Id like to ask a real basketball question | Syracusefan.com

Id like to ask a real basketball question

Marsh01

Living Legend
What the hell are we doing on our inbounds plays under the opponents baskets?

I'll see your real basketball question and raise you one...

Why in the world are we all of a sudden getting so many shots blocked? It seems like the only person that can venture into the lane and get off a clean shot is CJ, and even he got sent packing a couple of times tonight.

Great q...our inbounds are terrible lately. Nothing to the hoop.

Why in the world are we all of a sudden getting so many shots blocked? It seems like the only person that can venture into the lane and get off a clean shot is CJ, and even he got sent packing a couple of times tonight.

Seemed like a majority of the offense tonight consisted of CJ making a run at the basket.
CJ is good. Really good. But when much of the offense is CJ or Tyler going directly to the basket, it's likely that the defenders are going to adapt.

idk but looks like a tackling drill for the defense

Teams are clogging the lane. When driving or getting the ball in the lane, teams are sagging in and we are not kicking it out to the open shooter. Most time it's the next /"extra" pass that leads to the most wide open set shot in the game. You can see our Iso plays coming and sit and wait near the lane to make it tough on our driver. CJ threw up at least 3 wild shots tonight in the lane with 3 if not 4 defenders around him. Between his and TE's drives, Cooney was left wide open on the wing at least 5 times in the final 8 minutes tonight. We are not making the help defender pay.

We've basically run the same inbounds play all season. It worked earlier in the year, but teams know what's coming. We have Cooney, Ennis or CJ circling around a double screen toward the corner and a guard that flashed back out toward midcourt. That's it. Nothing that remotely resembles a screen or cut to the basket. No misdirection, nothing. It's the same thing with our overall offense. JB keeps running the same stuff over and over this year, and teams have adjusted to it. It's getting tough to watch our offense, with the very little movement and especially ball movement. Every other game I watch, I see kids cutting and moving all over the place, big cuts moving around and the ball moving. Sure, that doesn't necessarily cause or ensure success, but neither is what we're currently doing...

I run the same set for my 4th grade grammar school team. We call it 'wide'. Kids line up wide apart on foul line extended - a pair on the elbows and the other two around the three point line. Then I yell one of the kids names and he cuts to the basket (i.e. 'wide for Joey'). Defenders are clueless as long as we don't run it too much and they figure out our players names. Get a wide open layup 90% of the time off the set (which is subsequently missed 80% of the time). Unsure why it isn't working for Syracuse.

Cooney takes ball out, forwards stand at top of key, Ennis rolls off one of them, forward attempts roll to basket and usually ends up running into our center, to avoid the 5 second call Ennis shoots into the back court or Cooney dishes it to Fair who is standing practically out of bounds in the corner, where he proceeds to pumpfake and either shoot or dribble it out and pass it back to Ennis, who waits for the high ball screen from our center as Cooney starts wildly running off curls.

Something like that. With Grant, Fair, and Rak, surprised we have so few lobs this year, particularly on some inbounds plays.

I've got another real basketball question. What exactly is our press designed to do? It rarely results in an actual denial of the first pass, but often results in the guard being denied quickly getting the second pass and streaking down to the other end with Cooney or Ennis in pursuit. I don't understand the denial of the first pass. Let that one in, and then use the height and length we have to trap. Like my kid's 5th grade team does.

Shot fakes help. We don't use them.

Same inbounds play we've been running for years. Why change a good thing?

Remember early in the season when Cooney would inbound the ball and then cut and receive a pass back for a nice shot from the corner? I haven't seen that play attempted in forever.

Cooney takes ball out, forwards stand at top of key, Ennis rolls off one of them, forward attempts roll to basket and usually ends up running into our center, to avoid the 5 second call Ennis shoots into the back court or Cooney dishes it to Fair who is standing practically out of bounds in the corner, where he proceeds to pumpfake and either shoot or dribble it out and pass it back to Ennis, who waits for the high ball screen from our center as Cooney starts wildly running off curls.

Something like that. With Grant, Fair, and Rak, surprised we have so few lobs this year, particularly on some inbounds plays.
"Cooney starts wildly running off curls" hahahahahaha

Remember early in the season when Cooney would inbound the ball and then cut and receive a pass back for a nice shot from the corner? I haven't seen that play attempted in forever.

Bilas mentioned it during the Maryland game. Said it was good play we had and thought we were about to use it. We didn't and still haven't used it in forever.

I'm more comfortable when Fair's the inbounder. Cooney, like Triche, seems shaky (not in the good way).

Another q: but did Ennis shoot a layup off the backboard in the first few poss? It looked like a block at first the it looked like he just shot it off the side of the backboard.

KaiserUEO said:
yep. was just going to say that. theyre lazy.
And when we do we hold the ball too low (fair, Tyler), or shuffle our feet (g and rak)

I don't think Ennis is very good at making the pass off the pick and roll. I don't think Fair (and Grant when he was playing) were good at kicking the ball out to get Cooney an open look. And I don't think Cooney's shooting percentage has been all that great lately.

The wheels have come off the wagon. It feels like we've had a complete reset of our entire season. Where is the team that was playing Duke in the dome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom