In the Run Up to Early-Signing Day... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

In the Run Up to Early-Signing Day...

(Second-hand, again, although it does link to the NCAA manual)

Edit: the link there is for an old version of the manual. From the 2019-2020 version:

15.02.3.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] An “initial counter” is a counter who is receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. (See Bylaw 15.5.6.3 in football for instances in which the institution is permitted to defer the counting of such financial aid until the following academic year.)

It seems like this means "for the first time from the institution in question" but it is not clear. The rules are stated in terms that don't mention "transfer" so presumably there is another section that defines what "transfer" maps to in their lingo. But I'm not going to sift for it right now.
I'm in the weeds in the manual and all I'm getting is a headache.

From that it looks like HS kids, JUCOS, transfers and G-T's are considered IC's governed by the 25 limit. The change seems to be which academic year they count against if they don't come in the fall ... now IC's count against the fall limit (not the year before) even if they come in January (if I'm reading that right). I don't have time to review the actual manual r/n.
That's dated as there is no longer back dating. It's a 25 limit per class per year if they show up in January, June or August.

This article is a little dated also since the rules were changed after it was printed and there is no more holding scholarships from previous years but it explains who is and isn't an initial counter. So a Grad transfer, while they would count towards the 85, wouldn't count as an initial counter the 25. At least per the article.

The first rule: An FBS team can have 85 scholarship players at a time.
Unlike most other college sports, football at the top level is a head-count sport. That means those 85 scholarships are full rides for 85 individuals. There’s no dividing the value of scholarships among teammates.
The second rule: An FBS team can bring in 25 new scholarship players in one signing class.
The limit is on 25 “initial counters,” which you can think of as players in their first year on an athletic scholarship.

Last edited:

Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).

Whatever happened to Nazir Burnett? Didn't he hit the portal? Anything cooking there?

I'm just throwing this together. Please revise/refine..

Finishing out this class:

Have:
2 S - Hanna, LaBrosse
1 CB - Atkinson
2 LB - Barron, Thompson
2 DE - Kinsler, Lowery
1 DE/DT - Lemeiux

1 OG - Ilaoa
1 OT - Barclay
1 TE - Mahar
2 RB - Wax, Tucker
1 SL - Pena
1 WR - Alford

Want/Need (prospects, preference):
1 QB - Fortin, Spann
2 OL - Bleich, Reed, Pogorelc, Willock, Snively, Rewolinski
1 DT - Mesidor, Ndukwe
1 WR - Poitier, Jones
1 SL - Williams, Saunders
1 CB - ?
1 LB - ?

A couple of additional thoughts:

Lemieux at DT seems speculative based on development, I could see him sticking more as an SDE (5 tech).
The other two DE's (Lowery and Kinsler) seem like straight up rush ends (9 tech) and I can see a case (although unlikely) for Kinsler converting to OLB.
That seems to make the case for 2 true DTs this class.

As many have pointed out, Wax could be brought in as an LB, but I see that as unlikely. More likely is Tucker as a slot guy, but I don't think we'd have so many late looks at guys suited to the slot if that was the case.

I'd like to see a true center this class as I think we've eaten up way to many roster spots chasing good tackles. I think we've had relative success sliding guys inside to guard and assuming we land two more guys this class that are suited to play tackle I think we'll be pretty solid from a depth perspective at both T and G.

Yes, he hit the portal. Only issue seems to have been that he wants to be closer to home:

Former Bishop McDevitt star Nazir Burnett leaving Georgia Tech

Which raises the question, and I know that several here have the answer, what is the rule about an ACC player transferring to another ACC school?

However, with the new transfer legislation, there is no longer a requirement for written permission to contact. Instead, student-athletes notify their coach and institution of their intent to transfer. Once the notice is given, they are free to be contacted by other universities about their interest in transferring to continue their athletic and academic career. Schools can no longer decide where a student-athlete cannot transfer by blocking permission to contact and thereby blocking the receipt of financial aid.

Student-athletes being able to give notice and no longer being required to get permission to contact give student-athletes more freedom to transfer between institutions. It is the first step, in what is expected to be many steps, in loosening the transfer rules to allow more freedom of movement for student-athletes. However, with this change, there are still important unanswered questions the NCAA, institutions, and compliance professionals need to resolve.

Starting today, a student-athlete only needs to provide their university and coach their written “intent” to transfer. After this occurs, the university must enter the student-athlete’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. At this point, the student-athlete may contact and be contacted by whomever. However, inter-conference transferring rules do still apply. So things like sitting out a season of play when transferring within the same conference are still in effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom