I'm going to Defend JB | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

I'm going to Defend JB

Great point. And acting like that has sure helped a lot. It sure has got us a lot of good press nationally. Never double down on dumb and bad behavior. The press buys their ink in gallons and gallons. They will be here long after any of us including JB are gone. I have wondered whether the Post Standard would have gone to the lengths they did if it was coach Mac. Someone that treated them with respect.

The local press had to give respect to earn it.

Poochy should be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.
When’s he’s offscreen everyone should be asking “where poochie?”

Also cuserunner but that’s a given imo.

Ok, but look at the pants in that group photo.

No crime should go unpunished.
I owned pants like that once.

interesting how the goalposts have moved a few different times in this thread

You think George Steinbrenner would be happy and tolerate it if a really successful manager was no longer producing at the level he used to for several seasons in a row?

If you somehow took over managing your dealership and a guy who used to sell 200 cars a year was now just selling 10, you'd be ok with that?

CuseRunner can you address my questions above please?

It frustrates me that so called long time fans like myself want to take down JB. How ungrateful of some of you.
I dont want to take JB down, its that we want what's best for the program. This is going on year 7, things have stayed subpar since Hop left. Its a results business. JB will have a statue on campus but lets compare it to the real world. If a fortune 500 company had a 76 yr old CEO who wasnt getting results, the board of directors would have that CEO replaced. The Board needs to do whats best for the shareholders (kinda like alums, donors, fans, season ticket holders etc)

The question for JW and the BOT is how many years will they continue with this?

Now maybe the team stays in tact for the most part and Benny plays like a 5 star and the team is much better next year, but if not the same threads are going to get louder and louder next year

You are entitled to your opinion. But I find the style we have been playing boring. I think recruits do as well and that has effected the personal we are getting.
also, how/why does an xfer like Griffin and a recruit like Williams (just to name 2) choose SU at this point in time?

By the way, how old are you? The term long time fan may not play well on this board considering how long some of us have been Orange fans.
Yeah, unless you can pick Sonny Spira out of a line up, you aren’t a long time fan!

I agree, up until this year. We had what we had, and performed accordingly. Lots of unprecedented challenges that have made things much more difficult this year, but really for the first time I’m questioning the usage of the personnel.
I think if you take an honest look at personnel usage over the past 5 or so years you can point out missteps - BJ Johnson lack of playing time, Mike G positionally come to mind as well as scholarships given out - Bus Patterson, Chinoso as examples.
There's just been really questionable recruiting coupled with really questionable roster/lineup management

I think if you take an honest look at personnel usage over the past 5 or so years you can point out missteps - BJ Johnson lack of playing time, Mike G positionally come to mind as well as scholarships given out - Bus Patterson, Chinoso as examples.
There's just been really questionable recruiting coupled with really questionable roster/lineup management
If we had a good guard recruit coming in next year the temperature in the fanbase would be cooler as well.

The guard rotation barring a transfer addition is going to be the same next year.
JB will make the same statements next year and he won’t have any other options to consider.

It’s why he opens himself to this pushback. We aren’t talented enough to only offer 1 HS guard this cycle.

To become a good team we need better guard play and a rim protector.

More often than not I'm in the camp of JB doesn't develop a bench enough. But with BJ and Ron specifically, I feel like in the playing time they received (which I thought was generally fair) they just had a mind-boggling inability to put the ball in the basket. Shooting percentages in the high 20s and low 30s. (I know BJ was very good in that one game at ND). With Ron especially, sometimes it didn't even feel like he was a basketball player, but rather like a defensive back from the football team who was brought over because we needed a body.

For their sake I'm glad that both turned into good players at LaSalle and IUPUI.

More often than not I'm in the camp of JB doesn't develop a bench enough. But with BJ and Ron specifically, I feel like in the playing time they received (which I thought was generally fair) they just had a mind-boggling inability to put the ball in the basket. Shooting percentages in the high 20s and low 30s. (I know BJ was very good in that one game at ND). With Ron especially, sometimes it didn't even feel like he was a basketball player, but rather like a defensive back from the football team who was brought over because we needed a body.

For their sake I'm glad that both turned into good players at LaSalle and IUPUI.
Yeah with Ron I'm saying we never should have taken him, with BJ I'm saying him we should have given him more minutes early on and fostered his confidence - he was a real talent

Yeah with Ron I'm saying we never should have taken him, with BJ I'm saying him we should have given him more minutes early on and fostered his confidence - he was a real talent

I think a lot of it was BJ was just very young and wasn’t ready to help. He was 17 for the first half of his freshman season. You could see he was going to be good, he just needed time.

I don’t know how you can justify defending this man and the current state of program .Do you watch other teams play? We are outclassed. Rutgers is much better team Rutgers how can you live with that?

I was watching Duke-Clemson and they were mentioning how Duke has a lot of games left against good teams...Virginia, FSU, UNC twice. They didn’t mention us. Doesn’t sit right with me.
We need to beat Clemson next week they are a mess right now.

Therein lies the rub. BJ, like Woody, Bras, and others, showed plenty of flashes but never got any sustained PT to develop it. Until the last 3 years, this was acceptable- a young player plays badly, so he sits.
All of that's been turned upside down now where we see Buddy play like crap, w/ alternatives available on the bench, and STILL get the PT. Never saw a single instance of other players allowed to stink up the joint , on both offense and defense, on the premise they MIGHT start making some. It contradicts everything JB was supposedly about.

Therein lies the rub. BJ, like Woody, Bras, and others, showed plenty of flashes but never got any sustained PT to develop it. Until the last 3 years, this was acceptable- a young player plays badly, so he sits.
All of that's been turned upside down where we now see Buddy/JG3 play like crap, w/ alternative available on the bench, and they STILL get PT. Never saw a single instance of other players allowed to stink up the joint , on both offense and defense, on the premise they MIGHT start making some. It contradicts everything JB was supposedly about.
yep, agree

I think a lot of it was BJ was just very young and wasn’t ready to help. He was 17 for the first half of his freshman season. You could see he was going to be good, he just needed time.
Yes, almost all of these kids are a good two years older as freshman. If ever there was someone who would have benefited from a redshirt year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom