Indoor Facility Update | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Indoor Facility Update

Do you remember Jammi German?

Speedburner from Florida being recruited during the 90's.

He got off the plane for his visit, saw snow on the ground, and went right back home.

Ended up signing with the "U".
But his HS teammate Rod Gadson was a signing day flip to us, from Colorado.

I'd love a new stadium, just trying to be realistic. For argument's sake, say we need $500 million for a new stadium with retractable roof. Where are we getting that money? Especially considering we've been pulling gold teeth to get $15-20 million for the IPF.

I agree. I posted in another thread, Stadium Facts, that I don't think the Dome will be replaced anytime soon unless there is a mega donor who kicks it off.

I offered the above to show that a retractable roof does not need to be excessively expensive. Minnesota has similar weather conditions and snow loads so the cost of stepping up from a roof to a retractable roof is not beyond limitations.

Improving the Dome as others have opined would go a long ways to bridging the gap until Syracuse needs to or has the money to replace the Dome.

I have never been to jerry world. However, the big screen tv and other amenities make it appear nicer than Metlife. At the USC/Cuse big city kickoff extravaganza or whatever it was called game my friend and I had access to a semi private bar which was cool. Otherwise it just seems like a standard new pro stadium to me. No frills or bells and whistles A couple of nice jumbotrons, space to walk around in the concourse, eco friendly green water less urinals and wide seats for the modern fan :^). I don't see why it cost so much to construct other than where it is located. New Foxboro, Lincoln financial, and Ravens stadium are all very comparable and didn't cost the same as Metlife.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I have never been to jerry world. However, the big screen tv and other amenities make it appear nicer than Metlife. At the USC/Cuse big city kickoff extravaganza or whatever it was called game my friend and I had access to a semi private bar which was cool. Otherwise it just seems like a standard new pro stadium to me. No frills or bells and whistles A couple of nice jumbotrons, space to walk around in the concourse, eco friendly green water less urinals and wide seats for the modern fan :^). I don't see why it cost so much to construct other than where it is located. New Foxboro, Lincoln financial, and Ravens stadium are all very comparable and didn't cost the same as Metlife.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Admittedly, I am a Giants fan and I live near Houston. Any opportunity to trash Jerry, Dallas, and/ or the cowgirls is to be used to the fullest, whether true or not. Not that I'm biased, 'cause I'm not... :D

That is in NYC dollars, though. Minnesota built their Retractable Roof Stadium for $791MM. http://www.prlog.org/10662081-real-cost-of-vikings-stadium-retractable-roof.html Plus, the retractable roof was only $20MM more than the fixed roof, or it would have been $771MM for a fixed roof.

That is still a significant chunk of change but a new stadium in Syrause would probably be smaller and have less amenities compared to the NFL stadia.

It's still between 400 and 500 million, where's that coming from?

I agree, it aint happening, unless A) A big Money Donor comes along and donates Bill Gate type money for it, or B) some private development company thinks they can create the Syracuse equivalent of the Staples Center/Atlantic Yards area of Syracuse, where the Stadium is a focal point of the project. None of which are happening.

What I think will be put on the table is a study into a sort of Carrier Dome Annex, where by they blow out a wall or two of the dome, and build all the luxury money making ammentities that is neccessary. A bigger Club 44, nicer suites etc.

Have they ever updated the suites at the dome.? WHat they need is better lighting, the dome looks so dark on tv during football.

To answer your post directly, I do not know.

Read post #102. The Minnesota roof was about $$180MM for a fixed roof and about $200MM (both #'s from memory). My main point was that if you are going to have a roof, it does not cost that much more to go to a retractable roof.

I'm no expert, but I know things can be accomplishd outside NYC for much less than in NYC (or the Meadowlands, to be precise). Maybe some of our construction/architect fellow posters can comment.

Anyone remember about 5 years or so ago a private firm putting together an unsolicitaed proposal for a new dome that wouldnt cost the school a dime? I wonder what the results of that were, would be cool to find that floating on the internet somewhere.

Anyone remember about 5 years or so ago a private firm putting together an unsolicitaed proposal for a new dome that wouldnt cost the school a dime? I wonder what the results of that were, would be cool to find that floating on the internet somewhere.

I recall this. Not much came of it. Incidently, I cannot obtain the Daily Orange article linked to in the article. I don't recall any reditions/drawings, only talk. Not sure how they would raise funds, either.

Syracuse Paper: http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2007/08/new_stadium_in_su_future.html
and
http://blog.syracuse.com/axeman/2007/08/byebye_carrier_dome.html

AOL News: http://www.aolnews.com/2007/08/05/private-firm-proposes-carrier-dome-replacement/

What a long ways we have come since teh late 70's. Open air Archibold Stadium to the Dome to IP for hoops and another for football. Imrovements for sure.

I agree, it aint happening, unless A) A big Money Donor comes along and donates Bill Gate type money for it, or B) some private development company thinks they can create the Syracuse equivalent of the Staples Center/Atlantic Yards area of Syracuse, where the Stadium is a focal point of the project. None of which are happening.

What I think will be put on the table is a study into a sort of Carrier Dome Annex, where by they blow out a wall or two of the dome, and build all the luxury money making ammentities that is neccessary. A bigger Club 44, nicer suites etc.

Have they ever updated the suites at the dome.? WHat they need is better lighting, the dome looks so dark on tv during football.

This is the most reasonable idea. Build a multi-story addition to the west end, roofline flush with the current stadium rim. Add some seats up top; put a level of suites in beneath the second deck; add an expanded concourse with concessions and restrooms; have a grand entry and atrium opening onto Irving with expanded lockers, press space, and loading docks on the bottom level.

This is the most reasonable idea. Build a multi-story addition to the west end, roofline flush with the current stadium rim. Add some seats up top; put a level of suites in beneath the second deck; add an expanded concourse with concessions and restrooms; have a grand entry and atrium opening onto Irving with expanded lockers, press space, and loading docks on the bottom level.

The biggest reason for consideration of moving to south campus with whatever kind of facility is the value of the current location of the dome as an academic footprint.

At a function held three years ago, Doug Marrone said that our facilities were dead last in the BE.

He said "give me facilities that are in the middle of the pack and I'll win."

We are a long way away from being in the middle of the pack in the BCS.

OK, they updated the whole football wing, and like Rocco said, it gave him the chills. They updated the players lounge, lockeroom, etc. We have the somewhat new weight room. We are getting the indoor practice field and we'll assume something will be done with the rehab stuff. What else is missing?

I present the Palace at Auburn Hills, they did a $22M 60k sq ft addition in 2006, to add more suites lounges and atrium entrance.

http://www.frankrewold.com/#/the-palace-of-auburn-hills/4556383615

And Rutgers is doing the same thing at the RAC
Rutgers.jpg

I have never understood why people think the dome is anything but excellent for football. I've been in multiple NFL stadiums, SEC stadiums, and B1G stadiums, and I have never consistently had the same view that I get to enjoy in the dome. Also, the location is next to perfect. It is smack-dab in the middle of campus (this is especially true due to the west campus expansions), and the parking is really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There is adaquate parking, and there is easy transportation to and from the parking. The great irony of all of this is that, at the bigger stadiums, I've heard people complain that the parking lots were too big and that there needed to be a bus to take people to the game. Syracuse provides that and people still complain! And yes, where our parking is off location, the bus ride is quick enough so that the travel time isn't much worse than walking the length of some of the endless parkinglots at the major stadiums that some of the above posters want to emulate. Also, people complain about the seats all of the time, but I have never had a problem with them. I actually like the bench seating, because it packs everyone together and makes the dome that much more entertaining when it's a big-time game. Anyway, if the seats are your biggest problems, then you are looking for problems. And when you are looking for problems, you will find 'em no matter how perfect the thing is.

The dome has been great to the basketball and lax programs, and, since it is pretty much paid for, if not entirely paid for, it makes our athletic dept. MUCH more profitable than it otherwise would be. If we really want to improve our teams, then, instead of spending money to build a new dome, we will use our money to improve our practice facilities (i.e. upgrade locker rooms, team lounges, study rooms, and build an indoor practice facility that can be used for football and lax), and we will upgrade our coaching staff. As it stands right now, we seem to be upgrading our practice facilities, and our coaching staffs are very good. Both Desko and Boeheim are in the Hall of Fame, and HCSS was an amazing DC and he has done an excellent job putting together a good recruiting class at the last minute. Although nothing is for sure, all evidence indicates that if he was given a full year, he could put together one heck of a recruiting class, and he has already proven that he can put togther one heck of a defense and develop talent. The only remaining question is whether the new OC can call plays on offense.

All in all, we are in a very good position. Even our women's sports are looking good. Gary Gait is an excellent coach and will benefit frfom the new facilities upgrades, and coach Q has taken the basketball team to new heights.

To answer your post directly, I do not know.

Read post #102. The Minnesota roof was about $$180MM for a fixed roof and about $200MM (both #'s from memory). My main point was that if you are going to have a roof, it does not cost that much more to go to a retractable roof.

I'm no expert, but I know things can be accomplishd outside NYC for much less than in NYC (or the Meadowlands, to be precise). Maybe some of our construction/architect fellow posters can comment.
The additional costs of adding a retractable roof vs. a fixed roof could easily be financed through a naming rights deal. Not unheard of getting $1 million a year to put naming rights on a stadium. And by the time this is built, have to assume a better overall economy, thus would likely be able to get North of that figure relatively easy.

Naming rights do not have to be tied to a local business. It could be a national brand that wants the exposure everytime there is a telecast or article written about Syracuse. Look at the Pepsi center as an example.

Naming rights do not have to be tied to a local business. It could be a national brand that wants the exposure everytime there is a telecast or article written about Syracuse. Look at the Pepsi center as an example.
"The Carrier Dome ft. the Pepsi Roof" seems a little much.

OK, they updated the whole football wing, and like Rocco said, it gave him the chills. They updated the players lounge, lockeroom, etc. We have the somewhat new weight room. We are getting the indoor practice field and we'll assume something will be done with the rehab stuff. What else is missing?

The IPF will be a game changer- if done well.

How about better lockers in the Dome?

The biggest reason for consideration of moving to south campus with whatever kind of facility is the value of the current location of the dome as an academic footprint.

I know that that's reported as a reason, but SU has a ton of land that is virtually shovel-ready and equally centrally-located (they have 2 million square feet of capacity on West Campus and three times that elsewhere on Main Campus), none of which requires any demolition, much less demolition and a quarter-billion dollars of new construction elsewhere.

It's very difficult to believe that's the rationale for a new stadium.

I present the Palace at Auburn Hills, they did a $22M 60k sq ft addition in 2006, to add more suites lounges and atrium entrance.

http://www.frankrewold.com/#/the-palace-of-auburn-hills/4556383615

And Rutgers is doing the same thing at the RAC
Rutgers.jpg

That's right, people rave about what the Pistons did.

In about a 20,000 square foot footprint on Irving, SU could solve every gripe people have with the Dome (other than maybe parking, pricing, and Mr. Excitement) with no land acquisition costs, no zoning variances, and minimal infrastructure improvements. They could even add a level of premium parking right in the building.

That's right, people rave about what the Pistons did.

In about a 20,000 square foot footprint on Irving, SU could solve every gripe people have with the Dome (other than maybe parking, pricing, and Mr. Excitement) with no land acquisition costs, no zoning variances, and minimal infrastructure improvements. They could even add a level of premium parking right in the building.

AAAAC1b4pFsAAAAAAFDcEw.png