I'm Done With the Zone | Syracusefan.com

I'm Done With the Zone

BallHugger

Walk On
I've had it. Is there a reason we always have to run it? Does it affect the way we recruit? The players we recruit?

I know of all the things talked about tonight this might be low on the totum pole, but I miss seeing man to man Defense.

The zone defense was sick last year.

This year is a worst case scenario for an "only" zone defense. We can't score which allows other teams to totally dictate tempo and Ennis, Cooney and to some extent Fair are smaller players than we usually have. The length everyone talks about with our zone isn't too applicable this year when those 3 are all on the floor together. Not to mention all 3 I just mentioned are routinely out of position.

If we dont force turnovers, the zone severely restricts our offense.

I think the zone is fine for defense..its what it does to our offense that I hate.

We used to run out of a zone before so it's got to be more than the zone. Maybe the players we have playing it. But our offense is unbelievably bad. We don't have a shooter on the team. Our go to guy can't dribble . We get nothing out of centers and no one tan hit a shot outside of 8 feet. I hate the exclusive use of zone also.

they said we were 13th in the ACC defending the 3 point shot in a game about a week or two ago

Last year's zone was crazy good because of the length at the top. That is missing this year. I am one who wishes they at least switch it up here and there. Playing exclusive zone defense is really not necessary IMHO, especially with this particular team. But it'll never happen. Even getting out of it to "shake things up" to me wouldn't have necessarily hurt this squad. But it's too late for that.

We give up about 60ppg, the zone isn't the problem.

I think the stats are somewhat misleading because teams are deliberately holding the ball on O for a long time. Yet I see open 3s at the end of shot clocks, easier penetration than usual, and much easier offensive rebounding. The zone this year seems to make it so that the opponent will always dictate tempo. It's not the main culprit of our problems, but I do think this team could benefit from shaking it up a bit.

You're right! No team in the history of basketball has ever given up an open 3 while playing man. I'm sick of watching poor zone defense for too many games, but we haven't seen a second of man since the LeMoyne loss. What an awful five seasons we've been subjected to.

We need to play defense better. We don't need to play man to accomplish that. But more important, we need to f****** score.

STEVEHOLT said:
If we dont force turnovers, the zone severely restricts our offense. I think the zone is fine for defense..its what it does to our offense that I hate.
Offense would be fine with a run of the mill ordinary shooting guard who can make some shot that every other team seems to have

You're right! No team in the history of basketball has ever given up an open 3 while playing man. I'm sick of watching poor zone defense for too many games, but we haven't seen a second of man since the LeMoyne loss. What an awful five seasons we've been subjected to.

We need to play defense better. We don't need to play man to accomplish that. But more important, we need to f****** score.

Let's be honest - this team really does not have to play exclusively zone defense for the entire game. We know JB will not come out of it - but really, does it have to be that set in stone? 300+ other teams can throw in something else at some point. You don't think the other team holding onto the ball waiting for creases is affecting the offensive tempo on the other end?

I've had it. Is there a reason we always have to run it? Does it affect the way we recruit? The players we recruit?

I know of all the things talked about tonight this might be low on the totum pole, but I miss seeing man to man Defense.

Zero issues with the zone as principle. Heck, if you do, the last 38 years have been trying times then.

Our O has been ugly. The zone not as fierce, but I can't complain about the zone too much. Heck if we played man, I worry Rak would be in foul trouble even quicker.

Other teams have always dictated tempo against our zone. The difference between this year and the recent past is that this year's team doesn't go on big offensive runs. Instead this year's team has multi minute offensive droughts.

Going up by double digits and having offensive firepower forces teams to pick up the tempo. This year teams have remained patient when down to us by double digits expecting us to go scoreless and let them back in the game.

Other teams have always dictated tempo against our zone. The difference between this year and the recent past is that this year's team doesn't go on big offensive runs. Instead this year's team has multi minute offensive droughts.

Going up by double digits and having offensive firepower forces teams to pick up the tempo. This year teams have remained patient when down to us by double digits expecting us to go scoreless and let them back in the game.

And this is why I would fine with JB mixing it up with this particular team. It makes sense to mix it up to (at the very least) try to change the tempo - because an offensively challenged team seems to be glued to the floor of running side to side 30-35 seconds or more on every other possession down court, creating a seemingly vicious cycle of prodding basketball.

You might want to find another team to cheer for, or in this case complain about. I don't think JB is going to change too much at this point.

Oh man I hate winning 150 games over the past 5 years with the zone. Our offense is the problem more than the zone and the lack of player development of the course of the season. Congrats your post makes me feel sad.

We dont have any true scorers that attack the basket. Tyler gets to the rim but its here and there and using the floater and being crafty. No one else is comfortable attacking the rim in the open court on the break unless there isnt a defender. MCW and Triche both at least had that in their game. I hoped MG would be that guy but he just wasnt comfortable. So we were stuck using mid range CJ, gumby jerami and 1 on 1 from tyler with trevor as bonus. We are very similar to ohio st in regard to offensive ineptitude...

It's obviously contradictory to say, (as has been said at times this year) that our scoring is down because of the slow tempo of the game but that our defense must be OK because they aren't giving up that many points. Last year's team gave up 0.895 points per possession. NC State had 61 possessions in this game. That's 55 points. We win.

The zone is fine, but I wish we'd do more pressuring up top. We did it a few times last night and it seemed to throw NC State off. Instead of just packing it in, I want to see a more proactive defense. Our guards aren't good enough at the top of the zone to force the bad passes that MCW/Triche could last year. There have been few runouts and fast breaks this year, partially because of the more passive zone than in recent years and partially because Ennis just doesn't run a good break.

We give up about 60ppg, the zone isn't the problem.

I agree, but I often find myself thinking with my coach's hat on and saying "We need a change, I need to shake this up." Being able to switch to M2M would be an easy way to do that. edit: I mean, I don't believe in epiphanies or instant cure-alls, but it's certainly a readily available option. This slug-like, stultifying cocoon is making it impossible to play or watch.

Last edited:
We're turning ino the UGA of College Basketball. Big name program, Always good recruiting classes, always go into the year as one of a few with a chance to win it all yet we consistently underachieve for a team with as much talent as we usually have.

I read earlier in this thread a mocking post about these past 5 years and how we're basically spoiled but guess what.. If our standard is the blue bloods, then our teams routinely underachieve. If we just want to be one of the best of the rest, then I guess we're doing just fine.

Last edited:

Been waiting since last May to post that, huh?
Best go find a m2m team to "hug"

We're turning ino the UGA of College Basketball. Always good recruiting classes, always go into the year as one of a few with a chance to win it all yet we consistently underachieve for a team with as much talent as we usually have.

I read earlier in this thread a mocking post about these past 5 years and how we're basically spoiled but guess what.. If our standard is the blue bloods, then our teams routinely underachieve. If we just want to be one of the best of the rest, then I guess we're doing just fine.

I disagree. I think you're overstating the talent level. We've been getting A results from a B+ level of talent for a long time through coaching, teamwork and hustle. There's not a lot of room to improve on that without another Carmelo Anthony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom