If ennis came back | Syracusefan.com

If ennis came back

Is this a top 10 final 4 team?

Possibly.

Don't forget that Ennis could shoot. Ennis and Cooney--veteran backcourt with viable backups at both positions [Kaleb / Buss / G].

Ennis would also do a better job of orchestrating half court offensive sets than Joseph is doing right now [I love Joseph, but he is really in learning-on-the-job mode, whereas Ennis would be experienced].

Better depth than last year.

Better inside scoring that last year, with an actual go to guy down low [McCullough] and a senior center who has taken it up a notch. Both would be effective in half court offensive sets, compared to last year where we almost completely lacked inside scoring.

Shooting is worrisome, but would improve adding Ennis as a veteran returnee.

And we'd need to account for any improvement / development that Ennis would show from year 1 to year 2.

I don't know that they'd end the season as top 10 / final 4, but I think had he returned we would have started the season in the top 10--and that we'd be pretty excited right now.

No. Ennis wasn't very good at getting the ball down low to our big men consistently. KJII may be imperfect and a freshman, but i believe ball distributors like him, joseph and G are better for this offense.

No. Ennis wasn't very good at getting the ball down low to our big men consistently. KJII may be imperfect and a freshman, but i believe ball distributors like him, joseph and G are better for this offense.

Let's not forget the guy's pace, and I don't mean Josh. If you thought the beginning to the game was in slow motion last night, try to imagine it with Tyler running the show. That pretty dunk on the break might not have happened either.

Is this a top 10 final 4 team?
No. Still too many holes. No shooters, which may be ok if we had a dominant inside game to help free up the Cooney, but we don't. If we did have a dominant inside player we'd still have very little depth there.

For all his struggles, Joseph is making passes, finding teammates in transition, and finishing floaters in a way that Ennis could not as a freshman. Would Ennis have been better at those things as a sophomore? Maybe, but I'm happy with the guy we've got.

For all his struggles, Joseph is making passes, finding teammates in transition, and finishing floaters in a way that Ennis could not as a freshman. Would Ennis have been better at those things as a sophomore? Maybe, but I'm happy with the guy we've got.

I love Joseph, and I think in time that he's going to be a great player for us. That might even begin to happen this year. But right now, he's not nearly as adept as Ennis at facilitating our half court offense.

The opposite side to that coin is that he does other things better [like push the ball, drive and dish].

Ennis wasn't very good at getting the ball down low to our big men consistently.
I think he could have been, his top priority was always to get Cooney looks though, sometimes to the detriment of other shots. I'm thinking of fast breaks where he pulled up instead of going to the basket so he could look and see if Cooney would have a chance at a trailing three point attempt.

We've only sporadically down a good job feeding the post over the decades. It's frustrating.

Come to think of it, ribs sound good right now and I wouldn't mind making this a team effort!
Id throw down on some Dino right now. Ill put anyone to shame that would like to challenge me...and most importantly pay. :)

Imagine a lineup with Joseph, Gbinije, Grant, McCullough and Xmas

was it that he wasn't capable of getting the ball down low because of skill or because the offensive strategy wasn't based on getting the ball to a post player? We saw the baseline screen play almost every time down the court last year to get the ball to CJ. Their wasn't much deviation from starting the offense in that way last year. The focus wasn't on getting the ball into the bigs but rather to Cj. In my opinion Ennis would have no problem getting the ball into the post this season and also getting the ball to Christmas in the pick N roll because it would be stressed point and bigger part of the offense. Ennis early in the season was very good in the pick n roll, where I have yet to see it much this season. Like someone said above it a moot point because he's not walking through that door this year.

Grant is more needed than Ennis. We are hurting as SF right now but Grant couldn't shoot to stretch defenses. McCollough could have stretched defenses and had Grant slide over to next to Rak.

We still likely lose to Cal with Ennis but we are obviously a better team.

next year is our year. CM is gone and we have an outstanding class coming in highlighted by Bryant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom