Improving on perfection | Syracusefan.com

Improving on perfection

SWC75

Bored Historian
People are starting to make posts evaluating where our undefeated team is right now and whether we are as good as we can be. It's an important subject because college teams tend to improve as the season goes along- or they will fall behind the teams who are improving. I decided to put in my two cents.

CENTER

Coleman is gone so it's all about Christmas and Keita. I love those hook shots Rak was throwing in against Pittsburgh but he missed vs. Miami. It's a new move he's unveiled so he's not consistent on it yet but I hope to see more of it. He's also getting better as collecting passes and getting the ball into the basket. This gives us an embryonic inside game. I hope we don't have to wait 9 months for it to become a regular part of our offense. I don't think we will.

With Keita the key is rebounding. He scores on put-backs and that's it. if he doesn't go get the ball, he doesn't score. I don't see us breaking Chinonso Obokoh's redshirt unless there are injuries or suspensions. But you know that games are coming where both Christmas and Keita will be in foul trouble. And then we'll be in trouble.

FORWARD

Jerami Grant is now in the starting line-up and he's becoming a major force. Looking back to last year when he looked so promising when Southerland was out and then faded into the woodwork when James returned, I think Jerami is the type of guy who just needs to hear his name announced at the beginning of games. His length and quickness in the paint has become impossible for college teams to deal with. I love his spin move and am glad to see him hit the medium range jumper from time to time to keep the defense honest.

But I still think CJ Fair has the skills we need in the high post when we face a zone. When we first noticed him, that's where he played- people compared him to Josh Pace. He's our best option from medium range and could kill teams from there. He's a skilled player but he's not having a great senior year. He gets his numbers but misses more shots and makes more turnovers than we are used to. Many posters have pointed out that he gets the ball too far from from the basket. He can make a three pointer but we don't want him settling for it. He's got an extra gear and we will need to see it down the stretch.

I'll be surprised to see a big contribution from Tyler Roberson. He doesn't seem ready yet. But I think JB played him yesterday to leave open the possibility that he could be a contributor down the stretch. I really don't expect to see any more of BJ Johnson except in blow outs, (do we still have them?) He probably should have red-shirted.

GUARDS

Tyler Ennis is everything you'd want on a point guard. The only possible criticism is that he seems reluctant to push the ball, unless it's one of those end of the game emergencies. He seems more comfortable in the half court game. But he's a master at that, so I don't expect any changes.

Trevor Cooney can "go off" at any time as a long distance shooter. Or he can go 2 for 12. I think he's better when he makes it only part of his game. A two pointer that gores in counts for more than a three pointer that doesn't. Having Cooney on the perimeter sets up other players but ti could set up Cooney, too. Don't be afraid to go around somebody for a pull-up jumper or even go all the way to the basket. Don't just settle for the shots they give you.

The key to a good post seasons run is the "X factor" player- the guy who has not been a contributor, or at least not a consistent one, who suddenly becomes one. I still think Michael Gbinije has the skills to be that kind of a player, especially when they play off of him , assuming that he's not going to score. Being a jack of all trades doesn't mean you have to be a master of none.

I think Ron Patterson is going to be an exciting and frustrating player his entire career. He can get hot and make great plays or be awful. A box of chocolates. I don't know if he'll ever be a reliable player and that will make it difficult to put him in the starting line-up. it will also make it difficult for him to be a factor this year. I'm not sure I want him out there with the game on the line. He could be this team's Tony Scott.

Overall, I wish we could find ways to speed up games to take better advantage of our talent and speed. But JB seems to be willing to play 60-50 games as long as we are the "60" team. Other than that and putting Fair at the top the key against a zone rather than Grant, I have no strategical complaints. I don't expect any changes, either. That will have to come from the players. I would like to see more consistency of effort. 26-8, 20-39, 18-5 is kind of nerve-racking and the assumption that we'll always pull it out at the end is just that- an assumpion.

So the shopping list for me is:

- The continuing development of Christmas' offensive game.
- Grab the ball, Keita!
- I'm hoping the development of grant will take some of the defensive pressure off of Fair and make his job a bit easier.
- I want to see Cooney use all of his offensive abilities not just the one.
- I want to see the Michael Gbinije I saw in those highlight films.
- If we get a chance to put a team away early, do it.

As good as we have have been, if we don't get better, we'll get worse because everybody else will get better.

A couple of quick reactions:
  • Rak's jump hook is turning into a bonafide pet move for him. Yes, he missed one yesterday, but he also hit one. After the team actually fed the post for once. Rak continues to develop into a guy who is finishing the field goal attempts that he should, which means that he went from being zero offensive threat to one who is at least capable and more comfortable out there. He's never going to be a big scorer, but he has to at least be a scoring threat. Which he is starting to be. I would wager that not having to look over his shoulder all the time has helped him get a little more comfortable out there.
  • Jerami is not playing better because he's "the type of guy who just needs to hear his name announced at the beginning of games," he's playing better because he's a stronger and a little bit heavier than he was last year. And he still could stand to add 15 more pounds of "good" weight.
  • It is absurd to suggest that CJ is not having a strong senior campaign. Everything's relative. We've been a balanced team for several years. In previous years, our top scorers were averaging ~14 ppg, with anyone capable of going off any given night. He's averaging nearly 17 ppg [as a basis of comparison]. CJ has been rock solid most of the year, with the exception of a lone game or two. Yes, he is turning the ball over more than we are acclimated to. But he is the main cog of a 19-0 team that relies upon his steady production. JB talked last week about how important CJ was to our success.
  • BJ was never going to redshirt. Obokoh redshirted already. We rarely redshirt to begin with; redshirting two players the same year without injury necessitating the move just wasn't going to happen.
  • I've yet to see Ron Patterson play "awful." I think the opinion you express is leftover from how poorly he volume shot in Canada. He hasn't played enough to get much of an accurate read on his play / stats.

Last edited:
CJ's scoring average looks better when you consider the pace of our play. When you have a lot of 60 point games, averaging 17 points is good.

I don't see that Patterson, Roberson, or even Gbinije will have a lot to do with our success this season. We have a short rotation -- we are going to ride it. Cooney isn't going to magically add new dimensions to his game this season -- his BC game was an exception. But if he improves his shot selection (as he did yesterday), hits 3 threes and some FTs that will be fine.

CJ instead of Grant at the free throw line -- not going to happen. Grant is a big threat from there and CJ is needed as a supplemental ball handler. It is the make-up of the team, considering that Cooney isn't going to make any dribble moves.

good write-up. We will be in fine shape if Roberson can productively replace DaJuan's minutes.
If we have an achilles heal it's at point guard, if Tyler can't play due to fouls or injury.

A ton of quality points made here. In regard to rak the big thing I like is he can use both hands around the rim. Also in regards to rak I think we still tend to forget about him. He is very adept as a passer to shooters spotting up and I think we should feed him more often.

In the half court we have so many options yet we are still learning to go through all the reads and tend to still force it on occasion which in turn leads to dry spells.

My final complaint of which all are small is that trevor needs more time to rest. He hit a big 3 but was noticeably slower running off the ball late and with mike g's defensive prowess I think we can afford it. I am not saying 10 minutes but an additional blow in the 2nd half would benefit trevor.

C.J. is averaging 1.17 points per shot (by far the lowest of his career) and in exactly half as many minutes has taken only 11 fewer threes -- by anyone's estimation, a very low-percentage shot -- than he did last year.

Yes, he's asked to do more. And his play has suffered as a result. He's having a fine senior year. Not great. OK. He does a number of things well and a couple other things not very well. It's fair to point out the ways in which his game hasn't improved, especially considering his status as pre-season All America and ACC player of the year.

One thing with CJ of late I notice is he is getting blocked at the rim a bit more. He needs to get into defenders with his body down there as this is surely something nba scouts will take note of. That and he needs to be able to knock down that open jumper at a higher rate considering those come much less frequently now that he is a focal point. Its a small thing but to be an elite player a miss on those has to be rare and it seems it happens on about half his open looks. Nitpicky things but important for him regarding draft status and for us against top competition.

C.J. is averaging 1.17 points per shot (by far the lowest of his career) and in exactly half as many minutes has taken only 11 fewer threes -- by anyone's estimation, a very low-percentage shot -- than he did last year.

Yes, he's asked to do more. And his play has suffered as a result. He's having a fine senior year. Not great. OK. He does a number of things well and a couple other things not very well. It's fair to point out the ways in which his game hasn't improved, especially considering his status as pre-season All America and ACC player of the year.
CJ shot 46% from 3 last year, that's not a low-percent shot in my estimation. His taking more 3's is by design. It would be expected that his point per shot would drop as he takes over the lead scorer role. Just as next year we would expect Grant's pps to drop. It's the nature of the role.

I don't think his play has suffered. I think his adapting to the new lead dog role is a key reason SU is doing so well. CJ has repeatedly hit shots in big situations. If CJ and SU continue what they have been doing, I think CJ will receive a lot of awards, and deservedly so.

A ton of quality points made here. In regard to rak the big thing I like is he can use both hands around the rim. Also in regards to rak I think we still tend to forget about him. He is very adept as a passer to shooters spotting up and I think we should feed him more often.

In the half court we have so many options yet we are still learning to go through all the reads and tend to still force it on occasion which in turn leads to dry spells.

My final complaint of which all are small is that trevor needs more time to rest. He hit a big 3 but was noticeably slower running off the ball late and with mike g's defensive prowess I think we can afford it. I am not saying 10 minutes but an additional blow in the 2nd half would benefit trevor.
good point. tervor needs his legs and with as much running around as he does to get open, silent G's minutes are important

CJ shot 46% from 3 last year, that's not a low-percent shot in my estimation. His taking more 3's is by design. It would be expected that his point per shot would drop as he takes over the lead scorer role. Just as next year we would expect Grant's pps to drop. It's the nature of the role.

I don't think his play has suffered. I think his adapting to the new lead dog role is a key reason SU is doing so well. CJ has repeatedly hit shots in big situations. If CJ and SU continue what they have been doing, I think CJ will receive a lot of awards, and deservedly so.

27% from three this season. That's means a lot more than what he shot in a previous year. And that's poor.

27% from three this season. That's means a lot more than what he shot in a previous year. And that's poor.
He is at 28.3%.
Last year in more attempts, as you point out, he was over 46%.

Small sample sizes, he has a good stroke. If he goes 3 for 3 against Wake he will be at 44% in-conference.

He is at 28.3%.
Last year in more attempts, as you point out, he was over 46%.

Small sample sizes, he has a good stroke. If he goes 3 for 3 against Wake he will be at 44% in-conference.

He has a good stroke. I don't think his shot selection is anything to write home about this year; consequently, he's not making a good percentage. Not really a small sample size - his 53 attempts (converted at a .283 rate) represent over 36% of his career attempts.

People are starting to make posts evaluating where our undefeated team is right now and whether we are as good as we can be. It's an important subject because college teams tend to improve as the season goes along- or they will fall behind the teams who are improving. I decided to put in my two cents.

CENTER

Coleman is gone so it's all about Christmas and Keita. I love those hook shots Rak was throwing in against Pittsburgh but he missed vs. Miami. It's a new move he's unveiled so he's not consistent on it yet but I hope to see more of it. He's also getting better as collecting passes and getting the ball into the basket. This gives us an embryonic inside game. I hope we don't have to wait 9 months for it to become a regular part of our offense. I don't think we will.

With Keita the key is rebounding. He scores on put-backs and that's it. if he doesn't go get the ball, he doesn't score. I don't see us breaking Chinonso Obokoh's redshirt unless there are injuries or suspensions. But you know that games are coming where both Christmas and Keita will be in foul trouble. And then we'll be in trouble.

FORWARD

Jerami Grant is now in the starting line-up and he's becoming a major force. Looking back to last year when he looked so promising when Southerland was out and then faded into the woodwork when James returned, I think Jerami is the type of guy who just needs to hear his name announced at the beginning of games. His length and quickness in the paint has become impossible for college teams to deal with. I love his spin move and am glad to see him hit the medium range jumper from time to time to keep the defense honest.

But I still think CJ Fair has the skills we need in the high post when we face a zone. When we first noticed him, that's where he played- people compared him to Josh Pace. He's our best option from medium range and could kill teams from there. He's a skilled player but he's not having a great senior year. He gets his numbers but misses more shots and makes more turnovers than we are used to. Many posters have pointed out that he gets the ball too far from from the basket. He can make a three pointer but we don't want him settling for it. He's got an extra gear and we will need to see it down the stretch.

I'll be surprised to see a big contribution from Tyler Roberson. He doesn't seem ready yet. But I think JB played him yesterday to leave open the possibility that he could be a contributor down the stretch. I really don't expect to see any more of BJ Johnson except in blow outs, (do we still have them?) He probably should have red-shirted.

GUARDS

Tyler Ennis is everything you'd want on a point guard. The only possible criticism is that he seems reluctant to push the ball, unless it's one of those end of the game emergencies. He seems more comfortable in the half court game. But he's a master at that, so I don't expect any changes.

Trevor Cooney can "go off" at any time as a long distance shooter. Or he can go 2 for 12. I think he's better when he makes it only part of his game. A two pointer that gores in counts for more than a three pointer that doesn't. Having Cooney on the perimeter sets up other players but ti could set up Cooney, too. Don't be afraid to go around somebody for a pull-up jumper or even go all the way to the basket. Don't just settle for the shots they give you.

The key to a good post seasons run is the "X factor" player- the guy who has not been a contributor, or at least not a consistent one, who suddenly becomes one. I still think Michael Gbinije has the skills to be that kind of a player, especially when they play off of him , assuming that he's not going to score. Being a jack of all trades doesn't mean you have to be a master of none.

I think Ron Patterson is going to be an exciting and frustrating player his entire career. He can get hot and make great plays or be awful. A box of chocolates. I don't know if he'll ever be a reliable player and that will make it difficult to put him in the starting line-up. it will also make it difficult for him to be a factor this year. I'm not sure I want him out there with the game on the line. He could be this team's Tony Scott.

Overall, I wish we could find ways to speed up games to take better advantage of our talent and speed. But JB seems to be willing to play 60-50 games as long as we are the "60" team. Other than that and putting Fair at the top the key against a zone rather than Grant, I have no strategical complaints. I don't expect any changes, either. That will have to come from the players. I would like to see more consistency of effort. 26-8, 20-39, 18-5 is kind of nerve-racking and the assumption that we'll always pull it out at the end is just that- an assumpion.

So the shopping list for me is:

- The continuing development of Christmas' offensive game.
- Grab the ball, Keita!
- I'm hoping the development of grant will take some of the defensive pressure off of Fair and make his job a bit easier.
- I want to see Cooney use all of his offensive abilities not just the one.
- I want to see the Michael Gbinije I saw in those highlight films.
- If we get a chance to put a team away early, do it.

As good as we have have been, if we don't get better, we'll get worse because everybody else will get better.
What in the Wide World of Sports makes you think RP is capable of "getting hot".

CJ Fair as a freshman:
18.6m 13.7p 8.2r 0.9a 1.7s 1.7b 26.2+ 4.6mfg 1.7mft 1.8to 2.6pf 10.7- = 15.5NP 7.4OE 8.1FG

CJ Fair as a sophomore:
26.4m 12.9p 8.1r 1.4a 1.6s 0.7b = 24.7+ 5.4mfg 1.1mft 1.2to 2.2pf = 9.9- = 14.8NP 6.4OE 8.4FG

CJ Fair as a junior:
34.8m 16.8p 8.0r 0.8a 1.3s 1.2b = 28.1+ 7.1mfg 1.1mft 1.8to 1.8pf = 11.8- = 16.3NP 8.6OE 7.7FG

CJ Fair so far as a senior:
36.6m 18.3p 6.4r 1.7a 1.6s 0.7b = 28.7+ 8.6mfg 1.3mft 3.3to 2.1pf = 15.3 = 13.4NP 8.4OE 5.0FG

From this I conclude that CJ Fair is scoring more but missing more shots to do it. He's rebounding less and turning the ball over more. He's attempted 53 three pointers in 19 games after attempting 64 in 40 last year and his shooting percentage on them has declined from 47% to 28%. That suggests to me that he's not where he really belongs on the court. Overall, his offensive efficiency (points minus missed field goals and free throws) is slightly less and his floor game, (rebounds, assists, steals and blocks minus turnovers and fouls) is considerably down. He's not as effective a player as he was in his first three years.

CJ Fair as a freshman:
18.6m 13.7p 8.2r 0.9a 1.7s 1.7b 26.2+ 4.6mfg 1.7mft 1.8to 2.6pf 10.7- = 15.5NP 7.4OE 8.1FG

CJ Fair as a sophomore:
26.4m 12.9p 8.1r 1.4a 1.6s 0.7b = 24.7+ 5.4mfg 1.1mft 1.2to 2.2pf = 9.9- = 14.8NP 6.4OE 8.4FG

CJ Fair as a junior:
34.8m 16.8p 8.0r 0.8a 1.3s 1.2b = 28.1+ 7.1mfg 1.1mft 1.8to 1.8pf = 11.8- = 16.3NP 8.6OE 7.7FG

CJ Fair so far as a senior:
36.6m 18.3p 6.4r 1.7a 1.6s 0.7b = 28.7+ 8.6mfg 1.3mft 3.3to 2.1pf = 15.3 = 13.4NP 8.4OE 5.0FG

From this I conclude that CJ Fair is scoring more but missing more shots to do it. He's rebounding less and turning the ball over more. He's attempted 53 three pointers in 19 games after attempting 64 in 40 last year and his shooting percentage on them has declined from 47% to 28%. That suggests to me that he's not where he really belongs on the court. Overall, his offensive efficiency (points minus missed field goals and free throws) is slightly less and his floor game, (rebounds, assists, steals and blocks minus turnovers and fouls) is considerably down. He's not as effective a player as he was in his first three years.

Here is an alternate take from someone you might know who doesn't agree with your conclusion about how effective CJ's play has been this year:

"Fair is so quiet in his consistency that even Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim admits he sometimes takes him for granted. "CJ is by far our best player," says Boeheim. "He has been our best player for two years. Some people think Jerami Grant is our best player because he gets highlight dunks. Some people think Tyler Ennis is because he makes great plays. But the reason we're in a position for those guys to do that is because C.J. Fair is there for us. Sometimes we forget -- sometimes even I forget -- C.J. Fair is why we won the game. He's the reason the win, and sometimes even I don't see that."

"He's one of the best leaders we've ever had, and he doesn't say a word," says Boeheim. "I think players appreciate a guy who does what he's supposed to every day. And he makes plays for them."

I think I'm comfortable siding with James Arthur Boeheim on this topic.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ott-marcus-smart-jabari-parker-julius-randle/

What in the Wide World of Sports makes you think RP is capable of "getting hot".
I've yet to see Ron Patterson play "awful." I think the opinion you express is leftover from how poorly he volume shot in Canada. He hasn't played enough to get much of an accurate read on his play / stats.

JB said on his shot that he doesn't play Patterson more because sometimes he can't miss but sometimes he can't hit the rim.

Here is an alternate take from someone who doesn't agree with your conclusion about how effective CJ is this year:

"Fair is so quiet in his consistency that even Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim admits he sometimes takes him for granted. "CJ is by far our best player," says Boeheim. "He has been our best player for two years. Some people think Jerami Grant is our best player because he gets highlight dunks. Some people think Tyler Ennis is because he makes great plays. But the reason we're in a position for those guys to do that is because C.J. Fair is there for us. Sometimes we forget -- sometimes even I forget -- C.J. Fair is why we won the game. He's the reason the win, and sometimes even I don't see that."

"He's one of the best leaders we've ever had, and he doesn't say a word," says Boeheim. "I think players appreciate a guy who does what he's supposed to every day. And he makes plays for them."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...rt-jabari-parker-julius-randle/#ixzz2rYYP4XVS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ott-marcus-smart-jabari-parker-julius-randle/

That doesn't really contradict what I said. Fair is a fine player, a leader and his presence and the defensive attention he gets makes other plays possible. That was true in prior years as well, when he played better than he has this year. I am hoping that he can return to the level of play we've sen in those years. It could give us the extra push we need for a great post season run. I think playing him on a different spot on the court against zones is one thing that could help.

Last edited:
We need CJ to play better. Fewer turnovers and better shot selection. Everyone likes to do this OOC vs ACC thing, well CJ shot 50+ in 8 of out 13 OOC games but hasn't yet in the ACC nor the 2 games prior. So I think it was 8 of 11 then 0 for 8.

That doesn't really contract what I said. Fair is a fine player, a leader and his presence and the defensive attention he gets makes other plays possible. That was true in prior years as well, when he played better than he has this year. I am hoping that he can return to the level of play we've sen in those years. It could give us the extra push we need for a great post season run. I think playing him on a different spot on the court against zones is one thing that could help.

It absolutely contradicts what you said in your OP: "He's a skilled player but he's not having a great senior year. "

Sure doesn't seem like JB agrees with your assessment. Which largely seems to ignore the added defense focus that comes along with being the focal point of an offense. Nobody is suggesting that CJ is a transcendent talent. I'm also not claiming that it wouldn't be better for the team if he shot better from 3, started taking better care of the ball, etc. He's gone down in some statistical categories this season [up in others], but do you know what Scott Shafer would say about formulating an opinion of player performance solely on the basis of stats?

JB's comments speak volumes. This is a very, very good team. They are capable of making a deep run. And Boeheim feels that not only is CJ the best player on the team, but that his play is one of the main reasons we've been able to accomplish 19-0. Good enough for me.

Last edited:
Cj's senior year right now is on par with Kris Joseph's 2 years ago. very solid, but you just expect a little more. If he's a little more efficient, we are a much better team.

A couple of quick reactions:
  • Rak's jump hook is turning into a bonafide pet move for him. Yes, he missed one yesterday, but he also hit one. After the team actually fed the post for once. Rak continues to develop into a guy who is finishing the field goal attempts that he should, which means that he went from being zero offensive threat to one who is at least capable and more comfortable out there. He's never going to be a big scorer, but he has to at least be a scoring threat. Which he is starting to be. I would wager that not having to look over his shoulder all the time has helped him get a little more comfortable out there.
  • Jerami is not playing better because he's "the type of guy who just needs to hear his name announced at the beginning of games," he's playing better because he's a stronger and a little bit heavier than he was last year. And he still could stand to add 15 more pounds of "good" weight.
  • It is absurd to suggest that CJ is not having a strong senior campaign. Everything's relative. We've been a balanced team for several years. In previous years, our top scorers were averaging ~14 ppg, with anyone capable of going off any given night. He's averaging nearly 17 ppg [as a basis of comparison]. CJ has been rock solid most of the year, with the exception of a lone game or two. Yes, he is turning the ball over more than we are acclimated to. But he is the main cog of a 19-0 team that relies upon his steady production. JB talked last week about how important CJ was to our success.
  • BJ was never going to redshirt. Obokoh redshirted already. We rarely redshirt to begin with; redshirting two players the same year without injury necessitating the move just wasn't going to happen.
  • I've yet to see Ron Patterson play "awful." I think the opinion you express is leftover from how poorly he volume shot in Canada. He hasn't played enough to get much of an accurate read on his play / stats.

I think that by trying to do more this year, C.J.'s game has taken a step back. He's our most important player, but he's had a ton of turnovers this year, he's shooting much worse from 3 and he's not rebounding as well. He needs to get back to where he was last season. I think as the other guys continue to improve, C.J. can pick his spots a bit and not have to carry the offense as much. He's been clutch this year, but he hasn't been as consistent.

Cj's senior year right now is on par with Kris Joseph's 2 years ago. very solid, but you just expect a little more. If he's a little more efficient, we are a much better team.

I'm not sure that their respective performances are on par, like you say. The top set of stats are Kris's from senior year. The bottom set are from CJ's [i.e., this year].

CJ is having a better statistical year almost across the board than Kris, producing more, etc. in a year where he is required to shoulder more of a load than Kris did his senior year [its this latter point that is the primary reason I disagree with your point about their seasons being on par]. The two lone statistics where he isn't is 3P% and FT% [74.5% to 72.6%--which is pretty close]. CJ is essentially a similar but better version of KJ in just about every facet of the game.

SeasonSchoolConfGMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS

2011-12SyracuseBig East3732.24.410.5.4213.16.5.4671.44.0.3453.24.2.7454.71.51.40.61.51.713.4

SeasonSchoolConfGMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS

2013-14SyracuseACC1936.66.414.2.4485.611.4.4880.82.8.2833.24.4.7265.81.51.50.72.71.916.7

Edit: those are tough to read--here are the links--

Kris

CJ

Last edited:
I don't feel its as much that CJ has a new role, as it is he has a new position.

CJ has had more turnovers this year then in the past. And that will continue because,
1.he is further out when he receives the ball. A spot where his jumper is 50/50(less on a bad night) instead of the 65/35 he is from 14 feet out.
2.he keeps his dribble higher (which you have to do on the perimeter to pullup), and
3. he tries to take his man straight to the rim rather then east west. Close up he knew he already has made the jumper 75% of the time. In the mid post he would take you east west. You couldn't guard him in the midpost as he had his jumper at such a high confidence rate it would even bounce in 50% of the time it missed.
4.Even when he is being doubled this year you rarely see a open man for him to pass to for a quick shot. Thats something that makes the best scorers in college and the nba even better.

But, thats the way this team has been built this year so far. It doesn't play into his greatest strength, receiving the ball 14 feet out. Especially with Grant in the high post. We have to except that unless it changes, or we start running plays that leave us at a handicap at times to get Cj in his sweetspot. And with Grants abiliity to get to the rim and draw fouls its a tough call to go that route.

Imo (for now), He has a more quiet 17 then the loud 14 he used to this year Thats becuase
1.His jumper is further out, and more of a 50/50 then the 75% feeling you had from his 10 footer in the past that opened up his dribble. And..
2. he is attacking the rim off 3-4 hesitation dribbles instead of the 11/2 low, quick, halfcourt transition, intimidating, swag, and explosive scoring touch he used to.

You can clearly see the lack of comfortability in his mood 1/3 of the time. By all accounts a great year by the numbers. But, its more of a quiet iq year for him a third of the time, then it is the thunderous I am putting pressure on my opponents and intimdating them every night that we saw last year. His isolation game has really slowed down.

Last edited:
I think that by trying to do more this year, C.J.'s game has taken a step back. He's our most important player, but he's had a ton of turnovers this year, he's shooting much worse from 3 and he's not rebounding as well. He needs to get back to where he was last season. I think as the other guys continue to improve, C.J. can pick his spots a bit and not have to carry the offense as much. He's been clutch this year, but he hasn't been as consistent.

His efficiency has gone down as his usage rate has gone up--no question. And the turnovers have gone up, which is disappointing. But I don't agree that his game has taken a "step back." Here's why.

What made CJ highly effective in previous seasons as a complimentary offensive player was his smart shot selection, tremendous judgement when it came to picking his spots, and an almost preternatural ability to avoid mistakes / bad plays. Well, he can't be as selective this year because he's the focal point. He can't be the complimentary scorer who doesn't have any plays run for him--he's the guy that the offense runs through. He's not the fourth of fifth scoring option who cleans up and makes high IQ plays, he's arguably the top player on the team. He's showing more offensive versatility than at any point of his career, but along with the good comes some of the bad.

I would love to see him cut down on the turnovers. Would also like to see him start to connect more from three, although he certainly has hit some big ones this year at key times.

But he's been pretty damn good, especially when the game is tight. We're lucky to have a versatile scorer like him this year--he's not only been a big part of why we've been successful, but I'm actually a bit afraid of what might happen next year without some of his offensive capabilities.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom