Indoor Facility Update | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Indoor Facility Update

If Minnesota of all places can have a nice outdoor stadium, along with almost every other northeast school , why can't we? You have what at most 1, maybe 2 November games? Football is meant to be played outside. Just look at all playoff nfl football. The pinstripe bowl was played in the cold and the snow and I didn't see the big deal.

Not to mention now that we're in the acc I think it would be smart to get some of those speed teams made up primarily of down south kids who have never seen snow in their life . It could give a good home field advantage

Not to mention now that we're in the acc I think it would be smart to get some of those speed teams made up primarily of down south kids who have never seen snow in their life . It could give a good home field advantage

Go and bring a recruit in for a game in late October or early November when it's 39 degrees and raining. Good luck getting him to commit.

Do you remember Jammi German?

Speedburner from Florida being recruited during the 90's.

He got off the plane for his visit, saw snow on the ground, and went right back home.

Ended up signing with the "U".

Go and bring a recruit in for a game in late October or early November when it's 39 degrees and raining. Good luck getting him to commit.

Outdoors is great in Cuse the first half of the season...then it becomes a real crap shoot...I remember one of the coldest games I ever went to was around Columbus Day Weekend 1975 vs Tulane. 38 degrees and a driving rain. Thankfully Dave Jacobs made his 5th short FG attempt to win 3-0.

The Dome was the best thing that happened to SU athletics. If we built a stadium at Hopkins or the State Fair (as proposed)...we'd have a situation like UConn without the amenities. Manley would've been used way too long (as it was remodeled around 1977) and we would've played in a 9000 seat arena into the 80's...you think we get the recruits we did?

Fast forward to 2012: We would be Temple. An aging 9000 seat Manley Field House or at best they built a 14,000 seat combo hockey/basketball) arena downtown or at SkyTop sometime in the 90's. A 40,000 seat stadium off campus would still be at the State Fair or at Hopkins and they would say we can't afford to add amenities to someting that got used 10-12 times a year.

I remember game after game after game after game oh maybe it was the rain i remember... Dome is the only way to go in Syracuse.

He got off the plane for his visit, saw snow on the ground, and went right back home.

Ok there's 1 case but I'm willing to bet we've lost more recruits because they don't want to play football in a dome in September and October then were afraid of the cold . Kids from this area grew up their whole lives playing in this weather . It's more a fan complaint then player .

Ok there's 1 case but I'm willing to bet we've lost more recruits because they don't want to play football in a dome in September and October then were afraid of the cold . Kids from this area grew up their whole lives playing in this weather . It's more a fan complaint then player .
name a kid that we lost to colder or worse weather schools. If we really want to make a statement and considering the number of years we would have a new facility we should go with a retractable roof. Would provide the best of all worlds.

Outdoors is great in Cuse the first half of the season...then it becomes a real crap shoot...I remember one of the coldest games I ever went to was around Columbus Day Weekend 1975 vs Tulane. 38 degrees and a driving rain. Thankfully Dave Jacobs made his 5th short FG attempt to win 3-0.

The Dome was the best thing that happened to SU athletics. If we built a stadium at Hopkins or the State Fair (as proposed)...we'd have a situation like UConn without the amenities. Manley would've been used way too long (as it was remodeled around 1977) and we would've played in a 9000 seat arena into the 80's...you think we get the recruits we did?

Fast forward to 2012: We would be Temple. An aging 9000 seat Manley Field House or at best they built a 14,000 seat combo hockey/basketball) arena downtown or at SkyTop sometime in the 90's. A 40,000 seat stadium off campus would still be at the State Fair or at Hopkins and they would say we can't afford to add amenities to someting that got used 10-12 times a year.

From my first game in 1968 until I left for college in 1977, I can recall maybe three or four sunny days at Archbold.

The Dome is great.

What is our brand new coach supposed to say, the facilities have gone from complete dogshite to slightly below average? I think those who think the facilities are top notch vs other BCS programs have never been in any other facilities.

Now, I will be finished playing devil's advocate to your devil's advocate. When all is said and done, our facilities will be middle of the road for the BCS. Nothing worse, nothing better. The best part of this is that it will no longer need to be hidden from recruits, no longer be a easy picking for negative recruiting, and no longer be a hinderance to player development and well being.

My guess is that in the next decade we will see the University build an entire new stadium for basketball and football. I had the luxury of having club passes for the SU Pitt game at the Pete. Very cool venue and the club area is a giant revenue producer for the university.

At a function held three years ago, Doug Marrone said that our facilities were dead last in the BE.

He said "give me facilities that are in the middle of the pack and I'll win."

We are a long way away from being in the middle of the pack in the BCS.

When SU builds a new stadium, I can't imagine it not being another dome (possibly with a retractable roof, but a dome none the less) the dome is in and of itself an icon. regardless of the cold weather advantages, the dome is who we are. When people think Syracuse athletics, they think of the dome. The dome is a huge reason why the fan support is what it is, it is what allows our building to sound as loud as it does, comparing to some of the stadiums with 60-70k fans, despite fan support that barely measures in the mid 40 thousands on an exceptional day.

We are in a lot of ways, defined by the dome. Syracuse and the Dome just go together.

If Minnesota of all places can have a nice outdoor stadium, along with almost every other northeast school , why can't we? You have what at most 1, maybe 2 November games? Football is meant to be played outside. Just look at all playoff nfl football. The pinstripe bowl was played in the cold and the snow and I didn't see the big deal.

And look where Minnesota is in the world of college football - it has actually done worse since moving back outdoors.

Sorry, but you're nuts - we must play in the Dome to compete. Period.

jammi german sounds like a complete idiot

i don't need to get on a plane to know that miami is hot

Yes ... The dome is a must, you can't go back. If we could afford it someday adding a convertible roof would not only be cool but an added advantage. If we have a strong passing game close the top. Or if we have a strong ground game ... Pop that top and let the elements in!

one thing the dome didnt thing of was the size of the crowds the bball would draw. they envisioned 15K type crowd if they can figure out a way to have 30K worth of good seats instead of 20K they could avg more in bball. it think the money only works if its one facility for both

Putting aside the fact that an outdoor stadium would be a real bad idea, if it did happen I would hope they'd put in a super nice recruiting lounge. Nobody would be cold or wet that's for sure.

Every one is focused on what the players will think about an outdoor stadium.

Think about the fans, or a lack thereof. We have an attendance problem now, and it's not because there's a roof.

Regardless of how you feel about indoor or outdoor football, if you put an outdoor football stadium in Syracuse...People. Will. Not. Go. And if there are no fans, there are no players who want to play in front of no fans.

If they could ever pull off retractable, then great. But first step is a roof, and work your way back from there.

Hope they never get rid of the Dome though. It's an on-campus treasure.

We must play in the Dome to compete. Period.

The Dome is completely fine with a major renovation to the locker rooms, medical/training rooms and a few other areas. The biggest biitch is parking, which they are continuing to take away unless you want to park at Manley and trolley up (for those without parking passes). When the Dome is close to sold out, the atmoshere is electric. The WVU game in 2011 was awesome (45k there, looked sold out).

The addition of the field turf, ribbon banner, new scoreboards and extra orange paint have helped immensely. There isn't a bad sight line in the place. The problem will always be getting enough fannies in the seats. That will come once we consistently start winning 8-10 games/year. You couple that with the improved slate of ACC home games that we will have and I think we are fine in the Dome for awhile. I would say a total of $3-4 million in upgrades are needed to accomplish those things I mentioned above.

Totally agree. I love the dome. I remember walking up to an evening football game last year when it was cold and blowing snow/sleet. I remember talking with a few people around me about how they'd like to be sitting outside that night and they all said, we'd be home if it were outside. I wish the parking was better but that won't keep me away.

Maybe someday some new tech engineering will find an affordable way to do it.

Some engineer could retire by inventing the same thing for a third of the cost.

Think that any construction in new jersey/nyc area has to account for other factors driving up the cost. I think I read somewhere that it cost more to build Metlife than it did to build the new Cowboys stadium. That is embarrassing!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The new Meadowlands stadium has two NFL teams and they did not build a retractable roof because they said the cost was prohibitive. How would we possibly afford it? We've barely had the money for the new IPF and we'll somehow build a new football stadium with a retractable roof? Maybe if we all chip in $44...

http://www.giants101.com/2013/02/02...york-giantsnew-york-jets-passed-due-to-price/

That is in NYC dollars, though. Minnesota built their Retractable Roof Stadium for $791MM. http://www.prlog.org/10662081-real-cost-of-vikings-stadium-retractable-roof.html Plus, the retractable roof was only $20MM more than the fixed roof, or it would have been $771MM for a fixed roof.

That is still a significant chunk of change but a new stadium in Syrause would probably be smaller and have less amenities compared to the NFL stadia.

Think that any construction in new jersey/nyc area has to account for other factors driving up the cost. I think I read somewhere that it cost more to build Metlife than it did to build the new Cowboys stadium. That is embarrassing!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jerryworld ... $1.15 billion
Metlife ... $1.6 billion.

Jerryworld ... $1.15 billion
Metlife ... $1.6 billion.

But Jerry built first and I don't think he had to deal with "offers" he couldn't refuse from contractors. Not to mention, MetLife just made Jerry's World second class, which was worth the cost, anyway. :cool:

That is in NYC dollars, though. Minnesota built their Retractable Roof Stadium for $791MM. http://www.prlog.org/10662081-real-cost-of-vikings-stadium-retractable-roof.html Plus, the retractable roof was only $20MM more than the fixed roof, or it would have been $771MM for a fixed roof.

That is still a significant chunk of change but a new stadium in Syrause would probably be smaller and have less amenities compared to the NFL stadia.

I'd love a new stadium, just trying to be realistic. For argument's sake, say we need $500 million for a new stadium with retractable roof. Where are we getting that money? Especially considering we've been pulling gold teeth to get $15-20 million for the IPF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom