilitator? Dion was a score first guard, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, and still had pretty much the same number of assists. I just consider him a better creator because he gets to the rim more often, etc...I

As far as turnovers, Dion was far more aggressive with the ball and he still had less TO per game.

I really do like BT, but I think all of the nobody will ever pass to him, and my favorite from last year, his missed threes are actually assists (my favorite posts EVER btw) posts have left me a little jaded. :) I mean post after post arguing that missed shots were actually assists...insanity. I don't know, it just seems like the expectation are a tad unrealistic to me.

He should probably get around 15ppg, but it will be in much the same fashion as now, just with more minutes to increase the numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom