Is it probable our incoming freshman | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is it probable our incoming freshman

Thread is ridiculous I’m high on these guys but this feels like the time we cheered on QG leaving because everyone thought Benny would be an upgrade as a true freshmen.
Agreed. I can’t find Donnie Freeman on any draft boards. Hopefully the coaches are honest with these kids. Not everyone is going to the nba( although player handlers and family friends all think so). Reality hits home pretty hard. The coaches need to be blunt with these players. One and done
nba sure shots are few and far between. In fact , NBA teams are realizing that the European players are coming to the NBA more fundamentally sound and ready to play then the US kids. Our aau system stresses too many games and too few practices.

Thread is ridiculous I’m high on these guys but this feels like the time we cheered on QG leaving because everyone thought Benny would be an upgrade as a true freshmen.
Not sure we’ve ever had a recruit who wasn’t an either a one and done guy or the best under the radar guy. No in between.

Mintz to NBA draft
Bell (portal)
Taylor (portal)
Williams (portal)
Carey (portal)
Hima (portal)
I’m ok with this. Bell can stay but he can’t play more than 10 minutes a game unless he’s hot.

Judah's situation is intriguing to me. He's old for his class but isn't on any mock drafts, even as a second-rounder. Obviously that could change, but he'd need to get hot in a hurry.

In the past, low or non-existent draft projections wouldn't stop guys from declaring with the hope of landing a G-League or Euro deal, and that still could be the case, but could we get Judah an NIL deal that would compete with that? Otherwise we're either converting Q to PG, looking to the portal, or putting a lot of eggs in the Westry basket.

lol
Sometimes, I see this board as an echo chamber for 5-6 posters (not pearl31). Somehow, if our five starters are not sure-fire first-rounders averaging 17-19ppg (in exactly 29-31 minutes) and every bench player does not show up on the All-ACC third team, then we need to start sending out calendar invites for "the talk" with multiple players? At midseason?
  • Bell is a helluva shooter and growing on the defensive end.
  • JT is gonna get better as an upperclassman. He's Mike Hopkins v.1994. A winning player.
  • Carey can help us win games in the coming years. He could be JB Reifsnyder for a new generation.
Please, let these kids play, let Red/staff coach and stop treating the program like your dreadful fantasy football team that you quit on mid-season because your QB got injured.

Mintz to NBA draft
Bell (portal)
Taylor (portal)
Williams (portal)
Carey (portal)
Hima (portal)
Hopefully you put it in the mail to Santa prior to xmas, otherwise it's not going to happen.

Mintz to NBA draft
Bell (portal)
Taylor (portal)
Williams (portal)
Carey (portal)
Hima (portal)
I think Hima might still be at Syracuse, but no longer a player. His injuries sell severe and chronic.

Mintz leaving for the pros seems likely, but not sure.

McLeod, Carey and Patterson all have a clear path to playing time... If you were Carey or Patterson, are you scared off by the other guy? Both are tall and athletic, and the incumbent starter just had season ending foot surgery, which is a career ender on far too many big men.

Brown is the starter at center, and will definitely play a ton, but Williams has gotten a lot of chances, and seems to be having fun. Maybe he could transfer, but didn't seem like a lock.

Bell and Taylor are both starters given medium amounts of minutes. Do either get frightened off by Freeman? Maybe one does portal, but I wouldn't expect both.

Starling, Copeland and Cuffe are getting bigger roles, maybe Cuffe transfers again if he thinks Westry is healthy and Moore is going to be better than him?

I think Mintz and Hima make room for Freeman and Moore.

I bet one more player portals and one surprise performance late in the season has a player declare for the draft, like Malachi Richardson.

I think it will be good news as we have an excellent end of the year on unexpected strong performance.

Then Red portals ina center to replace Hima and flips a top 50 High school player to replace the unexpected player to declare for the draft.

Sometimes, I see this board as an echo chamber for 5-6 posters (not pearl31). Somehow, if our five starters are not sure-fire first-rounders averaging 17-19ppg (in exactly 29-31 minutes) and every bench player does not show up on the All-ACC third team, then we need to start sending out calendar invites for "the talk" with multiple players? At midseason?
  • JT is gonna get better as an upperclassman. He's Mike Hopkins v.1994. A winning player.
  • Carey can help us win games in the coming years. He could be JB Reifsnyder for a new generation.
Please, let these kids play, let Red/staff coach and stop treating the program like your dreadful fantasy football team that you quit on mid-season because your QB got injured.
You enjoy the bubble or worse?

Those are decent players and good guys, but I guess it all depends on what you want Syracuse basketball to be. If we want to compete with Duke and UNC and contend for Final Fours, these guys simply won't cut it unless they are the depth. If we want to squeak by Colgate and get laughed at by Uconn fans, then we can roll with 4 years of them as the main event. There's really no way around it, so why wait? Red's a new HC and needs to make a move for his own sake.

As others have stated, this isn't the reality of modern college basketball, and waiting 3-4 years for multiple guys to fully 'develop' is not only risky for the staff's jobs, it's unnecessary.

Roster building is now year-by-year, and does in fact resemble building a fantasy roster, in some ways. There's of course nuance to all of this, but the sooner fans can accept ways of working in the past no longer apply, the sooner Red and SU can get over the hill of the program's current status

Every player just needs a little game time and another year to make the leap. It's simple really. No one ever isn't good enough. That's how we've been so successful for the last decade.

It’s kind of funny actually.

Need to make that one midrange shot to be “back”, one game “on the right path”.

As others have stated, this isn't the reality of modern college basketball, and waiting 3-4 years for multiple guys to fully 'develop' is not only risky for the staff's jobs, it's unnecessary.

Roster building is now year-by-year, and does in fact resemble building a fantasy roster, in some ways. There's of course nuance to all of this, but the sooner fans can accept ways of working in the past no longer apply, the sooner Red and SU can get over the hill of the program's current status
If we “develop” guys and it takes 2-3 years to get them up to speed, we’ll be good one out of four years or maybe never really that good. I don’t think any of our guys would start on UConn, UConn! The team that would be left behind, mid major, awful coach, that UConn.

My take is:

Building blocks: Q, Maliq, Freeman and Bell are my locks.

TBD:
JJ has to get his stuff right like he did last game. He's a TBD to me. But I would bet on him coming around to play at a much higher level.

Westry, of whom I love his potential, has to stay healthy, which he has not. And the best predictor of future health is past health.

Push comes to shove, I think one of these two will be a baller for us next year. I'm not betting on both.

Definitely need to grab a portal guy for center. Definitely need a true wing that is versatile (to an extent, it is college) and then probably another guard. Not sure how much Moore will contribute day one.

I'm real worried about the current center position and Justin Taylor. Add in JJ's inconsistency and Westry's health, and I think we just need to be sure we're round out in a solid fashion.

Good luck to Judah making it in the NBA. We need more guys in the league.

Are we going to pretend guys haven’t gone pro doing less?
You’re not wrong, but also before the portal and NIL, but like someone else said, I’m not sure some of those guys had an option to come back.

Anyone I’m scared of losing on this roster I’m more concerned about the portal rather the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom