Incoming Portal Participants.. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Incoming Portal Participants..

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me when we ever had as good an offensive center - as a freshman. Freshman numbers.

You have Derrick Coleman, but he was a forward to start with. Is there anybody who ever had 9 & 4 at center as a freshman at Syracuse?

He was a forward too. Lydon was the predominant center on his team. TT split time with Roberson.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me when we ever had as good an offensive center - as a freshman. Freshman numbers.

You have Derrick Coleman, but he was a forward to start with. Is there anybody who ever had 9 & 4 at center as a freshman at Syracuse?
Lydon.

If TT counts as a center, so does Lydon.

IMO, they were both PFs who got pressed into duty at C often.

TT could shoot the mid range jumper and had decent footwork. That’s literally it. Weird player. Would NOT pass. Or play defense.

How about THIS GUY?

11 & 8 is pretty good, no?
For a Frosh C.

Could be Rosie Bouie. Gotta check.

Last edited:
So we go back 45 years, and we find maybe two guys. That's my point, exactly.

Yeah, but - those 2 guys weren’t complete and utter turnstiles in the middle of our D.

I’d call TT a matador, but even they eventually stop the bulls from charging.

In his defense (since he played none), he was a talented scorer for a Big.
But that was also because he’d jack up a shot whenever he got the ball.

Here are his stats. He shot 57% inside the arc, and he averaged 9.2 points in less than half a game.

As far as being a matador or a turnstile on defense, he blocked a shot a game and had 0.7 steals in 18 minutes a game.

If you project his numbers to 30 minutes, say by his junior year, that would be 15.5 PPG, 6.4 Reb, 1.68 Blocks and 1.2 Steals a game.

I would KILL for a center who could do that. Those are almost Rony Seikaly level stats.

Tauren Thompson - Syracuse.png

Last edited:
That isn't true. Red Shirts did not have that held against them. Had Marek come back, he would have played 5 years of college ball. So far, Jimmy has played 3.
Junior also could have played 5--if the Ivys had competed this year. They didn't, so he lost the opportunity to play 5.

If Dolezaj had opted out of this year, he would have been entitled to only one more year.

Junior also could have played 5--if the Ivys had competed this year. They didn't, so he lost the opportunity to play 5.

If Dolezaj had opted out of this year, he would have been entitled to only one more year.
we will see.

TT was absolutely awful and a horrible teammate. I can’t believe anyone would defend him. Awful, disinterested and a total plus when he left.

Cuse
Not saying Taurean wasn’t a disinterested defensive player. But it’s weird then that JB flew down to NYC to find out what was going on (since he wasn’t returning any calls) and to try and convince him to come back. He was expected to be a key contributor that season. This was all documented in the press.

You guys don’t understand the additional year granted...

Swider is 35th on this list. Kadary is 7th. Powell is 13th. Some intriguing names.

Swider is 35th on this list. Kadary is 7th. Powell is 13th. Some intriguing names.

Uncommitted HS kids were on this list too, so really among college guys Swider is closer to top 25.

Here are his stats. He shot 57% inside the arc, and he averaged 9.2 points in less than half a game.

As far as being a matador or a turnstile on defense, he blocked a shot a game had 0.7 steals in 18 minutes a game.

If you project his numbers to 30 minutes, say by his junior year, that would be 15.5 PPG, 6.4 Reb, 1.68 Blocks and 1.2 Steals a game.

I would KILL for a center who could do that. Those are almost Rony Seikaly level stats.

View attachment 199184
I have only been watching Syracuse basketball since 1973, but in that time, Thompson has clearly been the worst defender who has gotten significant playing time. He repeatedly let players dribble right past him in the lane for uncontested dunks. Some of his gaffes were astonishing to see happen in high level college basketball games.

No question he had some skills shooting and scoring but he was an historically bad defender and it is no surprise that he has done nothing since he left Syracuse.

I have only been watching Syracuse basketball since 1973, but in that time, Thompson has clearly been the worst defender who has gotten significant playing time. He repeatedly let players dribble right past him in the lane for uncontested dunks. Some of his gaffes were astonishing to see happen in high level college basketball games.

No question he had some skills shooting and scoring but he was an historically bad defender and it is no surprise that he has done nothing since he left Syracuse.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion.
It's a shame that such offensive talents couldn't be coached up on the defensive side of the ball.
They have done that before with great success (Fab Melo, Rak Christmas).

Fair enough. I respect your opinion.
It's a shame that such offensive talents couldn't be coached up on the defensive side of the ball.
They have done that before with great success (Fab Melo, Rak Christmas).
Fab was good defensively from day one. Rak was as well. They were foul prone and had some technique issues but they were good on the defensive end right away. It took a while for Rak to get things together on offense (2 years). Fab never really did...probably could have had he stayed a third year.

Those guys cared about defense. They tried, they got mad when they were beaten; effort was never a problem with them.

TT played hard when he had the ball. Other than that, he did not appear to be interested in basketball. He was a really strange player. Could have been so much better than he was. It is a shame he was a bonehead.

I’ve heard rumblings that Goodine out performed Girard during practice all season.
Goodine barely got off the bench at Providence. Piled up DNP-CDs or got token minutes. He's supposed to be a good shooter but is not.

Goodine barely got off the bench at Providence. Piled up DNP-CDs or got token minutes. He's supposed to be a good shooter but is not.
And what you said has nothing to do with what I said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom