Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, as crazy as it sounds, it actually is possible to both love JB and acknowledge the time has come - it's not some either/or proposition
Exactly! I still get worked up on here when people disparage his entire career on here. He's had an amazing career and brought me my greatest sports moments as a fan. But we're below our standards and I don't really see signs of a turnaround either. All good things come to an end.

Heck my dad is the same age as JB and he doesn't have the energy to be an accountant all day like he used to. He needs a nap, maybe even 2 every day :)

Based on what we've seen this year, and his words last night on the radio, I'm afraid the answer is No.

I'm not sure if it comes down to the "willing" or the "able" - probably a combo of the two - but it's become clear that he can't/won't assemble the type of roster required to be relevant (compete to be in top of ACC, a non-bubble seed in NCAAT).

Obviously I'll wait to see what the roster for next year is actually comprised of before fully judging - but if it's the incoming freshmen (plus Mintz perhaps) minus the Boeheim bros and Swider, as JB indicated last night, that's roster malpractice - just as this season was/is roster malpractice.

It's sad and tiresome.

I still don't understand why Swider is leaving. He will be the featured scorer, along with Girard, next year. Who doesn't want a better shooting 6-9 Ryan Blackwell in your starting lineup? I just don't get it.

Who has disparaged his entire career here? (to MSOrange 2 posts above)

Who was the recruit JB said we would consider playing some man to man during the recruitment?
We didn’t get the kid.

I will believe JB will play m2m non press when i see it.
He’s done it before. 2009 I think was going to be a m2m team. Didn’t we play man against Lemoyne in that exhibition game?

We lost a top 50 player who grew up 10 miles from the Carrier Dome to Notre Dame when his family wanted him to come here.

We have lost multiple kids from Rochester and multiple kids from Albany. We lost Symir originally. We are getting cooked in our own backyard.

We did used to own the good players Upstate.

I still don't understand why Swider is leaving. He will be the featured scorer, along with Girard, next year. Who doesn't want a better shooting 6-9 Ryan Blackwell in your starting lineup? I just don't get it.
It almost seems win-win for Swider. Stay on, and work on a (free?) Master's, or maybe get a decent gig for some pay, and traveling experience. Have no idea what his personal and private goals and dreams are.

What HS games has JB gone to during the season. Like the college coaches who go to all those games do.
We send Red, GMac because the HC doesn’t go.

When we played at Virginia Tech it was Red at Mintz HS game not JB.
I happened to see an article about a kid from Maine. Cooper Flagg a 6’8 ninth grader rated one of the top 10 ninth graders in the country. Saw some highlights of him on YouTube and the kid is really good. Since we’ve offered the Estrella kid from Portland I’m guessing we must know about Flagg. The article I read said Howard at Michigan has reached out and McCaffrey at Iowa has done a zoom with him already. While the kid is in 9th grade. I think that’s the kind of commitment it takes to land these kids. Staying in touch. Going to see them play AAU or even making a trip to see them play in high school. Remember the buzz when coach K came to see Paulus when he was still at CBA? Not saying JB doesn’t/won’t make that effort, just saying that’s what it takes.

Last edited:
The head coach has told us this is the roster he's rolling with, unless he has no clue?
The no clue is about how good next years roster will be, not who the roster will be.

Did you not read his post? He clearly articulated how JB was willing to do the work, that doesn’t mean he will get the results. This is a two way street and a player has to WANT to come here. Coaches can’t just tell kids they’re coming here, I know it’s hard to believe but they have free will.
So you think Zion Cruz really wanted to go to DePaul; a team who hasn’t won in 50 years? Recruits now go to the highest NIL bidder. Thats why JB needs to follow Roy and K’s lead and retire.

So you think Zion Cruz really wanted to go to DePaul; a team who hasn’t won in 50 years? Recruits now go to the highest NIL bidder. Thats why JB needs to follow Roy and K’s lead and retire.
That’s nothing JB can control? He can’t pay the players an NIL deal, and I doubt anyone has called and had JB tell them “no they can’t get that NIL deal.”

Clueless

Yeah recruits picking schools for financial reasons just started with NIL

Schools nor coaches are the NIL bidders.

Isn’t JB the guy who famously interrupted Rick Pitino’s honeymoon to recruit him to join our staff?

Anyone think he’s been doing stuff like that over the past few years?

Our best recruiter left a few years ago and we never adequately replaced him.

My concern is if our assistant coaches are good talent evaluators. They usually bring the names to JB based on what they’ve seen. We have missed on a lot of players the past several years. The very best are obvious, but our point guard and combo guard recruits have left a lot to be desired.

We lost a top 50 player who grew up 10 miles from the Carrier Dome to Notre Dame when his family wanted him to come here.

We have lost multiple kids from Rochester and multiple kids from Albany. We lost Symir originally. We are getting cooked in our own backyard.
Sure you can, I don't know if they changed it that they are locked in for 4 years but even if they are, it can still be done

Theres plenty of ways its done, told to transfer and help them find a landing spot, in football its often a medical DQ that takes them off the 85 but they still get a scholarship for academic purposes, theres the old violation of team rules and poof they gone.

Plenty of coaches do it, look at how Lincoln Riley at USC football will turn over half the roster 1 in off season
You can’t cut a scholarship player. You said cut. Words matter.

2014–15Jim Boeheim18-139–98th
2015–16Jim Boeheim19–129–99th
2016–17Jim Boeheim18-1310–8T-7th
2017–18Jim Boeheim19-128–10T-10th
2018–19Jim Boeheim19-1210–86th
2019–20Jim Boeheim17–1410–10T-6th
2020–21Jim Boeheim15-89–78th
2021-22Jim Boeheim15-139-8T-7th
Total140-9774-69

These are our regular season results over the past 8 seasons.

If this is acceptable to you as a fully invested SU fan, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

If it is not acceptable to you as a fully invested SU fan, then who is to blame for the deterioration of the results?

If the answer is not the head coach, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

If the answer is the head coach, then the answer to the question: "Is he willing or able to assemble a winning roster anymore?" is a simple one.

He isn't.

Good post. He had a few tournament runs and got to coach his kids on the way out. Now is the time.

Any new hire worth their mustard will get the team into the tournament next year. If we bomb the hire they are out in 2 years and we try again.

he either purposely or by crazy chance assembled a SU team to feature his two sons.
buddy and junior take the majority of the shots. they play the most minutes.
go figure whatever. he has constructed a team to showcase his progeny.
and he's cool with that win or lose. family first. dare you to fire me.

My concern is if our assistant coaches are good talent evaluators. They usually bring the names to JB based on what they’ve seen. We have missed on a lot of players the past several years. The very best are obvious, but our point guard and combo guard recruits have left a lot to be desired.

They clearly aren't.

Nor are they good teachers of the game.

Which is why neither of them are qualified to take over as JB's successor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom