Is Cooney the best... | Syracusefan.com

Is Cooney the best...

A freshman who was recruited to be a backup PG, a pure shooter who has never played PG, and a slasher who just started trying to be a PG walk into a bar...
the bartender says, which of you three is paying for the duck?

He also has stones. Not the best player in the world but he is the 3rd best player on the team and he deserves better from the fan base.
Hey Dash...I disagree. In general, the offense has to run through Cooney or we have zero chance to make the NCAA. Contrary to many of the idiots on here...Cooney is our most offensive important player.

He also has stones. Not the best player in the world but he is the 3rd best player on the team and he deserves better from the fan base.
Other than Rak, who do you think is better than Cooney?

Other than Rak, who do you think is better than Cooney?
I guess I think Chris M. is. And to the person who said TC is the most important player, I said best player. Not most important.

Trevor's obviously more than just a streaky shooter. Wish it hadn't taken him so long to take some initiative but I'm sure he feels some urgency and I hope he continues to hog more of the ball.

Kalebs getting eaten alive. Would a Cooney/MG backcourt be a bad thing?

I guess I think Chris M. is. And to the person who said TC is the most important player, I said best player. Not most important.

I think that McCullough has the potential to be great, but IMO, he's nowhere near that level yet.

I think that McCullough has the potential to be great, but IMO, he's nowhere near that level yet.
I won't argue the point. I actually think Joseph or roberson are the most important players on our team. We have 3 players that can play at a high level. Need at least one more. Probably two.

A freshman who was recruited to be a backup PG, a pure shooter who has never played PG, and a slasher who just started trying to be a PG walk into a bar...
...and why is your coaches face so long??

Maybe Cooney's oft-criticized iron pumping has a subtle benefit - he seems to get less pressure or more respect than Joseph when bringing the ball up. Having said that, though, I'm surprised the opposing coach didn't harass Joseph harder and more often than he/they did. But that'll toughen Joseph. More on that in 2016/17. Battle test him now, then reap our deep guard situation in his junior year...

I do disagree with the opinions of the announcers that Joseph shouldn't have driven on that late play. He very nearly drew a 5th foul on their center, and even 1/2 from the foul line would have given SU a one point lead. Cooney would have felt better with the ball in those waning seconds, sure, but the play just wasn't there for him at that moment. Lesson? Play close to the basket as often as possible. SU still did launch a few stupid threes early in the clock.

But fewer of 'em!

And where are all the people who said Cooney has no handle and all he can do is run around the perimeter? Oh, and those who claim he is weak on defense. :crazy:

Pretty out of the box post there realorange. I think a lot of us know he's better than just waiting in the weeds but that's kindve on Trevor isn't it?

Ball-handling is not a strength of this team. Similar issue as last year were SU has 2/3 guys on the floor at all times who can't handle the ball, which is odd in today's game. Teams will press, so SU needs to make the pay by attacking the rim when they break pressure. Quickest way to stop a press is draw some fouls on the opposition's big men.

Pretty out of the box post there realorange. I think a lot of us know he's better than just waiting in the weeds but that's kindve on Trevor isn't it?
My point is simply that many posters are too quick to criticize Trevor about all the things I mentioned. Yes, he's been inconsistent with his shooting but the other parts of his game have been underappreciated.

Hey Dash...I disagree. In general, the offense has to run through Cooney or we have zero chance to make the NCAA. Contrary to many of the idiots on here...Cooney is our most offensive important player.
Idiots? Why is it that some posters have to revert to name calling if others have a difference of opinion?

And where are all the people who said Cooney has no handle and all he can do is run around the perimeter? Oh, and those who claim he is weak on defense. :crazy:

Eh, I said that - except for the ballhandler part. He has a decent enough handle. Once ACC play starts I doubt he shows much in the way of getting to the rim with success from what I've seen thus far. We shall see - I'd rather be wrong. Eh, I never said he was weak on defense either, so I guess I'm only claiming one of those. I do think, like with Triche, when he struggles on offense his defensive prowess grows in equal proportion on this forum. :)

Phenomenal game today though by TC!

Joseph looks like a high school SF trying to play PG for the first time his Frosh year. His mistakes are odd - they aren't JFlynn playing too fast careless type errors - not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom