I think we have a Tournament team | Syracusefan.com

I think we have a Tournament team

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
It’s still early but it doesn’t really matter because you can see the players we have and the defense we are capable of playing is there. If our shots our aren’t falling we have players who can slash to the hoop and score in a variety of ways (Battle, OB, Howard). We are definitely NOT one dimensional on offense. This team can hurt you in many ways.

Our defense is much improved and very capable of keeping us in games when our offense is a little sluggish. We have hustle , scrappy players that give 100% all game. And mix in some shot blocking and some offense from our centers and thats why i think we win enough to make the tournament and win a few games.

It’s still early but it doesn’t really matter because you can see the players we have and the defense we are capable of playing is there. If our shots our aren’t falling we have players who can slash to the hoop and score in a variety of ways (Battle, OB, Howard). We are definitely NOT one dimensional on offense. This team can hurt you in many ways.

Our defense is much improved and very capable of keeping us in games when our offense is a little sluggish. We have hustle , scrappy players that give 100% all game. And mix in some shot blocking and some offense from our centers and thats why i think we win enough to make the tournament and win a few games.
I think this team will get better and better as the season goes on. Just look how much we improved over the last few weeks.

If you write it in a message board then it undoubtedly becomes a fact my friend!

From my keyboard to the history books!

We will know much more come Saturday. Either way this team is fun to watch because they play hard. They play with emotion. They care. And we do have some insanely skilled guys. Unrefined yes, but skilled nonetheless.

The lack of expectations coupled with their enthusiastic play has made this group one of the least stressful squads in YEARS. Maybe that’s why I like them so much.

From my keyboard to the history books!

We will know much more come Saturday. Either way this team is fun to watch because they play hard. They play with emotion. They care. And we do have some insanely skilled guys. Unrefined yes, but skilled nonetheless.

The lack of expectations coupled with their enthusiastic play has made this group one of the least stressful squads in YEARS. Maybe that’s why I like them so much.
The enthusiastic play is everything! It does make me feel uncommonly optimistic, considering I was in the depths of despair a short month ago. And I am not sure we’ll “know more” after Saturday. I think we’ll know more after UConn and Gtown. Carolina was killed by MSU and now they are killing Michigan. Being thrashed by Kansas doesn’t doom us.

This does look like a tourney team right now (the real tourney).

But one thing that worries me is that the team probably can't weather any injury to one of the top 6 guys. There is no depth here. Having to play Moyer 30 minutes against acc teams, for example, would be a killer. Right now I think you have to say the same about Thorpe (and obviously Washington). There just isn't a lot of margin for error.

Apparently Jay Bilas is confident we're a tournament team...not that it means much. Said it during the Duke Indiana game tonight. But still, he always supports cuse, and I love him for that.

Also, he said we have some names on our team some people might not know about yet. *cough* Oshae Brisket *cough*

I'm still not optimistic about an NCAA tourney appearance, but I am beginning to think we might win our first ACC tournament game this year.

For me that is optimism.
I'm getting more optimistic too for 2 reasons. One we are much better than I thought we would be and even more importantly in terms of our chances - a lot of teams are not good. IF Frank doesn't implode we are going dancing based on our D and improved guard play.

We'll know more about the Tourney chances of this team by Christmas. I don't think we can afford losing to Uconn, Gtown or Bonnie. Beat Kansas and things change, but gotta take care of business against lesser teams.

I still don't see how this offense will be good enough to win consistently in ACC play. Tyus and Frank have been great thus far, but if one is off, then what? Brissett is not pretty but is putting up numbers. After those 3, it's basically put backs and the occasional inside move by MD/BS. We need more offense, especially from 3, as I don't know if our defense will consistently be good enough to overcome offensive struggles.

But I'm beyond thrilled with how this team has performed thus far and hope they can continue improving across the board. Win or lose against KU, but definitely TCOB against the mid-majors and we should be in good position heading into January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom