I would get used to hearing this... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I would get used to hearing this...

I think we can conduct a national search.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't doubt that, but I think much like UConn, if we have one of "our" guys who fits the bill, he'll get it.

doubtful that would make much sense. for it to make sense for hop (bigger parachute, higher pay), it prob wouldnt make sense for USC.

But IMO, it doesnt matter. this is career suicide for hop if he takes the job. You dont take the 5 year old BMW when you turn 16 if you have the keys to the Bentley at 18.
Career suicide. Doubtful. If he is successful, he will be the toast of the town. If not, that is on him and I suspect he is too talented to fail.

Does Autry move into HC-in-waiting role?

I would highly doubt it. We'd be shooting a lot higher than Red when JB steps down. They can't give away the UCLA job, but there'd be a line for the SU job.

Hope Hop enjoys USC, but it will be big step down compared to SU in terms of sizzle.

doubtful that would make much sense. for it to make sense for hop (bigger parachute, higher pay), it prob wouldnt make sense for USC.

But IMO, it doesnt matter. this is career suicide for hop if he takes the job. You dont take the 5 year old BMW when you turn 16 if you have the keys to the Bentley at 18.
Human psychology. You can only delay gratification so long

You dont take the 5 year old BMW when you turn 16 if you have the keys to the Bentley at 18.

I think you might take the 5 year old BMW if somebody offers you a lot of money to take it.

What are the odds of this scenario. Hop stays at USC. JB retires. Cues hires Brad Stevens. I can legitimately see that as a fit. He recently turned down UCLA because he didn't want to be in the LA limelight. But in a few more years after stepping through the Big East he's ready to graduate and coach an elite Cuse program. A program that puts him into top-tier coaching status, with an amazing fan base, tremendous support within the community and no big city melodrama (no pun with the melo).

The bigger question for me is recruiting because hop is a great recruiter. Of course this didnt happen overnight. I don't see how you could hire someone from the outside. We play the zone and I feel like JB will want someone employing that. Syracuse is known for its defense. I feel like hop will be back eventually. I don't know if Tim o toole is the answer either.

What are the odds of this scenario. Hop stays at USC. JB retires. Cues hires Brad Stevens. I can legitimately see that as a fit. He recently turned down UCLA because he didn't want to be in the LA limelight. But in a few more years after stepping through the Big East he's ready to graduate and coach an elite Cuse program. A program that puts him into top-tier coaching status, with an amazing fan base, tremendous support within the community and no big city melodrama (no pun with the melo).
My wife went to school with Stevens' wife (seriously). I am on it. :)

I know I will catch some flak here but if it needs to happen now I rather have JB for three more years. If we get Hopkins back good, if not I feel we have reached elite status where if we make a reasonable hire we will succeed. The big issue is replacing his recruiting prowess as an assistant

What he said.

I appreciate all of Hop's many contributions and his patience as well. He will be missed. But the SU job is a plum job and there would be plenty of attractive candidates to choose from as long as SU doesnt try to buy on the cheap. And maybe Hop will be the guy anyway. Then again there is no assurance that he does well at USC.

The bigger question for me is recruiting because hop is a great recruiter. Of course this didnt happen overnight. I don't see how you could hire someone from the outside. We play the zone and I feel like JB will want someone employing that. Syracuse is known for its defense. I feel like hop will be back eventually. I don't know if Tim o toole is the answer either.

I don't think Hop comes back and I think O'Toole replaces Hop.

We survived the loss of Rick Pitino, Louis Orr, Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, etc...

We'll manage without Hop.

Best of luck to him on the Left Coast.
JB was a lot younger then. He's much closer to the end now. But can't begrudge Hop his chance to be a HC now.

My wife went to school with Stevens' wife (seriously). I am on it. :)

From your lips to God's ears. If I could choose one guy he would the one. Maybe he could teach our guys how to do the clutching and grabbing that seems to irk many here. ;)

If Hop leaves does that mean JB coaches 2 or 3 more years? And if so, does he groom Autry as his heir apparent or does the AD go outside when the time comes?

If Hop leaves does that mean JB coaches 2 or 3 more years? And if so, does he groom Autry as his heir apparent or does the AD go outside when the time comes?
I think everything is fluid right now. The most important thing is we still have a Hall of Fame coach who isn't going anywhere.

Why hire Red when you will have your pick of college coaches?

Nothing against Red, but he'd need to leave now and be successful as a head coach before SU would consider him.

What about Allen Griffin coming back as a assistant?

Don't you mean Northwestern?

Nick Medline@NMedlineFOX7h
I'm hearing that Greg Paulus will likely join #Northwestern coaching staff under Chris Collins. Woah.
gotta think the "likely" part means theres an open window for him to wait on Hops decision as I was told about them as a package deal quite a while back from someone who seems to know some of this stuff being half right and half wrong on things.

USC Head Coach Mike Hopkins.

All the stars seem to be pointing that way. Hope I'm wrong.

He should go. He's earned it. And that's a big first-time gig.

I'm torn about this whole situation. I certainly want the best for Hop and of he is offered he's got to go, however I hope JB sticks around for a long time.
I was born and raised in Syracuse and along with salt potatoes the thing I identify most with Syracuse is JAB. It will be one of the saddest days of my life when coach chooses to hang 'em up.

Jimmy has always done a good job bringing in assistants and I have no reason to doubt him now. That being said Hop has been a tremendous asset and I will be incredibly sad to see him go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom