Interesting Quote From Tyus... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Quote From Tyus...

Lucid

Last One Picked
“I’m only a junior. I do have a year left of eligibility.”
I have no idea if it points to anything, but it is interesting, and whatever else he may be, Tyus isn't stupid. He's got to know he's not good enough yet to be the NBA player he so desperately wants to be.

Im going to go completely against board opinion here.

Tyus did make some strides this year towards showing a dynamic skillset. He had games where he didnt score but racked up 4-7 assists and rebounded well. He expanded his game a bit, albeit inconsistently.

His stock diminished this year due to inconsistency in scoring and poor shooting percentages.

He took a gamble coming back and may have lost. In my opinion the gambles not yet over and his hand is not folded. It’s unlikely but should he choose to comeback and have the ability to not force shots (not necessarily his fault) and work on further expanding his game he could sneak back in the second round.

Its not impossible.

Tyus had his ups and downs this season and needs to be more consistent, but overall he lead and carried the team, plus often had that fire in him. This year did help him in showing his leadership potential to NBA scouts. There's very little chance that another year at SU would help him with NBA aspirations or being drafted higher. He will get drafted. He is ready to move on to the NBA, or at least a European professional career is he doesn't stick in the NBA or get stuck in the G League. Showing well on a summer NBA team will help. Of course, I'd love to see him back his last year, but this will not happen.

Boeheim has been of the opinion most of the season that this will be Tyus’s last year.

Im going to go completely against board opinion here.

Tyus did make some strides this year towards showing a dynamic skillset. He had games where he didnt score but racked up 4-7 assists and rebounded well. He expanded his game a bit, albeit inconsistently.

His stock diminished this year due to inconsistency in scoring and poor shooting percentages.

He took a gamble coming back and may have lost. In my opinion the gambles not yet over and his hand is not folded. It’s unlikely but should he choose to comeback and have the ability to not force shots (not necessarily his fault) and work on further expanding his game he could sneak back in the second round.

Its not impossible.

I still don't see him on an NBA roster right now, had he left after last season. Who leaves early to go D League? Or Turkey? I'm tired of watching guys who leave early. Look at what Villanova has done with seniors.

I suspect somewhere back about 20 years ago JB staked his future on the premise that in order to win you need top level talent, and with that comes baggage. Those risks include the "one and done" types.

I still don't see him on an NBA roster right now, had he left after last season. Who leaves early to go D League? Or Turkey? I'm tired of watching guys who leave early. Look at what Villanova has done with seniors.

I suspect somewhere back about 20 years ago JB staked his future on the premise that in order to win you need top level talent, and with that comes baggage. Those risks include the "one and done" types.

Agreed, I do see a path to the draft though (not necessarily sticking) should he return and get his assists and boards up to 3.5 and 5 per game while improving that 3 pt % to closer to 36. Back would be against the wall though. I’d certainly not blame him for pursuing the money across the Atlantic now.

Truthfully, I do not think Ty is an NBA player. His shot is funky, he is at best a mediocre three point shooter, he has good collegiate level athleticism, but at best average NBA level athleticism, and he is not really creative on his drives. He can sometimes take over college games for spurts, but cannot do that as consistently as an NBA caliber player should be able to so.

All that being said, he is obviously not a PG, and he was forced to play out of position for much of the season. If he were to come back and be able to play 100% of the time at his natural position of 2G, I think his stock could rise modestly.

NBA is looking primarily for young guys with upside and secondarily for guys who are solid, but are perceived to have little upside, which is Ty. Coming back as a senior thus will not hurt him as compared to coming out as a junior, key would be how much he might be able to improve if he did come back.

That would make 5 rotation guards, 4 rotation wings and still no dependable point guard or center.

I mean, he’s welcome back, but we kind of already have a logjam that puts a skinny PF as the presumptuous starting 5 and 2’s at the 1.

I feel bad for Tyus...Frank really let him down. If he had gone last year after our Sweet 16 run, he probably goes late 2nd round. Who knows if that is better or worse in the long run for him. At least he will have is degree, smart kid.

I have no idea if it points to anything, but it is interesting, and whatever else he may be, Tyus isn't stupid. He's got to know he's not good enough yet to be the NBA player he so desperately wants to be.

There is zero reason for him to stay here. Whether he makes it in the NBA or goes somewhere else to play professionally, he isn't going to get better here. He needs to leave and anyone telling him to stay doesn't have his best interests in mind.

This will be unpopular but I for one hope Battle moves on. I am tired of that style of play. The dribble for 30 seconds and launch a contested long 2.

That may or may not be all that Ty is capable of, but until he plays with a legit center and a PG who can break down Ds we will not know for sure.

"I thought you were supposed to stay in school for four years?"
Tyus has earned his degree in three years. Why stick around to get a masters? I think if he was reasonably assured of being drafted, most likely in the 2nd round, makes sense for him to move on. It probably would be G league but if he has confidence in his abilities, go for it.

If he'd have gone last year, he'd be playing in Turkey now. If he comes back and is able to play off the ball as a 2 or a 3, he'll have a good year. His only chance to make the NBA is if he comes back and improves.

This will be unpopular but I for one hope Battle moves on. I am tired of that style of play. The dribble for 30 seconds and launch a contested long 2.
One player's presence should not affect that one way or rhe other. If there are other scoring options available through good ball movement, one player should not prevent that. That's on the coaches, if he does.

That may or may not be all that Ty is capable of, but until he plays with a legit center and a PG who can break down Ds we will not know for sure.

Is he going to play with a legit PG and a legit center next year? No? So more of the same. I don't need to see a repeat of this year or the year before.

Last years Nova roster had 0 Seniors that contributed. And then they all left early.

Tyus has earned his degree in three years. Why stick around to get a masters? I think if he was reasonably assured of being drafted, most likely in the 2nd round, makes sense for him to move on. It probably would be G league but if he has confidence in his abilities, go for it.
I think it depends on what he is comfortable with and the advice he is getting. If I think I'm playing in the NBA, I go. If I don't think that's going to happen, I would probably think long and hard about staying. Not everyone is looking purely at the paycheck and leaving your family to go overseas may be more uncomfortable for some than others. It depends on how much he is enjoying college, if he is ready to look at basketball as only a business, and if he would like to prepare more for his post basketball career before making the likely move overseas.

Given what most guys do now and the fact he has his degree I'd be shocked if hw staye, but maybe he is a unique guy.

I feel bad for Tyus...Frank really let him down. If he had gone last year after our Sweet 16 run, he probably goes late 2nd round. Who knows if that is better or worse in the long run for him. At least he will have is degree, smart kid.

Both Frank and Tyus each had the same own agenda this year: their own futures. Neither one was a very good teammate for the other, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some level of friction there. Seriously, how many times did we toss away a first half lead while they took turns going 1 against 4? Frank was "too much dribbling" and Tyus wouldn't pass. You could see the sag in both OB and MD over the second half of the season, knowing they weren't going to see much ball. Same with EH. He'd light up the first half, and then "Enough of that, now I'm getting mine!" took over.

They won a title their stock all soared because of that.

Is anyone unaware of that? I quoted a person say to look at what they did with Seniors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom