If we strike out on portal big man | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we strike out on portal big man

I think Jessie can score. He has shown a little baby hook and he can also hit face up jumpers.
Jesse has shown a propensity to shoot face up jumpers. Not "hit"

I honestly hope that he stays and works his tail off over the summer to cultivate a back to the basket game and some up and unders, spin moves, etc..
Why? No part of the SU offense includes big men using back to the basket moves. Hasn't since Rak left.

Not trying to be snarky, just dealing with realities here. Why would a big man with a decent offensive game come to the Cuse? They are expected to man the middle of the zone, contest corner threes when the forwards are covering for the guards, and grab rebounds occasionally.

Man, I'm way too cynical today.

It's funny. The issue with Edwards before was that he was more of an offensive big than a defensive one.

Then it turned out this season he was a difference maker on defense, and some people believe... what exactly? That now he's not actually an offensive big?

Edwards is potentially the best two way center we've had since Rak, y'all.

It's funny. The issue with Edwards before was that he was more of an offensive big than a defensive one.

Then it turned out this season he was a difference maker on defense, and some people believe... what exactly? That now he's not actually an offensive big?

I think he's shown alot of promise on both offense and defense. The real question...he "ready"? (asked with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

If Edwards comes back we get a formidable defensive presence at the 5, but little to no offense. With Jesse we're completely missing a dependable, low post, back-to-the-basket game, and that's WITH Quincy should he come back. It will be another year of double digit losses. A full season and we'll see 13-15 losses.

All that being said, if we can't snag a center that provides us w the defensive and offensive presence we need, we're going to go through this again. We lost out on Tape and the Purdue guy last year. Let's see who we strike out on this year. Very frustrating. Fingers are crossed.
I don't see that loss total if the guards return we keep Q, the guards come back, Jesse and Frank. Losing Bras will hurt, but we have a good incoming freshman. Hard to see us losing 3 or 4 guys and not picking up any help. Now if Q leaves that would be a huge void IMO. Hope Bras decides to tay but if Quincy and AG stay we add the stud freshman I wont blame his decision making at all. Kids want to play. I see Edwards making another jump and we have yet to see how good FA will be, what we did see looked very promising. I see the biggest loss as Marek, he did so many unsung things, a great outlet against pressure.

With all the names in the transfer portal, if we can't get a big that can contribute... that isn't a good sign for the program.
Or a sign of the quality of big guys in the portal

Big problem with this viewpoint... Houston forced us to win with Marek and Quincy. It would be a much different story if we had a guy like say Krutwig down low to at least present a low post option on offense. A lot of the time this game is determined by presence and ability of players, not actual numbers. Jesse's presence on defense is evidence of that. I'm just asking for that same philosophy to benefit us on offense, in the paint, near the basket. That's all I'm asking, and I think a huge portion of the fan base is asking for as well.
Good post. I agree, we absolutely need at least the threat of a low post scoring option, especially since we only have 1 guy that can consistently beat their man of the dribble.

I've seen flashes of Jessie's footwork to suggest that he might be able to do that. He definitely needs to add strength and weight to be able to hang onto the ball (not get stripped) and to finish through contact

I think we have more of a need to bring in a 4 than we do for bringing in a 5.

If Edwards comes back we get a formidable defensive presence at the 5, but little to no offense. With Jesse we're completely missing a dependable, low post, back-to-the-basket game, and that's WITH Quincy should he come back. It will be another year of double digit losses. A full season and we'll see 13-15 losses.

All that being said, if we can't snag a center that provides us w the defensive and offensive presence we need, we're going to go through this again. We lost out on Tape and the Purdue guy last year. Let's see who we strike out on this year. Very frustrating. Fingers are crossed.
I don't know. How about giving him a summer to work on just a few low post moves. Allow the game to slow down a bit for him. I think he has promise.

same here. I think we’ll be fine with Jesse and Frank. But I’m also already on record as hoping Sid comes back and gets healthy.
Sid is a great kid, but let’s be honest, he physically can’t play basketball anymore. He needs to worry about walking the rest of his life, not playing another year of hoops at Syracuse.

If JB Reafsnyder can be an effective center at SU then Jesse has the potential to be a great SU center. He can develop significantly over the next 3 years. Love the potential that I see in him.

Why? No part of the SU offense includes big men using back to the basket moves. Hasn't since Rak left.

Not trying to be snarky, just dealing with realities here. Why would a big man with a decent offensive game come to the Cuse? They are expected to man the middle of the zone, contest corner threes when the forwards are covering for the guards, and grab rebounds occasionally.

Man, I'm way too cynical today.
You're reminding us how poorly we have recruited since the days of Rak, Fab, Onuaku, Rick Jackson. Are you saying we just abandon looking for a center who can offer us some offense too?! Is it that hopeless for us?

I don't see that loss total if the guards return we keep Q, the guards come back, Jesse and Frank. Losing Bras will hurt, but we have a good incoming freshman. Hard to see us losing 3 or 4 guys and not picking up any help. Now if Q leaves that would be a huge void IMO. Hope Bras decides to tay but if Quincy and AG stay we add the stud freshman I wont blame his decision making at all. Kids want to play. I see Edwards making another jump and we have yet to see how good FA will be, what we did see looked very promising. I see the biggest loss as Marek, he did so many unsung things, a great outlet against pressure.
I do agree with you, on second thought that we could be very good next year if the right pieces fall into place with what we currently have, improvement from some of our bigs, and Benny coming in. Double digit losses could be avoided. I totally agree with you after thinking about it a little more. We just need that darn offensive-minded center to come in who can also hold the fort down low in the zone. Is that too much to ask?

I don't know. How about giving him a summer to work on just a few low post moves. Allow the game to slow down a bit for him. I think he has promise.
I am hoping for this my friend. I think Jesse has the right attitude.

I think Jessie can score. He has shown a little baby hook and he can also hit face up jumpers.
Yes but his shot and even his baby hook have zero arc to them. He needs to have more touch off the ends of his fingers. This is something the right kind of shooting big can teach.

I hear what you are saying but we need some offensive production from our center... Playing 4 on 5 is not a recipe for a deep run...
he 5 points in 19 minutes against the best defense ive seen this season.

If he starts and play 30+ min a game ...with a full offseason...he will average double double, imo

Yes but his shot and even his baby hook have zero arc to them. He needs to have more touch off the ends of his fingers. This is something the right kind of shooting big can teach.
Once he’s more comfortable and confident, his touch around the basket will come.

You're reminding us how poorly we have recruited since the days of Rak, Fab, Onuaku, Rick Jackson. Are you saying we just abandon looking for a center who can offer us some offense too?! Is it that hopeless for us?
I’m saying Jim doesn’t care about having a center contribute on offense.

Writing off Edwards worked great this year didn't it? He was only our best player in our last game in the Sweet 16.

I’m saying Jim doesn’t care about having a center contribute on offense.
Offense is just a bonus with all the ground Edwards covers.

Hes got a decent stroke. But its not like I want him playing like AD and hanging out on the 3 point line.

Offensive boards result in offense we haven't gotten many of those recently.

Writing off Edwards worked great this year didn't it? He was only our best player in our last game in the Sweet 16.

he also had the worst BPM vs WVU. You can’t just pick one game.

he also had the worst BPM vs WVU. You can’t just pick one game.

Well again the sample size was small because the coach DNP'd the guy who was our best player in the Sweet 16 all year.

For Marek who is below average at rebounding for a 5. Watching all the skinny guys on Houston come away with everything absolutely made it ridiculous that we sat him all year.

The guys JB buried were good this year Woody and Edwards aren't Carey and Goodine. The guys who played over those 2 and Kadary were lesser players head to head IMO.

Buddy bailed his dad out of his worst season in recent memory.

It’s simple, we need another option at the 5. Assuming Marek and Sidibe move on with their lives, having only 2 kids capable of being in the middle of the zone won’t cut it when you consider their experience. Jesse will still be raw and prone to fouls. Frank is a complete unknown. We have no clue if he can contribute next year. It’s absolutely critical to have another body for fouls, injury, readiness, etc questions. If something happens, we’re playing Benny or Jimmy Jr at the 5? Come on.

It’s simple, we need another option at the 5. Assuming Marek and Sidibe move on with their lives, having only 2 kids capable of being in the middle of the zone won’t cut it when you consider their experience. Jesse will still be raw and prone to fouls. Frank is a complete unknown. We have no clue if he can contribute next year. It’s absolutely critical to have another body for fouls, injury, readiness, etc questions. If something happens, we’re playing Benny or Jimmy Jr at the 5? Come on.
Gosh just imagine? I want it, just to see this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom