Im glad that TC is such a good D player | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Im glad that TC is such a good D player

I'm imagining Cooney is gonna see
Wonder if he follows the football team. That's pain.

I'm not gonna lie - I'm a being die hard fanover hoops and football - but Troy Nunes changed my love for the football team - I'm praying Cooney doesnt do that to me regarding hoops - though I know Cooney is done once Malachi gets here

Some people just don't seem to like Cooney and others get downright defensive over ANYTHING said about the guy. It's all annoying. If he doesn't step it up, he should be given a smaller role preferably off the bench, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

You know what else is annoying? Anti-player agendas, and rhetoric that starts after the second exhibition game.

If you're an SU fan, then root for everyone on the team instead of rooting for some to fail, and feel free to critique players on the basis of performance instead of throwing them under the bus over BS.

You know what else is annoying? Anti-player agendas, and rhetoric that starts after the second exhibition game.

If you're an SU fan, then root for everyone on the team instead of rooting for some to fail, and feel free to critique players on the basis of performance instead of throwing them under the bus over BS.

His performance has been bad

His performance has been bad
His outside shooting has been subpar so far. His defense has been good and he is not turning the ball over. I would not say his overall performance has been bad and i really doubt JB would say same.

His outside shooting has been subpar so far. His defense has been good and he is not turning the ball over. I would not say his overall performance has been bad and i really doubt JB would say same.
He wouldn't but at some point he has to develop some sort of consistency at the SHOOTING guard spot. Not just one game where he goes 7-8 from 3 and then can't hit the broad side of a barn the rest of the season. It's early and I hope he becomes a sharpshooting weapon for us as his defense and ball handling is good but you can't keep trotting out a shooting guard who is unable to shoot.

I haven't been able to watch these games and have been basing my thoughts on posts on here - how is he looking as a passer this season?

How quickly you forget we got to 25-0 last season and how key TC was in that historical stretch for SU. Streaks come, streaks go
I hate to be so negative in this thread as I really want Cooney to get it together but I'm so sick of hearing about 25-0.

Nobody outside of Syracuse cares about 25-0. All they remember from last years team is a squad that fell apart down the stretch and underachieved, yet again, in the tournament. Why did that happen? Because no one could shoot. We need people to be able to shoot, especially our shooting guard.

He wouldn't but at some point he has to develop some sort of consistency at the SHOOTING guard spot. Not just one game where he goes 7-8 from 3 and then can't hit the broad side of a barn the rest of the season. It's early and I hope he becomes a sharpshooting weapon for us as his defense and ball handling is good but you can't keep trotting out a shooting guard who is unable to shoot.

"Unable to shoot." Ok...

Stevie Thompson was unable to shoot. Trevor Cooney, streaky as he might be, can shoot.

I cant really disagree w you but im w JB. I think what he needs to work on most is putting it on the floor on a close out and getting it to the basket. I think we will see him improve in that aspect this season

I hate to be so negative in this thread as I really want Cooney to get it together but I'm so sick of hearing about 25-0.

Nobody outside of Syracuse cares about 25-0. All they remember from last years team is a squad that fell apart down the stretch and underachieved, yet again, in the tournament. Why did that happen? Because no one could shoot. We need people to be able to shoot, especially our shooting guard.
We have more shooters this season than last. But how could we not

Unable to shoot. Ok.

Stevie Thompson was unable to shoot. Trevor Cooney, while streaky, can shoot.
You're not being objective. You're just blindly defending him. I'm not dogging Cooney, I want him to succeed. His success means this team has a chance of being pretty friggin good but you can't act like he's even been an average shooting guard, he has not. He would not start for most of the top 25 teams in America playing how he did last year.

"Unable to shoot." Ok...

Stevie Thompson was unable to shoot. Trevor Cooney, streaky as he might be, can shoot.

I really wouldn't say streaky - after teams caught on that all he can do is shoot when open I would say he was pretty damn consistent - consistently bad - I'm not sure we have a great alternative but I'm hoping we mix things up playing wise

You're not being objective. You're just blindly defending him. I'm not dogging Cooney, I want him to succeed. His success means this team has a chance of being pretty friggin good but you can't act like he's even been an average shooting guard, he has not. He would not start for most of the top 25 teams in America playing how he did last year.

No I'm not. Calling him a D2 player isn't being objective. Bitching about him being unable to shoot is not being objective.

I'm not blindly defending anyone. I'm sick of the dogma. If he continues to struggle, well--we've got other options. But I think people are being hyper critical because he's the designated lightning rod.

I haven't been able to watch these games and have been basing my thoughts on posts on here - how is he looking as a passer this season?
Imo he is not very dynamic on O so far. Ie if he doesnt have a shot, quite often he simply pivots a couple times and then swings it on theperimeter. He rarely takes a chance w a pass and many times doesnt even dribble. I think he needs to keep shooting and then when teams close aggressively he needs to dribble by his guy and make a play. Imo hes our best 2 guard and there is far from a guarantee that Ron will pass him on the depth chart this year

No I'm not. Calling him a D2 player isn't being objective. Bitching about him being unable to shoot is not being objective.

I'm not blindly defending anyone. I'm sick of the dogma. If he continues to struggle, well--we've got other options. But I think people are being hyper critical because he's the designated lightning rod.
He's not a D-2 player, you're right, that's too far but "unable to shoot" depends.

He's had games where he's unconscious so clearly he can shoot but if you term "being able to shoot" as being a reliable, consistent shooter, then no he can't shoot (yet).

"Can we all just get along?"

rodney-king-red.png

It's a small sample size, but it's what that fans have to work with.

Take Rak, everyone wants to see a more aggressive Rak, through two games you're seeing that. It's a positive sign. Even if he wasn't scoring, he's showing that inclination, and that's a nice thing to see develop. Will it translate into the season, who knows, but we can see a glimpse of something.

Roberson, he may end up having a fantastic season, but I was really hoping to see something more from him in these games than what I saw. Right now - huge sad face. :(

G...I was pretty down on his long term prospects, but he's showed me something. It's encouraging - even if he wasn't scoring, he seems more aggressive, athletic, poised - all good signs. And his shoe stayed on throughout both games!! :)

Cooney, eh, what are we seeing? Fairly decent defense, and missed threes. I would think the hope is/was that TC would show a bit more of an all-around game. If he's still our designated sharp-shooter, and not much else, and he misses open threes like his job - it's a pretty natural reaction from most fans. Some of these posts are insane, the D2 crap for example, but perspectives will change as the season progresses. At least I hope so - or otherwise Cooney isn't hitting shots, and we're probably toast.

It doesn't help that the swoon last year coincided with his poor shooting - it just puts the bullseye on him even more with a Frosh PG. That sucks for Cooney, but I think most people at the end of the day would tell you that his shooting is the key. So they want their hopes for him to be that sharpshooter to be validated!

I also think a lot of the "hate" is because we have all seen what he is capable with his shooting. But I don't want it all in 6 games unless that happens to be in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom