I'm so burnt out on SU football | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so burnt out on SU football

We have our highest rated recruiting class in 5 years. Babers had 1 QB on the roster, no DE pressure, a weak secondary and people are acting like this year is shocking.
Our roster is bare thin. We actually have a leader and vision now. He needs to get multiple recruitng classes before we see big results.
We were never going anywhere with the previous regime. I believe Babers with his guys will have a good offense in the future. Our best player this year has been a 5th year guy who Babers brought in.

Exactly if me as the overly optimistic fan saw 6-6 as best case with dungey staying healthy and we would be on track if not the hurricane game and dungey missing the NC state game. next year we should clean up at home with fcs team, central michigan, m tennessee, pitt,bc and wake .

I get why people just feel like tuning out. Overall since 2001, we're probably THEE worst p5 program in football. Only one other team has gone that long without being ranked (Iowa State). Every single school has had at least 1 "where did that come from" type of season. BC, Rutgers, Wake, Virginia, Washington State, Colorado, Kansas...every crap program comparable to us, has had seasons where they ranked in the top 10 at some point, and that is what gives me hope. Why can Kansas put together a top 10 team. Why can BC? Washington State was a laughing stock. They're as secluded in the Northwest as we are in the Northeast.
What I can't get, is why specifically after this season, people are ready to throw in the towel. We got pretty much exactly what Dino told us we'd have, and pretty much exactly what reasonable fans assumed we'd achieve. We're most likely going to win 4 games. Most realistic fans predicted 4-5 wins with a healthy Dungey. I'm willing to bet that if Dungey was healthy, we beat NC state, and if we don't play in a monsoon, we beat Wake, putting us at 6 wins right now. I know...a lot of if's, but that has to be weighed into how we view this season. We all knew this would take a while to build. Depth, to me, is the biggest issue moving forward. I'm not all that worried about the talent level. I think with proper depth, we can win 7-9 games most years with the kind of talent we can reasonably expect here. We haven't even gotten out of first gear. Dino has not brought in 1 single recruit that he wants for his team. Even with all the injuries, lack of talent, and depth, we had a team good enough to win 6 games.
I hope you're in for the long haul, because depth won't be built over night, but I feel optimistic about our trajectory, so long as Dino is steering the ship.

I-A Winning Percentage 2002-2015

We are 99th of 119 teams listed. I took a look at the current standings:
NCAA FBS (Division I-A) Football Standings
and we currently have moved ahead of UTEP and Florida Atlantic but have been caught by Colorado so we at #118. There are five power conference teams below us: Vanderbilt, Kansas, Illinois, Duke and Indiana.

Kansas won a BCS game in 2007
Duke played in the ACC Championship in 2013
Illinois played in a BCS game in 2008
Vanderbilt plays in the SEC but still went to a bowl in 08 11 12 and 14
Indiana is terrible

Not good fam

I'm not that young . The year we had 7 wins , we lost a home game to Texas after one of the best comebacks in SU history on an endzone celebration call (IMO)

that was on P.

Oklahoma, not Texas.

I know because I still, to this day, have difficulty listening to the Boomer Sooner song they play ALL the time.

Wasn't the Texas game in the dome the one where the railing gave way and Graves almost got crushed by students?

Tulane is one of the finest universities in the South . They just built a new stadium and hired a new coach and are located in NOLA . There is no reason to think they couldn't be as good as Baylor , TCU , Stanford or Southern Cal . WMU is a good low level state school .
But what Alsacs said was "LSU fans are as worried about the football prowess of Tulane as Michigan is of Western Michigan." You took his analogy about nearby lower-level football programs and flipped it into Alsacs is somehow ignorant because you perceive he's not aware of how great of an academic institution Tulane is. You literally took a throwaway comment and turned it into a matter of contention.

Shafer wasn't recruiting for Baber's system .

Sigh.

Exactly. The cupboard was not stocked to fill Baber's system. No one expected Shafer to do so - but the end result - not having great QB depth brings us exactly to where we are. That's the point.

But what Alsacs said was "LSU fans are as worried about the football prowess of Tulane as Michigan is of Western Michigan." You took his analogy about nearby lower-level football programs and flipped it into Alsacs is somehow ignorant because you perceive he's not aware of how great of an academic institution Tulane is. You literally took a throwaway comment and turned it into a matter of contention.
LSU people will keep them down , if they can .

Whether HCDB is the man to turn the ship around is an unknown at this time. We all hope he is as we are the core of a dwindling base of fans who even care about Syracuse football.

What is known, beyond theory and eye test, is we did not take any measurable steps forward this year to reaching our goal. In comparison to last year the offense has been statistically worse, the defense is equal or lesser in most relevant categories and we likely will not improve in wins and losses.

I've already renewed my tix for next year so I'm in on HDCB but I'm out on the faith without evidence. Gonna have to show me the money moving forward. Success or failure for me will be measured in the W-L column without deviation.

You love to rail on these points - but the offense is statistically worse in the categories you deem worthy. It's also the case that there is a metric you consistently miss: recruiting. It's up. If you add Amba to last years class (you should), last year was a very good year. This year is better.

For a guy who claims to be about the stats, you seem awfully eager to replace them with the trailing indicator: W/L.

LSU people will keep them down , if they can .
LSU doesn't care about Tulane at all. LSU owns the state of LA. Tulane is a tiny private school. It is a great academic instution but they aren't going to ever be anything for LSU to worry about.
Does Texas keep Rice down?
Does Tennessee keep Vanderbilt down?
State flagships are always going to own their states when they are good as non alums grow up with state pride.

LSU doesn't care about Tulane at all. LSU owns the state of LA. Tulane is a tiny private school. It is a great academic instution but they aren't going to ever be anything for LSU to worry about.
Does Texas keep Rice down?
Does Tennessee keep Vanderbilt down?
State flagships are always going to own their states when they are good as non alums grow up with state pride.
TCU , Baylor , Sothern Cal , Stanford .

TCU , Baylor , Sothern Cal , Stanford .
TCU and Baylor aren't big players. They are having great success under their HCs or until Baylor had there HC.
USC is a huge private school but the state of CA is so large and kids don't grow up with one state school as CA is large. Stanford is a school that doesn't have a huge fanbase it is all alums. Stanford is lucky lots of their alums stay in the CA area.
Miami and Duke in the ACC don't run their states they rely on alums that is why their attendance isn't always high week in and out. UNC and Florida don't keep them down.

TCU and Baylor aren't big players. They are having great success under their HCs or until Baylor had there HC.
USC is a huge private school but the state of CA is so large and kids don't grow up with one state school as CA is large. Stanford is a school that doesn't have a huge fanbase it is all alums. Stanford is lucky lots of their alums stay in the CA area.
Miami and Duke in the ACC don't run their states they rely on alums that is why their attendance isn't always high week in and out. UNC and Florida don't keep them down.
Do you not see how private schools are dealt with more severely than the large state schools ? Who do you think directs those actions ? Please .

You love to rail on these points - but the offense is statistically worse in the categories you deem worthy. It's also the case that there is a metric you consistently miss: recruiting. It's up. If you add Amba to last years class (you should), last year was a very good year. This year is better.

For a guy who claims to be about the stats, you seem awfully eager to replace them with the trailing indicator: W/L.

We're averaging less points total despite increased pace and less points per possession than last year. Pretty crucial statistics that correlate to wins and losses. Those are facts and not argument. If we don't have a monster offensive game vs. Pittsburgh next week we will finish at or near the bottom of P5 programs offensively and worse than last year under Lester.

The inability for some to see this and the continuation of the premise that the offense is fine but for a missing QB is why I continue to remind of how bad we actually have been this year despite the window dressing of increased pace of play.

Do you not see how private schools are dealt with more severely than the large state schools ? Who do you think directs those actions ? Please .
Honestly your point here is a waste of my energy. Tulane is nothing to LSU.

Dude. No matter what you say, the Tampa 2 sucks. Alabama doesn't run it, Michigan doesn't run it, Ohio State doesn't run it, Clemson doesn't run it. And, last year, when NOT running it, we kept it fairly close against Clemson and LSU.

Tampa 2 sucks.

BTW, the best success we had yesterday, defensively, is when Ward starting dialing up some blitzes.

IF you think we kept it fairly close last year to Clemson and LSU your nuts. The lead in those games were never in doubt and they were toying with us.

And just because you say the Tampa 2 sucks over and over you have NOTHING to back it up!

I-A Winning Percentage 2002-2015

We are 99th of 119 teams listed. I took a look at the current standings:
NCAA FBS (Division I-A) Football Standings
and we currently have moved ahead of UTEP and Florida Atlantic but have been caught by Colorado so we at #118. There are five power conference teams below us: Vanderbilt, Kansas, Illinois, Duke and Indiana.
Yes, but Vanderbilt, Duke, Illinois, and Indiana have all been ranked at some point, and even in the top 10. I think I recall Illinois going to the Rose Bowl as well.

We're averaging less points total despite increased pace and less points per possession than last year. Pretty crucial statistics that correlate to wins and losses. Those are facts and not argument. If we don't have a monster offensive game vs. Pittsburgh next week we will finish at or near the bottom of P5 programs offensively and worse than last year under Lester.

The inability for some to see this and the continuation of the premise that the offense is fine but for a missing QB is why I continue to remind of how bad we actually have been this year despite the window dressing of increased pace of play.
I think that can easily be explained by the fact that we are playing square pegs in round holes. We seemed to move the ball well between the 20's, but when the field shrinks in the red zone, our playbook was severely limited. We had no running threat. They knew we were going to pass, or even run Dungey. When Dino gets the playmakers that Dino wants, he'll have a lot more options from his playbook. I think the play calling in the redzone was pretty vanilla for a reason. Dino doesn't have the players to run what he really wants to run in the red zone. I don't think the lack of scoring vs. yards gained is alarming. It actually makes sense, and I expect it will be corrected with recruiting the proper players, more work on the offense, and patience from us. The offense, is still a work in progress, just as it was after 11 games at Eastern Illinois, and just as it was after 11 games at BG.

I have no issue giving Dino time but I live in NC with season tickets and I am really starting to question why I keep renewing.

Geeez, fly man. love your dedication , but air will make the losses more tolerable . want to see you in for the long haul, Dino's gonna get this right ;)

So, what's this thread originally all about? we have all been burnt out for 10+ years. this year was premised on ED's health. Our worst nightmare happened . That said, I AM NOT BURNT OUT. We get 6 home games every 12 months fellas. It's a great game and there is always hope pregame . No time to be " burnt out "

So, what's this thread originally all about? we have all been burnt out for 10+ years. this year was premised on ED's health. Our worst nightmare happened . That said, I AM NOT BURNT OUT. We get 6 home games every 12 months fellas. It's a great game and there is always hope pregame . No time to be " burnt out "

3 years in a row now, our 'worst nightmare' has happened at the QB position. That is some $hi+ luck.

I believe Dino will recruit and will get the program turned around.
I can't prove that based on BGSU. He put together a big season relying on Clawson's skill position recruits. His recruits to BGSU are contributing to 3 wins this season.

I can't prove it based on the overall body of work on the field at SU, with what he inherited, plus Etta-Tawo.

My belief is based on the direction of recruiting, as Dino builds on Shafer's good 2015 class, with two of his own. It should come together, when he has more than one QB, a strong RB, an OL that can run-block, and better front line players in every unit. We have depth in the roster for next year -- need more top line talent to go with the depth. Not there yet.

7 games at home next year

3 years in a row now, our 'worst nightmare' has happened at the QB position. That is some $hi+ luck.

More than bad luck. QBs get injured -- just look around to other programs.

It was obvious entering 2014 that the QB cupboard was bare behind Hunt. Pretty much the same entering 2015. And obvious the cupboard was bare entering 2016 behind Dungey. Other coaches would have seen the glaring need for JUCO help at QB.

It was bad recruiting at the QB position, and taking a huge risk on standing pat.