If this team could ever get anything out of Joseph | Syracusefan.com

If this team could ever get anything out of Joseph

There's no reason to think KJ won't continue to improve. He's not turning the ball over as much, now he just needs to get a feel for the offense and to learn to pick his spots. Same thing on defense. In a world where Rak Xmas can put up 35 points, Kaleb Joseph can make these improvements!

we might just have enough to get into the tourney
Kaleb and Buss played about the same mins last night so imo ONE of those two need to step up. Imo if either Kaleb or Buss improve and TRob improves we will finish top 5 in ACC and make the Dance. Will need some mins from BJ and CO also...

Kaleb looks frightened out there. He only drives while he gets an open look on the wing when his man collapse's on him. The only reason his TO's are dwindling are because he's playing like a middle man out there. We could get the white dude on the end of UNC's bench to do the same. He's sooo much better than this. He's young, but you gotta wonder if he's that put the team on my back kindda guy.

Maybe he isn't as polished as Tyler was, but for a frosh PG we are getting quite a bit from him.
Yep. He's not scoring, but he's facilitating very nicely these days.

I was very disappointed to see Ennis leave, but I was excited because I thought we'd have a fun, run & gun, attacking point guard in Kaleb. He's become strictly a get-us-into-our-offense game manager. That's not exactly what I had in mind.

There's a reason he hasn't been turning the ball over; he's playing way too close to the vest. In poker, the term is, "playing scared money."

There's a reason he hasn't been turning the ball over; he's playing way too close to the vest. In poker, the term is, "playing scared money."

And when you know a guy plays like that or is playing like that its very easy to represent a strong hand and pick up an easy pot and if he has the nuts he'll usually tip you early enough to cut your losses. You've gotta be willing to gamble if you want to win. It does correlate with Joseph right now though because he's become predictable,easy to read and non threatening because he doesn't push his advantages when he has them. I think he's still going through the process and learning one thing at a time. He'll get there.

I was very disappointed to see Ennis leave, but I was excited because I thought we'd have a fun, run & gun, attacking point guard in Kaleb. He's become strictly a get-us-into-our-offense game manager. That's not exactly what I had in mind.

Or playing tight in poker terms. Quite often the tight player makes the final table. Maybe hes just doing what JB wants him to do on offense and its his defense that is limiting his pt. who knows

Exactly, jordoo, if Kaleb were at my Hold 'Em table I'd label him a "nit."

Or playing tight in poker terms. Quite often the tight player makes the final table. Maybe hes just doing what JB wants him to do on offense and its his defense that is limiting his pt. who knows

He might but he'll have less chips to work with and still will have had to gamble along the way. Lots of players in big tourneys play a pretty tight strategy until they make the money and then they change it up, but they still have to take a chance or two to get to the money.

Yeah, but even tight poker players take advantage of their image and switch gears once in a while. It can't be any easier to play against a guy who plays nitty all the time. Those guys never make the final table.

his biggest issues right now are:

1. Defensive rotation
2. Passing up good shots for forced shots
3. Chest passes instead of bounce passes/head fakes

Yeah, but even tight poker players take advantage of their image and switch gears once in a while. It can't be any easier to play against a guy who plays nitty all the time. Those guys never make the final table.

Yep where a NIT when they finally get a hand only gets diminishing returns as everyone knows they have the nuts because they called or raised after the flop. Whatever your strategy is you have to play off of it and you have to be willing to gamble IMO if you ever want to win big.

Yep, he played that way against Villa so we know its possible. When this team plays aggressive/attack (dont think too much/ breathe thru your eyelids, whatever you want to call it) they are pretty good imo. When they get tentative (ie hesitate on their jumpers) and go into slow down they seem to struggle more

Last edited:
I was in a big hand in a $2,500 buy-in tournament. We were literally on the tournament bubble. The next guy out gets nothing. Making the money meant at least $8,000. I was heads up against a pro, Chris Klodnicki. Look him up. He's a beast. Has millions in career earnings and a very high rating on the poker index.

It was a paired board on the flop. The turn gave me the Ace high flush but there were straight flushes out there and obviously I lose to a boat too. The river was a blank and he shoved. After going in the tank for about 3 minutes I fold. He shows just two pair--a bluff, basically. I folded because I was scared of busting on the bubble. I wound up coming in 14th place and won $9,500 but if I had called, I would've been 2nd in chips and really hurt one of the most established pros, going into the final two tables.

I regret that hand all the time and think about it a lot. It was a good lesson not to play "scared money."View attachment 33687

There I am in the hand. Klodnicki is in the foreground. A little self-deprecating visual aid.

Last edited:
I was in a big hand in a $2,500 buy-in tournament. We were literally on the tournament bubble. The next guy out gets nothing. Making the money meant at least $8,000. I was heads up against a pro, Chris Klodnicki. Look him up. He's a beast. Has millions in career earnings and a very high rating on the poker index.

It was a paired board on the flop. The turn gave me the Ace high flush but there were straight flushes out there and obviously I lose to a boat too. The river was a blank and he shoved. After going in the tank for about 3 minutes I fold. he shows just two pair--a bluff, basically. I folded because I was scared of busting on the bubble. I wound up coming in 14th place and won $9,500 but if I had called, I would'be been 2nd in chips and really hurt one of the most established pros, going into the final two tables.

I regret that hand all the time and think about it a lot. It was a good lesson not to play "scared money."
Thats great for Poker but in bball terms remember Ennis played tight last year, very conservative, ie quite often only looked to score if none others were; it was late in shot clock and rarely if ever pushed the fastbreak. But when you look at Ennis last yr and Kaleb this year, maybe its how JB wants his Freshmen PGs to play.....

jb in his press conferences continues to say we need more for him, he has to score, and hes going in circles instead of attacking the basket. unless jb is bluffing, id say hes not doing what jb wants.

jb in his press conferences continues to say we need more for him, he has to score, and hes going in circles instead of attacking the basket. unless jb is bluffing, id say hes not doing what jb wants.
That is true, but still find it interesting that Tyler was hardly an attack pg last year. Two yrs in a row we have conservative freshmen PGs

Interesting coincidence that BOTH Kaleb and TRob are hesitant to pull the trigger, its just one of those years

He was so good in the nova game, we know he's capable.
First half Nova Joseph was fabulous. I was so excited to see him playing well. What I don't remember is what happened to him in the second half? Did he make some gruesome mistakes? Was his confidence rattled by the second half?

Anyone remember? Because that game has been erased from my mind.

I regret that hand all the time and think about it a lot. It was a good lesson not to play "scared money."View attachment 33687

There I am in the hand. Klodnicki is in the foreground. A little self-deprecating visual aid.

Why isn't this you avatar??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom