I'm pretty confident when I say this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm pretty confident when I say this

No, Rutgers is not better.

From a standpoint of consistency, yes, they are more able to find a way to win, but Syracuse is the better team when both teams fire up all cylinders.
I agree with Man on this one. We're the best team in the conference if we hold onto the ball. TO's were the difference between us and Cincy/Rutgers.

Bees also makes a good point. This team needed some time to come together. We didn't even have our OL set until the 3-4th game. Special teams has been a WIP, we've had receivers and TE's out. Now that the team is fully manned, we're playing to our potential.

We still have work to do. We got bit by the WR screen yesterday, and we're still vulnerable to that 'counter-draw' (?) that USF and Missou used to shred our defense. But getting a win there in dramatic fashion ... Nassib to Lemon (with the AD close enough to intercept) was a tall serving of redemption for this program.

I agree with Man on this one. We're the best team in the conference if we hold onto the ball. TO's were the difference between us and Cincy/Rutgers.

Bees also makes a good point. This team needed some time to come together. We didn't even have our OL set until the 3-4th game. Special teams has been a WIP, we've had receivers and TE's out. Now that the team is fully manned, we're playing to our potential.

We still have work to do. We got bit by the WR screen yesterday, and we're still vulnerable to that 'counter-draw' (?) that USF and Missou used to shred our defense. But getting a win there in dramatic fashion ... Nassib to Lemon (with the AD close enough to intercept) was a tall serving of redemption for this program.
Our team is far from perfect. What's nice about it is that we are playing much more consistent as the season has progressed. We should have had a better record but made mistakes. We need to win next week at Temple and then in the Pinstripe Bowl to close out a pretty successful season (8-5). No reason that can't happen.

They have a better record- they beat us and by every measure they have bigger, faster and more heavily recruited players.

That's not his point. It's about who has the better team, as in more capable. Who has the more complete team.

Rutgers has an excellent defense, and they play to that, but their offense is horrible. They can only play one way, they are very good at it, but it's one sided.

Missouri has bigger, faster and more recruited players, so does Louisville, Pitt, Nwestern, USC, and Minny. What difference does that make.

In the head to head match up they had one drive that started in their side of the field and scored. SU moved the ball consistently. SU plays Rutgers 10 times at worst it's 5-5.

“You are what your record says you are.” - Bill Parcells

That's not his point. It's about who has the better team, as in more capable. Who has the more complete team.

Rutgers has an excellent defense, and they play to that, but their offense is horrible. They can only play one way, they are very good at it, but it's one sided.

Missouri has bigger, faster and more recruited players, so does Louisville, Pitt, Nwestern, USC, and Minny. What difference does that make.

In the head to head match up they had one drive that started in their side of the field and scored. SU moved the ball consistently. SU plays Rutgers 10 times at worst it's 5-5.

You guys are focused on Rutgers. How about the part where he said that the team we beat by 3 TDs last week is better!

LOOK..I can end this thread right now.

rutgirls could be 12-0 and us 0-12 and lose to them 55-0 and we,as Syracuse fans, like the 300 Spartan warriors,would never concede to the girls from Persia.except the girls barely have 40,000

When we play like we did last week and yesterday, we are the best team in the Big East. Rutgers is designed to play hard nosed defense and capitalize on turn overs. Their offense sucks, plain an simple. Compare their wide receivers with Mizzou's, Rutgers wide receivers are big, fast and strong but have terrible hands. Mizzou's receivers are the same profile but have hands. Rutgers is also over-hyped, let them play our OOC and see where they are, they lose at least three, probably all five.

If Rutgers should win the Big East crown I believe they loose their bowl game. The elite teams play football both ways and do not rely solely on D or O, or even ST.

Rutgers is the over seeded team you hope is in your bracket, we are the under seeded team everyone is picking to make a run

Exactly. Everyone is arguing record. I'm not talking in the past. I'm saying right now today. We play any BE team tomorrow, who ya got? I've got SU vs anyone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We have been all year. We should have beaten both Rutgers and Cincinnati. Actually, we should have beaten Northwestern and Minnestoa, too. If we'd done that maybe Nassib would have been invited to New York.

We are the best team in the BE.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
it is precisely that arrogance through the years that has contributed to the ru rise and our downfall. living in the past and ignoring the progress of schools outside the city limits.every thread about ru gets very immature and complete denial for 10 pages that they are not our equal nor a rival. if not a rival,why 10 pages worth of venom. if they go to the big 10,as i have and some others have predicted for some time, i will have a lot to say because of my disappointment and anger at the many ostriches that have had their head in the sand for more than 10 yrs re ru .denial is more than a river in egypt,it flows down salina st,erie blvd,eastwood etc.

That's the god's honest truth.

I think we have the record we deserve. But our team, at their best is better than any other Big East team at their best.

As to OrangePA's statement that Rutgers is better because their players were more highly recurited, that's based on what these kids were in high school. I once asked Jim Boeheim: "If a player at age 25 is an NBA starter, isn't he about 20% of what he will be coming out of high school and about 80% of what he will be coming out of college." He agreed. To assume a team is better because their players were more hgihly recruited is to say that all coaching is is recruiting. The coaches OrangePA respects so much have a much greater impact on the players and the program than that.

Rutgers has such an overrated defense ... we put up over 400 yds against them and nearly doubled their offensive output ... they are a decent team but come on they are as much a bi-product of schedule as they are talent. Do you honestly think this SU squad loses to Kent St ... honestly Kent Friggin St. Is that your toughest OOC game ... based on performance it seems to be ... can we all just get a grip about that program already?

You guys are focused on Rutgers. How about the part where he said that the team we beat by 3 TDs last week is better!
Aye Orange Pa posts the last month make it sound like we have been battling Cortland State for recruits the last 4 years

I think you're right - many of the teams we played this year have more talent than we do, though the gap is obviously closing fast.

And maybe you're right that in a ten game series we would hold our own against the Scarlet Knights.

But, I think Rutgers is a lot better than you think even though they do not have a dynamic offense.

The strength of their defense is not be taken lightly. They beat up a Cincy team that moved the ball with ease against us - that says a lot.

I just don't want us to get ahead of ourselves. We are not their yet. We have a lot of work to do - we need a lot more investment.

But as you have observed all year, there is a great deal of progression in the program - regardless of the W-L record.

Aye Orange Pa posts the last month make it sound like we have been battling Cortland State for recruits the last 4 years

Its the same shtick ... I can say this much ... look at the recruits we nabbed in 08-09 ... (Nassib, Lemon and company) at the skill positions and who their offers were from other than the Cuse vs who we are nabbing today. You are literally talking about building a program with guys who had 0-1 BCS caliber offers and now moving forward with guys who have numerous BCS caliber offers like an Edwards, Thompson, Parris and others. Our line recruiting has been outstanding as well ... Wayne Williams, Emerich, Knapp, Manley and others. We are getting guys that 5 years ago were out of our reach. He just needs to get over it.

I think you're right - many of the teams we played this year have more talent than we do, though the gap is obviously closing fast.

And maybe you're right that in a ten game series we would hold our own against the Scarlet Knights.

But, I think Rutgers is a lot better than you think even though they do not have a dynamic offense.

The strength of their defense is not be taken lightly. They beat up a Cincy team that moved the ball with ease against us - that says a lot.

I just don't want us to get ahead of ourselves. We are not their yet. We have a lot of work to do - we need a lot more investment.

But as you have observed all year, there is a great deal of progression in the program - regardless of the W-L record.

Yeah and they gave up over 500 yds to Arkansas who was held to about 350 by Auburn ... a really bad SEC team ... just let it go ... they aren't a top 15 program so stop treating them as such.

Rutgers has such an overrated defense ... we put up over 400 yds against them and nearly doubled their offensive output ... they are a decent team but come on they are as much a bi-product of schedule as they are talent. Do you honestly think this SU squad loses to Kent St ... honestly Kent Friggin St. Is that your toughest OOC game ... based on performance it seems to be ... can we all just get a grip about that program already?
Kent st is about to be ranked higher than any of our OOC teams.

Yeah and they gave up over 500 yds to Arkansas who was held to about 350 by Auburn ... a really bad SEC team ... just let it go ... they aren't a top 15 program so stop treating them as such.

Good one - an SEC team predicted to be a top ten contender with a Heisman candidate at QB - playing for its conference life at home early in the season.

I guess that settles it, Rutgers is a poor defensive team.

Ugh.

Kent st is about to be ranked higher than any of our OOC teams.

LOL ... sure look at their schedule ... they were absolutely manhandled by Kentucky ... tell you what if they play a real "big boy" school in a bowl game just wait and see what happens. So your implication is they are better than USC? Really? You must be a Rutgers homer.

Nah...Rutgers is better and I am ok with that for this year. We are too inconsistent and they are not.

Wont last for long.

Good one - an SEC team predicted to be a top ten contender with a Heisman candidate at QB - playing for its conference life at home early in the season.

I guess that settles it, Rutgers is a poor defensive team.

Ugh.

LOL ... yep that SEC team that lost to ULM as home. Seriously get over yourself ... they were still playing for their lives when they collided with a bad Auburn program ... do I really need to explain this whole thing to you or are you going to remain ignorant till the day you die?

Actually, no.

I think you forget one important factor - the teams we have been playing got a head start during the Robinson years and have not stopped recruiting high quality kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom