Is Red our next HC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Is Red our next HC

Well nothing in here about not being a real fan or to go root for Colgate. So progress I guess.

If you think the Head Coach is incompetent or even frequently wrong.
If you think the Head Coach is a bad person (Rude to the Press)
If you think the Head Coach is lazy or too old to care.
If you think the SU defensive and offensive strategies are wrong-headed
If you think our recruiting efforts are weak
If you think our player development is sub-standard.

I' m curious as to what it is you actually do like.

I guess some people have a need to just complain about things. Or to set themselves up as experts.

I like everything about the SU basketball program. Boeheim, the Zone, the players, the AC's and Otto (Who I have warmed to over the years after thinking it was the stupidest mascot ever).

No prep? How so? If that is the case how would he have been prepared for 2019?
As a head coach from day 1, you get to install an offense you want the team to run, and a defense. Hop was pretty much settled with a zone defense since JB doesn't practice m2m. Lets see if Hop has Wash playing even some m2m. JB's offense is predicated on pick and rolls, dribble drives off of ball screens. Hop may have installed more of a motion/passing offense or another, maybe more fast breaks/push the ball. You can't install these without a lot of practice and the 4 or 5 days Hop had "complete control" was not enough to say that 4-5 record is indicative of his ability.

I like everything about the SU basketball program. Boeheim, the Zone, the players, the AC's and Otto (Who I have warmed to over the years after thinking it was the stupidest mascot ever).
I've always suspected you had a tender side.
2017-04-12 15.20.04.jpg

I've always suspected you had a tender side.
View attachment 95043

Not so fast! I've only achieved a neutral position on Otto.

But I also agree that the other attempts at a mascot --- like the Roman Legionnaire --- were even worse. The Dome Ranger was more like a curiosity than a Mascot.

The Saltine Warrior will always be the mascot in my mind. It offended none of the Onondaga, but half the kids from Long Island, so it had to go.

But I also agree that the other attempts at a mascot --- like the Roman Legionnaire --- were even worse. The Dome Ranger was more like a curiosity than a Mascot.

The Saltine Warrior will always be the mascot in my mind. It offended none of the Onondaga, but half the kids from Long Island, so it had to go.
Not true.

Demise of the Saltine Warrior

History of the Saltine Warrior |

Long Island had nothing to do with it.

I guess some people have a need to just complain about things. Or to set themselves up as experts.

I guess so.

Nothing like an impartial expert with no agenda to set the record straight.

I guess so.

Nothing like an impartial expert with no agenda to set the record straight.

1978 was a while ago. It was the birth of Political Correctness and the usual suspects for that.

Some of the worst logic ever used on this or any other forum:

ok townie let's say we're prizefighters . you've lost 10 straight coming into our match and knock me out in the 3rd round. must be a fluke so i schedule a rematch and you knock me out in the 1st round this time. (that's what happened in our embarrassing losses) . even if you lose your next ten fights i am in no position whatsoever to say that you can't box. you kicked my ass twice. get it yet ? try to keep up.

ok townie let's say we're prizefighters . you've lost 10 straight coming into our match and knock me out in the 3rd round. must be a fluke so i schedule a rematch and you knock me out in the 1st round this time. (that's what happened in our embarrassing losses) . even if you lose your next ten fights i am in no position whatsoever to say that you can't box. you kicked my ass twice. get it yet ? try to keep up.

Your gimmick on here is just God awful these days. Bastion Booger status.

All that was said was Hop realized the fanbase wasn't going to patient. I still remember Kaiser's jokes about the teams performance. The board had a lot of knifes for his performance in his 9 game stint. That didn't drive him out.
Hop got a lot of money and a great opportunity.

He just didn't realize that after all the time he spent here the fanbase wasn't going to patient with him and he saw the likely makeup of his Syracuse roster. Hop thought he had more sweat equity than he actually had with a portion of the fanbase.
Why walk into a fire with a group not patient when he can do this thing in WashIngton.

The fact people want specific evidence or want to debate this is funny.
Hop was smart.
If true that is naive on Hop's part. This is big business, and the only game in town, and filling in for a legend. That seat is going to be warm from the minute you sit in it. Interim, appointed or hired - the tag doesn't change the expectations.

Well no one here is a player or coach on the team so yeah but sweet logic.

St John's sucks. We lost to them X2 in embarrassing fashion. Both of those statements are facts.

Lol thanks for telling me what I am. This is the problem with debate people can't take opinions they disagree with and instead change reality/facts when they disagree.

I am not anti Mike Hopkins. My god go back to your takes that the PAC-12 sucks and ignore Oregon going to the Final Four.
What a joke. Posts like this are why politics today and debate are dead.
No substance and just lack any reason to debate.

Newsflash having a debate on a guy as a HC doesn't make somebody anti. It's called having an opinion.
Just like ignorantly thinking one conference is trash because somebody doesn't take the time to watch it and given evidence to the contrary and Doubling down on ignorant opinions.

Oh. I just thought your posts seemed anti Hop. The PAC 12 sucked dude. Oregon making the FF changes nothing. They had 3 good teams, like I said. Beating up on weak teams.

Ucla and Oregon are back to mediocrity like now.

Personally I think he is better at developing players. Rarely is his recruiting better than Syracuse's in terms of the rankings. But they are dominant almost every season. He isn't putting as many first round draft picks and such into the league as Syracuse is but our guys are bolting the first chance they get. Staying in 100% zone must play into this, imo. Scouts and agents are in these kids' ears who are considering declaring for the draft constantly throwing in the Syracuse 100% zone/NBA translation issue. I think our guys who always leave after a year consider this and don't want to stay in this system. It's part of the reasons I'm convinced.

The development of Louisville guys going into their soph or second year in the system is pretty staggering. Rozier, Onuaku, Donovan Mitchell, Mahmoud, Montresz Harrell, Deng Adel, etc. All guys you have to guard and pay attention to. Good fundamentals too. Those two grad transfers blended in seamlessly two years ago when they banned themselves and were looking like a dominant team.

How many Louisville kids in the NBA? Onuaku is a d league kid, right? Rozier? Harrell? Dieng? What happened to the 3 McDonalds AA's from the 2013 title team. Behananan, blackshear and siva? None made the NBA. Where's Russ Smith?

How many Louisville kids in the NBA? Onuaku is a d league kid, right? Rozier? Harrell? Dieng? What happened to the 3 McDonalds AA's from the 2013 title team. Behananan, blackshear and siva? None made the NBA. Where's Russ Smith?

Ah, welcome back. So what? You prove my point. They develop players to the point where they can win a title and be pretty dominant every season. Same with Villanova. Guys are sure lining up in droves wanting to come to Syracuse with all these openings, the 'pipeline' to the NBA, the Dome, etc.

Here's what's going to happen:

within a couple of years, Red is going to get offered a gig and JB is going to encourage him to take it. GMac will then slide over to first chair. A couple years after that, when the cupboard is fully stocked, JB will retire just prior to the start of a new season, leaving the AD with no choice but to elevate GMac. If he has a winning season, they'll drop the interim tag and give him a 5 year deal.

embrace the suck

within a couple of years, Red is going to get offered a gig and JB is going to encourage him to take it. GMac will then slide over to first chair. A couple years after that, when the cupboard is fully stocked, JB will retire just prior to the start of a new season, leaving the AD with no choice but to elevate GMac. If he has a winning season, they'll drop the interim tag and give him a 5 year deal.

embrace the suck
Gmac will not be the next head coach of Syracuse

embrace the suck
I can't believe JB is here another 4-5 years. He's going to want to watch kids etc. unless buddy is here...

I can't believe JB is here another 4-5 years. He's going to want to watch kids etc. unless buddy is here...

it won't be that long . . . could be as soon as 30 months:
Finagle a mid major gig for Red at the end of 17-18,GMac is top assistant for 18-19. Return a solid core with a good recruiting class heading into 19-20 & JB can announce retirement at MM 2019, leaving Gerry as the only option.​

although I think MM 2020 is more likely. that'd be 3 more seasons, bagging it heading into #4

however it works out, Gerry is the one JB wants to hand off to & he'll do his best to make it happen

it won't be that long . . . could be as soon as 30 months:
Finagle a mid major gig for Red at the end of 17-18,GMac is top assistant for 18-19. Return a solid core with a good recruiting class heading into 19-20 & JB can announce retirement at MM 2019, leaving Gerry as the only option.​

although I think MM 2020 is more likely. that'd be 3 more seasons, bagging it heading into #4

however it works out, Gerry is the one JB wants to hand off to & he'll do his best to make it happen
First lets see if Gerry can land a recruit. Second lets see if Gerry can coach up Frank Howard. Personally i hope that he lands a head coaching deal soon as i doubt our next coach retains him unless its Red

Ah, welcome back. So what? You prove my point. They develop players to the point where they can win a title and be pretty dominant every season. Same with Villanova. Guys are sure lining up in droves wanting to come to Syracuse with all these openings, the 'pipeline' to the NBA, the Dome, etc.

But they aren't developing players. Hence the lack of former players in the NBA. Syracuse puts more players in the NBA, right? That 2013 title team had 3 McDonald's All Americans in their starting lineup and none made the NBA. They brought in a 5th year transfer and he was a key part of that title team. They didn't develop him, right? And I wouldn't call Louisville dominant at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom