Is this real?? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Is this real??

This is exactly where I end up: my impression is that Harrison was essentially expressing, "F*** that m*****f*****, he just hung 20 and 11 on us and we couldn't do s*** to stop him." I've felt the same way after heated games, and you walk away thinking, "That b**** there is NO WAY we're letting him go off like that next time! *&**# %&&&*&*!!!"
Dang MCC, goin hard in the paint.

Reactions: MCC
KCJax03 said:
What's wrong is the intolerance of the media then or those who would punch someone in the face over the use of a word. Words do not make someone a racist, the intent behind it and most importantly actions do. Without direct knowledge of either, nobody has just cause to destroy someone through the use of media or through bodily harm.

What is even more absurd is the notion that partitioning the use of words by skin color does anything other then drive wedges between the races.

Perhaps Riley Cooper used the words he did not because he is a racist but because his closest friends on the team are black and they use a word like n****a interchangeably with words like Mutha****. To them just another salty word to use when you are expressing yourself in anger.

Of course if a black teammate had said I want to fight every n****" at that concert that is ok because somehow the color of the skin wrapped around the mouth that utters it determines whether or not someone is a racist.

Years ago I went to see the Chili Peppers in concert in Charlotte. Snoop Dog opened for them and I was subjected to flurry of racist rants with n****a used just about every other word. Why should I, and every other person in that audience be subjected to a word that is supposedly so bad that it justifies public humiliation, loss of employment and physical harm?

Why of course because the fella saying it is a black man, who can not only say it in private to other black folks but use it as a blunt instrument to openly assault white people and remind them that a very long time ago black people were slaves in this country.

At some point the black community is going to have to either discontinue using it or give up exclusivity to it.

I'm certainly not perfect. Over the last year I've been trying to eliminate misogynistic words like b**** and p**** from my vocabulary. It isn't easy. I stopped saying "re****" in high school when I became aware of how that can affect people. I stopped calling women "sluts" when a friend's mom rightfully dressed me down for it in middle school. I do my best to not use slurs based on genetics and stick to variations of "f***" when I need to curse. Remarkably, my life isn't worse since I stopped calling people "b******."

He made a bad decision to say that with a microphone in front of him but I'm sure Lebron James and Kobe Bryant have said things like that about opponents. Would that affect your decision to have them on your team? It's common in sports.

He's a sore loser but a lot of people are. They just do it without hot mics in front of them.

Indeed...

He made a bad decision to say that with a microphone in front of him but I'm sure Lebron James and Kobe Bryant have said things like that about opponents. Would that affect your decision to have them on your team? It's common in sports.

He's a sore loser but a lot of people are. They just do it without hot mics in front of them.
You are making assumptions about things you cannot know. And it is about lack of control, discipline, and class. It would affect how I feel about any player under those circumstances. No class, no self control, no discipline, no character...

I'm certainly not perfect. Over the last year I've been trying to eliminate misogynistic words like b**** and p**** from my vocabulary. It isn't easy. I stopped saying "re****" in high school when I became aware of how that can affect people. I stopped calling women "sluts" when a friend's mom rightfully dressed me down for it in middle school. I do my best to not use slurs based on genetics and stick to variations of "f***" when I need to curse. Remarkably, my life isn't worse since I stopped calling people "b******."

I can respect all of that. This was a learning process, we all go through that. I have a problem with over the top punitive punishments for younger people who have made mistakes. There are people in this world who are truly racist, but I believe we apply that term to many that aren't.

Overall I see society moving in the right direction and with each passing generation we become much more tolerant and accepting. What I see as a part of this is kids of very different backgrounds forming friendships and emulating one another, which should be a good thing. But I suppose a side effect of that is that words and behaviors will be shared as well - both good and bad.

As someone has stated in an earlier post, context becomes everything. Looking purely at the color of someone's skin as a determination of intent is not the correct approach and one should not be punished more severely because of it.

Really didn't like Harrison before he said this, and now dislike him even more. What a sore losing, scumbag. Learn how to handle yourself with a little class. At least act like it

Replace it with "kid", "guy", "dude". That's what he meant.

So yeah, Harrison said and meant " guy", and covered his mouth as he said it. Complete punk move.

But I'm 100% sure there was no racism meant by his choice of words. That's how kids talk now.

This.

come on folks, he apologized on twitter. now we just pretend it never happened. nothing to see here. Cal's boys are the very essence of character selflessness.

Context is everything. In this context, Harrison was clearly using the word n---a similar to the word "a-hole" or "douchebag." Clearly juvenile and moronic, but not anywhere in the stratosphere of a white person calling a black person a n---er.

Ni--a and n---er are not the same word.

Saw a fistfight at of all places a U2 tailgate in Baltimore - Asian guy and Hispanic guy dropped that word on each other about 20 times. Ending in an A or R, I mean maybe in literary fiction but not on the street.

That word changed a bunch from my youth. Still ugly but spread around, weird I know.

Unbelievable. Don't leave out the in-game open palm.

ccleunvgjeqdp92knvfs.gif
How is this NOT a flagrant 1 foul? IMO this fired up the Wisky team.

I guarantee Kaminsky didn't give it a second thought. Might have even laughed at it.

I guarantee Kaminsky didn't give it a second thought. Might have even laughed at it.

His proper response should be "Harrison doesn't play for Duke so I wasn't paying attention."

Between not shacking hands and the press conference and calipari's dismissal of N.D. last week nothing will surprise me going forward and the players in question yesterday is just a by-product of Cal's coaching morals or lack of respect to any program they face.

As for the refs not calling a flagrant foul late in the game they were fearing for their life's if that call could have determined the out come of the game if questioned by the big blue nation.

it was so much easier to walk away than become playing the part of spoilers.

Yes. The worst injustice in the world is that white people might face consequences for saying "n****." Seriously, if you're so desperate to say it, just go and say it. You have an absolute right to say it. So say it.

I don't think anyone is saying it is the worst injustice in the world.

I am wondering why the losing team's players need to be there for a press conference anyway. I look at other college sports and realize that the NCAA has created an atmosphere for this to happen. The FCC should fine the NCAA for this to be allowed. They (NCAA) sit fat and happy watching the revenue pour in while taking advantage of college kid's emotions and skills.

Huh?

I wonder whether Kaminsky is offended by this.
See this is the double secret probation part of it. Doesn't every white player want to prove to the other (mostly black) players that he "fits" in. I mean they made an entire movie about it, or maybe two movies if you count Robbie Benson's movie. Kaminsky probably took it as a complement that he got under the UK player's skin so much. Kind of like Gordie Haywood. No one thinks he should be as good as he is because he is just a dumb hick from Indiana.

See this is the double secret probation part of it. Doesn't every white player want to prove to the other (mostly black) players that he "fits" in. I mean they made an entire movie about it, or maybe two movies if you count Robbie Benson's movie. Kaminsky probably took it as a complement that he got under the UK player's skin so much. Kind of like Gordie Haywood. No one thinks he should be as good as he is because he is just a dumb hick from Indiana.

Yep, Larry Bird said he was offended if a white guy guarded him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1818396

(PS: How depressing, in 2004 for Melo and Lebron were pushed as the next Bird and Magic. Still think Melo isn't as overrated as people make him out to be, but...yeeeeeah)

Yes. The worst injustice in the world is that white people might face consequences for saying "n****." Seriously, if you're so desperate to say it, just go and say it. You have an absolute right to say it. So say it.

I see what you did there.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom