If ever there was a time to deep six the zone... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

If ever there was a time to deep six the zone...

Give me a break. Last year's team played pretty good defense, even with limited personnel and some issues in the pivot. This year's team doesn't. What's the difference? The coaching staff didn't forget how to coach in the 8 months since April's final four.

Being out of position, not challenging shooters, not moving their feet, standing around watching the ball swing -- absolutely on the players.
I was referring specifically to the press.

I was referring specifically to the press.

You caught me while I was editing the post, too.

I don't disagree with that, or what Orangeman states above a few posts ago. Our press has been subpar for a LONG time, especially compared to peer programs. We rely too much upon shot blocking to negate attempts and erase mistakes.

My kingdom for the 2012 squad...

White and Gillon will never be good defenders in any system. White's not quick enough and Gillon is small and really doesn't utilize his quickness like he should. Eustacy benched him at Colorado State last year because he didn't play defense at times. You are seeing what happens when the guys who are first and third on your team in minutes played are incapable of defending.

Makes playing defense that much more difficult when there are no offensive sets or they are run poorly, players missing bunnies and dunks and limited offensive rebounding, except when Robey decides to actually show up...

This is true, but our fan base hates the four year guys too. Good riddance Patterson, Joseph, BJ. That was more or less the sentiment. I know sanctions played a part, but we could have kept one or two, no?

I mean, Patterson would be a gem on this team. Limited offensively, but his defense is much needed. Joseph would have been serviceable, etc...

I won't deny it but I was one of the "good riddance" guys. Looking back at the time I still stand by it and in all honesty, I feel the same way.

The issue is what we've brought in. In the past two years we've brought in, Mali, Lydon, Howard, 7'2", White, Gillon, Battle, Thompson and Moyer.

Mali, Lydon, Thompson, and Battle. Bravo, one left early, should've prepared for it or had a contingency plan. We did not.

White and Gillon. One year dudes, not going to give the staff any bad statement on them. We needed them like it or not.

Howard, 7'2". Just bad.

Moyer. TBD. While I know it's not a popular opinion I have of him and while I have no problem red shirting guys who need further development, but come on. We're shorted scholarships, we have a roster where we returned one starter and one token starter, ALL HANDS ON DECK. We don't have time for red shirting a roster spot. I looked forward to Moyer's junior and senior year, but IMO is that worth of 3 years of a wasted scholarship to somebody that can help a .500 team compete?

This is Syracuse not freaking Boston College. We're better than the Chinoso's, Buss's, Howard's etc etc, why we've been settling for these guys over the years astounds me, especially with the final fours in our back pocket this decade.