I'm changing my view on next season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I'm changing my view on next season

They added the two forwards they did because all of the other forwards transferred, and these two forwards were 1) the natural born son of the coach, and 2) a former recruit and friend of several players on the roster (none of which are Benny)
If you recruit a 5 star guy, you have to guarantee him a lot. Like playing time and a starting position. Along the lines of when your ready, you get both, this year. Now they went out and recruited Cole because he is a shooter, especially from 3. That is a skill that very seldom is a frosh going to have and normally they aren't encouraged to take 3's. Then you have the other spot at forward. There were a lot of guys in the portal that were better players than James, but those guys want a guarantee to be a starter from day 1 and 30+/- mins a game. Right now or up til this point Benny did not look like he was ready to score much, so you have to play James more unless you want to get blow out every night. I truly believe when Benny's net goes up, he will assume a big role on this team, hopefully today. I personally feel he's ready.

If you recruit a 5 star guy, you have to guarantee him a lot. Like playing time and a starting position. Along the lines of when your ready, you get both, this year. Now they went out and recruited Cole because he is a shooter, especially from 3. That is a skill that very seldom is a frosh going to have and normally they aren't encouraged to take 3's. Then you have the other spot at forward. There were a lot of guys in the portal that were better players than James, but those guys want a guarantee to be a starter from day 1 and 30+/- mins a game. Right now or up til this point Benny did not look like he was ready to score much, so you have to play James more unless you want to get blow out every night. I truly believe when Benny's net goes up, he will assume a big role on this team, hopefully today. I personally feel he's ready.
You are full of h0t takes.

Cous is a good guy who needs attention.
He wants reaction so he can fill time. His opinions are his and it’s fine. He just wants to get sucked into endless debate to fill time.
Bless him.
I employ something called reason. I don't let base emotions cloud my judgement.

The number of new kids won't matter if the system of minutes and position distribution remain the same.

Right.

Next years recruiting class will play walk on minutes if we add a couple of proven transfers.

All of them are highly rated enough to be good players from day 1 but we won't know. Some might be projects.

I think pressure from the fanbase will result in JB picking up a couple proven transfers

I think we may be better (still bad, but better). Let's say Jesse takes another step in development. Benny has the switch go on and is an actual player. Symir plays the 1 and JG plays his natural 2. I take a flyer and play Frank at the 4 and hope the Frosh coming in can play - Jon as an emergency big...would that team be dramatically worse than this season's? We'd be more athletic, better rebounding, can't be worse defensively, not as good shooting, and a push on ball handling. Willingness and interest in passing would go up exponentially... lots of IF's but we may not be worse which at the current stage of the program might be all we can ask.

Sadly have to factor in that JB is not what he was in game anymore and that I'm not convinced he doesn't run the whole thing back one more year, but that is a different topic.

You'd better change it back.

Why? Today further strengthens my belief we will win more games next year.

Because many of the team's foundational problems that give this year's team such a low ceiling will also be present on next year's squad, and we'll likely lose the two top leading scorers from this year.

Not a formula for success, nor a combination that should inspire any semblance of confidence that things will improve.

Because many of the team's foundational problems will also be present on next year's squad, and we'll likely lose the two top leading scorers from this year.

Not a formula for success, nor a combination that should inspire any semblance of confidence that things will improve.
Didn't say we'd be good just better than this year. We aren't replacing Chris Mullin or Bill Bradley, contrary to what most/some on the board think.

Didn't say we'd be good just better than this year. We aren't replacing Chris Mullin or Bill Bradley, contrary to what most/some on the board think.

And that's fine to say -- knock yourself out. But I don't think there's any legitimate basis for such optimism, beyond wishful thinking.

No idea where you're going with the Mullin straw man.

I don’t see how we’re better next year, the portal can change that but we still play a defense that new players to it just can’t seem to do well in. We may be better inside the arc but worse outside, and believe it or not, the defense can be worse than it is. Next year has disaster written all over it.

I don’t see how we’re better next year, the portal can change that but we still play a defense that new players to it just can’t seem to do well in. We may be better inside the arc but worse outside, and believe it or not, the defense can be worse than it is. Next year has disaster written all over it.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom