Interesting Quote From Tyus... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Quote From Tyus...

For his benefit, he needs to go. He arguably did more damage to his stock by returning because of his field goal efficiency.

Last years Nova roster had 0 Seniors that contributed. And then they all left early.

On that point last year, you're right. Historically however, their success has been driven by upperclassmen. (there, that should leave me some wiggle room :) )

His best route at this point might be to just leave, probably end up in Europe or the G-League, and try to work his way up to an NBA contract. I'm not sure I really foresee an NBA career for him; he's just not a complimentary piece in terms of his skillset and he's certainly not good enough to carry the load in the NBA. I think he'll have to reinvent his game at the next level if he wants to play in the NBA.

I'd still probably happily take him back next season, but at the same time, I am kinda curious to see if anyone steps up in his and Frank's absence.

The worst kept secret in basketball is that the G-league is the elephant's graveyard of one-and-done's. Face it, living in Des Moines, riding a bus and pounding the boards for what, $35K a year is tough. Then don't they have to find a part-time job for the off-season? For most, it's an unsubtle hint to check out Europe or China.

"I thought you were supposed to stay in school for four years?"

I BELIEVE YOU FORGOT THE "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT"

IMO, he will be encouraged to move one. If he stays, again, things continue to be clogged up. If he stays, Carey definitely goes.

I see it truly as a win win for Tyus. What people are missing is he is a throwback to the true student athlete and values the educational opportunity he has been given. If he realistically feels he is not an NBA level talent it wouldn’t totally surprise me to see him bypass a year in the G-League/Europe and get his I-School masters. If he feels he is borderline NBA and feels the professional route is a better development opportunity he certainly has that option and depending on roster competition / injuries may get a 10 day or two way opportunity to experience life in the league. At any rate he will always be part of the Orange family and expect him to be a very visible supporter for years.

The worst kept secret in basketball is that the G-league is the elephant's graveyard of one-and-done's. Face it, living in Des Moines, riding a bus and pounding the boards for what, $35K a year is tough. Then don't they have to find a part-time job for the off-season? For most, it's an unsubtle hint to check out Europe or China.

Most of the one-and-done guys that end up in the GLeague are on an NBA contract and are just in the GLeague to develop, so they're getting their money. I'm not sure if those that are on actual GLeague contracts pick up summer jobs in the offseason; they might simply bounce around playing in other leagues or working out waiting for their next shot. There's been a ton of success stories from the GLeague at this point so clearly people are making it work one way or another.

I’d welcome him back with open arms. He has a degree and a good up bringing. Im a fan not an agent.

Money will be there in Europe regardless. Triche is a millionaire now isn’t he? I’d certainly not bash tyus for chasing the money now to avoid losing it all if he’s hurt, though.

17 ppg isn’t cake to replace. Tyus is not Dontae. We’re not reloading with guys ready to take over from day 1.

Tyus has earned his degree in three years. Why stick around to get a masters? I think if he was reasonably assured of being drafted, most likely in the 2nd round, makes sense for him to move on. It probably would be G league but if he has confidence in his abilities, go for it.
Masters will benefit him post BB

Doesn't he have the option to transfer to another school and get his masters there? I am sure he would want to go to a good program with lots of potential to make a run at NCAAs. Similar to Russell Wilson move few years back from NC St to Wisconsin in football.

I’d welcome him back with open arms. He has a degree and a good up bringing. Im a fan not an agent.

Money will be there in Europe regardless. Triche is a millionaire now isn’t he? I’d certainly not bash tyus for chasing the money now to avoid losing it all if he’s hurt, though.

17 ppg isn’t cake to replace. Tyus is not Dontae. We’re not reloading with guys ready to take over from day 1.

I agree JB would be glad to have him back because he knows what he's getting. I hope if he does come back he becomes the team's real leader. But I suspect he's more likely to continue as the strong silent type we've seen for a while.

Ready for this one...just throwing this out there now in case it happens I can say I was ahead of the curve. Graduate transfer to play a year with his little brother in a different system and a league that he would dominate. Any takers?

If he comes back I would recommend that Carey leaves. He was promised the keys this year because he was told Battle would probably leave. If Battle comes back, do you want to see that backcourt from last night playing 70 minutes a game? Part of our defensive problem this year was Battle and Howard appearing disinterested during long stretches of games. History shows us that upperclassman don’t get held to the same standards as freshman and sophomores. They both were lazy this year and OB and Hughes were both lazy too. Even Chukwu didn’t play with the same edge this year. The total lack of accountability on defense this year was mind-boggling. The exact same team as last year never gave up as many open threes as this team. How does that happen? JB can spin it anyway he wants, but the effort was not there. I don’t have time to say all that is wrong with our offense. This offense needs top talent. Without talent you need to run some continuation on offense with motion sets. We have nothing in our offense that will free up a shooter. JB tries to run “cross” to free up a shooter. A high school team can defend that simple play. Just look at what we tried to do at the end of the first haif, or any other final possession this year, that resembled any kind of execution. Five to six years ago shooting was poor. The deep three is taken by most good shooters. The zone can no longer defend it with any kind of consistency. Try a 1-3-1 zone for a couple of trips, or trap out front, just to change the rhythm of the offensive team. Continue to do the same thing over and over is just plain stupid. If JB is serious about wanting to win, he will make some changes. If he just wants to cash his check, keep doing what you’re doing.

Doesn't he have the option to transfer to another school and get his masters there? I am sure he would want to go to a good program with lots of potential to make a run at NCAAs. Similar to Russell Wilson move few years back from NC St to Wisconsin in football.
Doubt he goes to another school he will leave or be back here.

Tyus has earned his degree in three years. Why stick around to get a masters? I think if he was reasonably assured of being drafted, most likely in the 2nd round, makes sense for him to move on. It probably would be G league but if he has confidence in his abilities, go for it.

I might be wrong, but I think he may be 1-2 courses short of graduating this May. I thought I read or heard that someplace.

Well, to be fair "expected" is not a decision. JB expected it last year. We all expect it at the end of this year. Time will tell..

He will go to tryouts but not declare for the draft. Let's see where he is at after the combine, what advice he is given. The NBA absolutely knows who he is, what he is capable of. The current draft positions are largely drawn up by people who just look at the current time, where the NBA scouts know more than that. Time will tell.

Funniest scenario would be he grad transfers to Washington to end his career with Hop, QG and IS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom