If ever there was a time to deep six the zone... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If ever there was a time to deep six the zone...

This team plays very lethargically, just maybe switching to man would affect the energy level.
I agree with the lethargy. And that applies to both offense and defense. No crispness of movement or passes. No motion that looks aggressive.
But that energy could be applied to zone as well. Too many downsides with this group in M2M.

Sounds like a system problem to me. Why force a complex defense on guys who can't play it? Especially when two of the seven are only here for one season only and the eighth looked like he hadn't ever practiced zone despite being on the hill for a year.
I think the zone complexity is being overstated just a little bit. I think as a foundation defense it is just becoming more flawed as college offenses evolve. It's getting to the point where you need freak personnel at every spot to make the zone effective 24/7. And then you need those freak athletes to stick around for at least 2 years. On top of that, sometimes even a good athlete with long arms won't "get it".

It's a broken system that had a great run. Even the Roman Empire eventually crumbled. Even so I hope Hop will still play it when there are obvious personnel advantages or we just need to change things up during the course of a game.

Boeheim has become the champion of Can't. He should trademark Boeheim's Can't. He never publicly says why we can't play M2M, we just can't. I guess that means he sees it in practice and decides we can't. But then he also says we spend almost all of practice working on the zone so by association that means we can't.

He's said the same thing about every team we've had since the mid-90s. We can't no matter what quality of athletes we have on the roster. Somehow they just can't take a guy and check him. Almost the entire college basketball world plays M2M in one form or another all the way down to D3 but somehow even with elite athletes we can't. I've never quite understood that one other than he can't teach it.

I learned something new from him on recruiting this year, too. There's a can't in there as well. You can't recruit multiple players for one position at the same time. Why? Because you might hurt your main recruit's feelings so you just can't.

As a person of the older persuasion, one thing I've learned in all these years is when you repeatedly say you can't what you really mean is you personally can't. Not that others around you can't, it's that you can't. The less fearful among us older folk never say can't because we prefer 'why not' to can't any day. Can't makes you feel older, why not makes you feel younger.

I'm on the older side and sometimes when I say Why Not I wish I hadn't. :rolleyes:

I think the zone complexity is being overstated just a little bit. I think as a foundation defense it is just becoming more flawed as college offenses evolve. It's getting to the point where you need freak personnel at every spot to make the zone effective 24/7. And then you need those freak athletes to stick around for at least 2 years. On top of that, sometimes even a good athlete with long arms won't "get it".

It's a broken system that had a great run. Even the Roman Empire eventually crumbled. Even so I hope Hop will still play it when there are obvious personnel advantages or we just need to change things up during the course of a game.

So it's broken as of this year? Seemed to work fine last year on the Final Four run...and the last 4 years with two Final Fours...

EDIT: It could easily be argued that it was because of the zone that Syracuse made it to those Final Fours...but apparently it is broke?!?! Pfffttt...please...

they knew they would be playing zone...they still chose to come to Syracuse to play
That's true. I've got no argument for that. But it's obvious at this point that zone isn't going to work with this group of players and the staff is trying to fit square pegs into round holes because they're unable to switch from their system.
With this collection of ability, how in the world would they play effective M2M.
Because it's a simple defense and they've been playing it for most of their lives? JAB's 2-3 zone isn't some simple defense that magically works, if it did every team would use it. It takes a lot to go right to work against good teams. When it goes right, it's a thing of beauty. No denying that. When players don't get it or understand the rotations, they're going to be hung out to dry. Look at what SU, a middling offense with good shooters, does to a crappy zone (EMU, BU, etc.). It's not magic just because it's a 2-3, but it can be great when they have the right players in the right positions. Every team can play a passable man defense with 2-3 star athletes, but SU can't with their athletic talent? Thompson played in a really competitive HS/prep league.

Playing M2M may allow them to play the best offensive lineup and they can just try to bury teams. Missing a real PG makes that tough, too, but getting embarrassed by STJU and BC should be cause for some serious introspection.

I can see those that think we should switch to m2m because the zone this year is not working, see Fly Rodder...I am just not very optimistic at all about this team right now and that I am not sure the style would make any difference...but I could see trying it for the sake of change to see if it work...wouldn't hurt. But I have an issue with those that say we change because the system doesn't work and it is old and outdated...two Final Fours in four years say HELLO, what about us?!?! With this team, the zone and press do not appear to be effective...but saying that the zone is not an effective system and has gone the way of the Roman Empire is wrong...

So it's broken as of this year? Seemed to work fine last year on the Final Four run...and the last 4 years with two Final Fours...
It didn't suddenly "break" out of nowhere. It has been bending and bending over the past few years. There is a confluence of issues contributing to this year's breaking point which has been documented in about 50 different threads. But my general theme is that if you put the 2012-13 FF personnel on this squad - the defense would certainly improve significantly but it would not be nearly as effective as it was even 4 years ago because the game and players are evolving in ways that stress zones like never before.

And the zone didn't work fine last year. If we didn't switch out we were toast against Gonzaga and VA.

Seemed to work fine last year on the Final Four run
With two guards at the top who had A) the size and B) 3 and 5 years of experience with it, plus Malachi, a McDonald's AA who was athletic enough to cover the three on the wing (even though he had his moments). They were replaced them with a sophomore who played few minutes, a 5'9" guard from a lower D1 school, and a 5th year senior who had zero experience and didn't even get to campus until damn near September.

Who knows, but JB may be thinking long term. They're going to play it next year, so might as well teach it. We aren't doing crap this year, and they suck in M2M too. At least this way they're gaining experience and maybe it dawns on some of them that standing in place isn't good.

With two guards at the top who had A) the size and B) 3 and 5 years of experience with it, plus Malachi, a McDonald's AA who was athletic enough to cover the three on the wing (even though he had his moments). They were replaced them with a sophomore who played few minutes, a 5'9" guard from a lower D1 school, and a 5th year senior who had zero experience and didn't even get to campus until damn near September.

I think we are basically agreeing with each other...just along a parallel route. With this team, it does not work...it doesn't mean that zone defense doesn't work anymore...

It didn't suddenly "break" out of nowhere. It has been bending and bending over the past few years. There is a confluence of issues contributing to this year's breaking point which has been documented in about 50 different threads. But my general theme is that if you put the 2012-13 FF personnel on this squad - the defense would certainly improve significantly but it would not be nearly as effective as it was even 4 years ago because the game and players are evolving in ways that stress zones like never before.

And the zone didn't work fine last year. If we didn't switch out we were toast against Gonzaga and VA.

That is my point though...it is not the defense system they are playing...it is the personnel. This current group of players are not effective in the zone AND the press...last year's team, obviously, was highly effective when they pressed...this years not so much...what is the difference? Not the defense system, whether zone or press, that they employ...not the coaches, got the same coaches...the only other difference is the players, which means it is personnel problem not a system problem...

It is not a system question it is a personnel question. The personnel that we have don't seem to be able to work together well enough to run the system. Whether it is a matter of desire/effort, athletic ability or understanding isn't entirely clear. I don't think that the system itself is broken, but I do think that the system is broken with respect to the group that we currently have trying to run it.

The key question is; what is keeping them from playing even half effective defense today? Is it something that can be changed enough to make a difference? If it is, maybe they need to stick with the system and continue working at it. If it is the case that no matter how much they buy in they are still either (i) not athletic enough or (ii) too dense to understand and execute their responsibilities correctly then we need to try something else.

I guess no one knows the answer at this point. Many of us feel like we've seen enough to know that we probably don't want to see how continuing to try to learn to play zone correctly is going to go against the remainder of the ACC schedule.

If you can't execute the defense well, why be exclusively committed to it?

If you can't shoot threes well, you wouldn't exclusively shoot 3s in the hopes of improving over the course of the season.

We've certainly seen years where we've tried to implement a press and seen it be totally ineffectual and then JB has refused to use it further.

How is this any different? If it isn't working, try something different.

I think we are basically agreeing with each other...just along a parallel route. With this team, it does not work...it doesn't mean that zone defense doesn't work anymore...
I think so and one of the issues is that Boeheim is head coach, but he's got an definite expiration date, which makes him a lame duck (I don't know any nicer way to say that). However, he's still recruiting for his system and he's handicapped for a multiple reasons. One of which is that he looks for very specific players to fit the zone most of the time. That eliminates a lot of potential recruits right from the start. Add in that they recruit from a limited geographic area. Eliminates another group of potential recruits. Throw in the sanctions and some really bad misses (Chino, Diagne, Kaleb, Buss, BJ, etc.) and he no longer has the players that fit his system (lanky athletes and guys with 3-4 years experience with the zone). Next season won't be better on D and then it's Hop's turn. That scares me because I want to know that SU, as a program, is bigger than one guy and a very specific defense.

Coach is stubborn and will say anything to deflect discussion on m2m. He is unwilling to teach it and play it...whatever...I am in the boat who would like to see a mix but at this point we are forced to hold out until the old man retires. I really hope we get new blood soon with new ideas for Syracuse basketball. I was ready for a change when all of the Bernie crap hit the fan, was ready again when we hit our second round of probation and am ready now given the downward trend in recruiting and winning percentages. The end game for most great coaches can get ugly because no one wants to push a hall of gamer out the door...but damn...we need a new dynamic coach with the energy to sell kids on Syracuse and getting them to the NBA.

I think so and one of the issues is that Boeheim is head coach, but he's got an definite expiration date, which makes him a lame duck (I don't know any nicer way to say that). However, he's still recruiting for his system and he's handicapped for a multiple reasons. One of which is that he looks for very specific players to fit the zone most of the time. That eliminates a lot of potential recruits right from the start. Add in that they recruit from a limited geographic area. Eliminates another group of potential recruits. Throw in the sanctions and some really bad misses (Chino, Diagne, Kaleb, Buss, BJ, etc.) and he no longer has the players that fit his system (lanky athletes and guys with 3-4 years experience with the zone). Next season won't be better on D and then it's Hop's turn. That scares me because I want to know that SU, as a program, is bigger than one guy and a very specific defense.

I agree...I have been thinking that this has been a "perfect storm" brewing scenario and now that storm is making landfall and creating chaos...

I would add, that not only are you limited by physical and geographic attributes, but also you are hoping that the player has the mental willingness to commit to play the zone defense...in this case, perception says that this current team does not...

Coach is stubborn and will say anything to deflect discussion on m2m. He is unwilling to teach it and play it...whatever...I am in the boat who would like to see a mix but at this point we are forced to hold out until the old man retires. I really hope we get new blood soon with new ideas for Syracuse basketball. I was ready for a change when all of the Bernie crap hit the fan, was ready again when we hit our second round of probation and am ready now given the downward trend in recruiting and winning percentages. The end game for most great coaches can get ugly because no one wants to push a hall of gamer out the door...but damn...we need a new dynamic coach with the energy to sell kids on Syracuse and getting them to the NBA.

Sorry, but I have to laugh...I am seeing more and more of these posts, and I would bet that some of those people (maybe not you, you just happen to be the one that I am replying to) were saying just the opposite last March/April, and dreading the fact of JB retiring...now all of sudden they can't wait to see him go...

Sorry, but I have to laugh...I am seeing more and more of these posts, and I would bet that some of those people (maybe not you, you just happen to be the one that I am replying to) were saying just the opposite last March/April, and dreading the fact of JB retiring...now all of sudden they can't wait to see him go...

Look I love the man but we all know he is stubborn and he is what...71/72 years old...so we should just ride this out until he strokes out on the sideline? Every coach has a shelf life and based on the current stink I think we are getting damn close on this one.

Look I love the man but we all know he is stubborn and he is what...71/72 years old...so we should just ride this out until he strokes out on the sideline? Every coach has a shelf life and based on the current stink I think we are getting damn close on this one.

Understood, and I just replied to your post, just wasn't directing my response at you. I love the man too...and I agree that maybe it is time for him to move on...

.we need a new dynamic coach with the energy to sell kids on Syracuse and getting them to the NBA.

Yet when we sell kids on the NBA and they end up "one and done" (McCullough, Ennis, Richardson) everyone's mad that they leave early.

I'm right handed. I couldn't hit an Aroldis Chapman fastball even if I kept both eyes open.

Why do people think I should try left handed instead?
Being an avid Cubs fan, now I have to comment. A better Chapman analogy would be that even though he throws a 100+mph, Chapman still throws a slider every now and then, because the guys in MLB are good enough to sit on the heater, and every now and then, hit it. The analogy to syracuse Bball would be to mix it up showing different looks. Personally, I don't think this would help this group much. I don't think it's bad players, but it appears to be a bad mix. It happens

Yet when we sell kids on the NBA and they end up "one and done" (McCullough, Ennis, Richardson) everyone's mad that they leave early.

Right on...we just need to restock every year.

Promoting and selling the program is such a big deal...we knock Calipari but my god he is good at this stuff.

I am hopeful that Hop has the energy and charisma to connect with today's top recruits once he gets the keys.

After 14 games, seeing every possible combination on the court, I would say it is more than theories.
The bigs don't defend well inside -- the guards and wings aren't stopping penetration or stopping the opponent's best shooters from getting open threes. When we press, the opponents easily get the ball up the court because our defenders aren't quick enough to get steals. Every player is trying (per my observations).
SoBristol... your observations are spot on. When speaking of theories I'm referring to the underlying reason why they seem incapable of executing the tasks they are called upon to do. There is a plethora of observables that are obvious as to what the shortcomings are. My question is why has the staff been completely unable to get this group to coalesce into a "Syracuse zone"? Is it the kids inability to grasp the concepts of the zone? ... is it that because the 2 5th year transfers are too ingrained with the defensive precepts of their previous programs? Is it because there is bad blood between some of the players? Is it because of animosity toward JB? That's what I'm wondering about. All of those reasons have been put out there by posters here... I just wonder which if any of them hold water and to what degree.

Right on...we just need to restock every year.

Promoting and selling the program is such a big deal...we knock Calipari but my god he is good at this stuff.

I am hopeful that Hop has the energy and charisma to connect with today's top recruits once he gets the keys.

Calipari has a bigger checkbook. ;)

I'm not mad that they left early. I think SU should advertise to recruits that they get kids to the NBA - including those that weren't top-20 all-American recruits. Calipari certainly does. K does. Sean Miller does. Bill Self does.

The Syracuse fans who do get mad do so because they're blaming problems of subsequent squads on kids who departed early to the NBA. That's on the staff for not managing their roster and recruiting with the expectation that kids with NBA talent are going to want to go the NBA. People can complain about Ennis and Malachi all they want, but it doesn't change the fact that they were both 5-star guards with professional skills. McCullough was gone before he even stepped foot on campus.