Is this real?? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is this real??

Eh. The lack of handshakes and then the remark at the press conferences in front if probably the biggest crowd of reporters they've ever seen to me shows a lack if character, lack of maturity and lack of respect for the game, the tournament and quite frankly your elders. But it didn't have racist intent.

It meant to degrade Kaminsky's ability as a player...not his race. People who don't get this have lost touch with the current generation. No biggie it happens to lots of people.

Society changed, no longer using once acceptable phrases are hard to break habits. So are social mores of what is once forbidden, but now seem acceptable in some circumstances.

Now if he had said " cracker"...then we've got a whole different situation.

The kid is a dick, not a racist.

Eh. The lack of handshakes and then the remark at the press conferences in front if probably the biggest crowd of reporters they've ever seen to me shows a lack if character, lack of maturity and lack of respect for the game, the tournament and quite frankly your elders.

But it didn't have racist intent. It meant to degrade Kaminsky's ability as a player...not his race. People who don't get this have lost touch with the current generation. No biggie it happens to lots of people. Anyone have a grandparent who used the term "colored" until they day they died? Society changed, no longer using once acceptable phrases are hard to break habits. So are social mores of what is once forbidden, but now seem acceptable in some circumstances.

Now if he had said " cracker"...then we've got a whole different situation.

The kid is a dick, not a racist.
Exactly

KCJax03 said:
How about a young white person who chooses to date / hang out with black people who use it in everyday speech no different then the host of other superlatives many in the younger generation use to sound hip and cool. What if this person uses this word around others outside their normal circle of friends who have not bestowed upon them the license for use.

Should they be skewered in the court of public opinion, treated as a pariah, sent to be sacrificed for the greater good. The very utterance of the word making them on par with a card carrying member of the klan.

Such Ivory Tower sentiments such as "well I never said that word in my entire life and no white person ever should" does not encompass reality.

Fact is, white people and black people socialize with one another. When black people use this word, one which is supposedly so toxic to them, in such a prevalent and casual manner they simply cannot justify destroying every white person that gets caught publically uttering it.

If it is such a horrible word - nobody should use it, black folks included.

If you so desperately want to say it, just say it. No one is stopping you.

Perhaps you can be like those SAE boys at Oklahoma and sing a nice little ditty about hanging blacks from a tree. I mean it's just a word.

I feel bad for what happened to the SU soccer player. SU could have handled that by showing that you shouldn't have your life ruined over one drunken mistake. I realize that parents today stereotypically think their children are special snowflakes and should be immune from consequence. But it isn't an overly politically correct society that did her in. It was her actions. She chose to use that language or her parents didn't teach her not to.

You know what I love about this? The word is losing its meaning...its losing its "power to hurt" and that's a really really good thing.
yeah, go out and use it and see if it has lost any of it's power to hurt. If it is on tape, it will become who you are.

The kid, yes kid, said something that is clearly wrong, but remember he is a kid. In time, God willing he will gain insight as to what is important in this life. Andrew Harrison is not the first person to make a foolish remark, and he won't be the last. I think he gets a pass on this and time will tell what is really in his heart.

In the pre PC world it would have just been viewed as "Sour Grapes"....

Perhaps you can be like those SAE boys at Oklahoma and sing a nice little ditty about hanging blacks from a tree. I mean it's just a word.

I feel bad for what happened to the SU soccer player. SU could have handled that by showing that you shouldn't have your life ruined over one drunken mistake. I realize that parents today stereotypically think their children are special snowflakes and should be immune from consequence. But it isn't an overly politically correct society that did her in. It was her actions. She chose to use that language or her parents didn't teach her not to.
B.S. She comes from a family that doesn't see skin color. That was her problem (along with booze on that night). She dates a black man and uses the same language that he and his friends ( all of our football team, let the suspensions begin) use. everyone also forgets she used a homophobic slur. Her friends that aren't black are gay. No kidding. I didn't see the spirited defense for her on this board that I do see for a kid that was cold sober.

Context is everything. In this context, Harrison was clearly using the word n---a similar to the word "a-hole" or "douchebag." Clearly juvenile and moronic, but not anywhere in the stratosphere of a white person calling a black person a n---er.

Ni--a and n---er are not the same word.

Context is everything. In this context, Harrison was clearly using the word n---a similar to the word "a-hole" or "douchebag." Clearly juvenile and moronic, what not anywhere in the stratosphere of a white person calling a black person a n---er.

Ni--a and n---er are not the same word.
Eric, I like and respect your posts but if one race can't use a word, neither can the other.

dasher said:
B.S. She comes from a family that doesn't see skin color. That was her problem (along with booze on that night). She dates a black man and uses the same language that he and his friends ( all of our football team, let the suspensions begin) use. everyone also forgets she used a homophobic slur. Her friends that aren't black are gay. No kidding. I didn't see the spirited defense for her on this board that I do see for a kid that was cold sober.

And that's why I said I wish SU handled it better. But it was her actions and no one else's.

Racism? No way. Disrespect, lack of discipline and a turd stain on the white knight image calipari has been able to make his players (falsely) out to be? Absolutely. It is good and all he called him but not shaking hands and then that says far more than trying to correct the mistake to save face. In this world where car rides, free happy meals and errors already punished go through double jeopardy in the form of reduced scholarships, I see no reason this shouldn't put a microscope on UK. Not because I believe it is the way it should be but because in the name of fair play.

Eric, I like and respect your posts but if one race can't use a word, neither can the other.

Dasher, the reason n---a exists is to nullify the effect of n---er. It's the same reason why young women use the word "bitches" and gay people embrace the word "queer." It's a defense mechanism.

Dasher, the reason n---a exists is to nullify the effect of n---er. It's the same reason why young women use the word "bitches" and gay people embrace the word "queer." It's a defense mechanism.
explaining something doesn't justify it. The word should never be used by anyone. I have no desire to use the word. It is a hateful word. If someone uses it, it opens the door for others to use it.

As inappropriate as it was to say in the first place, saying it under your breath while covering your mouth makes it worse. Poor sport and a coward. If that's the sentiment he feels and he wants to say that, then put some bass in your voice and say it. No? Not a good idea? Then Shutup. What a punk move in all aspects.

"That thing in front of you, son, is a microphone."

Of course in a world where your index finger is for the "Send" button...

I can't get wrapped up in all of this racist/non-racist crap. I know what was in his heart and that was to find some way to disparage the opponent that just beat him. I just see it as classless, cowardly, and a flaw in his character/sportsmanship. Would it impact where I would draft him him or toward a decision to have him on my team? You bet.

Wrong. I'm well aware that white kids and other races as well who don't know any better think they can say it. I already talked about it earlier in the thread.

They're wrong, and risking a punch in the face(or being crushed in the media) depending on who hears them.

What's wrong is the intolerance of the media then or those who would punch someone in the face over the use of a word. Words do not make someone a racist, the intent behind it and most importantly actions do. Without direct knowledge of either, nobody has just cause to destroy someone through the use of media or through bodily harm.

What is even more absurd is the notion that partitioning the use of words by skin color does anything other then drive wedges between the races.

Perhaps Riley Cooper used the words he did not because he is a racist but because his closest friends on the team are black and they use a word like n****a interchangeably with words like Mutha****. To them just another salty word to use when you are expressing yourself in anger.

Of course if a black teammate had said I want to fight every n****" at that concert that is ok because somehow the color of the skin wrapped around the mouth that utters it determines whether or not someone is a racist.

Years ago I went to see the Chili Peppers in concert in Charlotte. Snoop Dog opened for them and I was subjected to flurry of racist rants with n****a used just about every other word. Why should I, and every other person in that audience be subjected to a word that is supposedly so bad that it justifies public humiliation, loss of employment and physical harm?

Why of course because the fella saying it is a black man, who can not only say it in private to other black folks but use it as a blunt instrument to openly assault white people and remind them that a very long time ago black people were slaves in this country.

At some point the black community is going to have to either discontinue using it or give up exclusivity to it.

KCJax03 said:
What's wrong is the intolerance of the media then or those who would punch someone in the face over the use of a word. Words do not make someone a racist, the intent behind it and most importantly actions do. Without direct knowledge of either, nobody has just cause to destroy someone through the use of media or through bodily harm.

What is even more absurd is the notion that partitioning the use of words by skin color does anything other then drive wedges between the races.

Perhaps Riley Cooper used the words he did not because he is a racist but because his closest friends on the team are black and they use a word like n****a interchangeably with words like Mutha****. To them just another salty word to use when you are expressing yourself in anger.

Of course if a black teammate had said I want to fight every n****" at that concert that is ok because somehow the color of the skin wrapped around the mouth that utters it determines whether or not someone is a racist.

Years ago I went to see the Chili Peppers in concert in Charlotte. Snoop Dog opened for them and I was subjected to flurry of racist rants with n****a used just about every other word. Why should I, and every other person in that audience be subjected to a word that is supposedly so bad that it justifies public humiliation, loss of employment and physical harm?

Why of course because the fella saying it is a black man, who can not only say it in private to other black folks but use it as a blunt instrument to openly assault white people and remind them that a very long time ago black people were slaves in this country.

At some point the black community is going to have to either discontinue using it or give up exclusivity to it.

Yes. The worst injustice in the world is that white people might face consequences for saying "n****." Seriously, if you're so desperate to say it, just go and say it. You have an absolute right to say it. So say it.

I don't disagree with you. I actually agree with you almost entirely. But I think it's misguided to say that the use or racism involved just goes back to slavery. Lets not forget the 1960s. Honestly, living in Texas, I STILL hear white people using it in a derogatory manner in casual settings, and it's shocking every time. But main point is that it's not trying to remind people of slavery as suggested here, because its use as a blunt instrument by white people certainly didn't end with the civil war.

But I'm just getting into semantics, I know. Overall I agree with the points you are making.

He bub, I do not use it and your response speaks volumes to those who think like you. It makes perfect sense that if you use a word you must have hate in your heart and be willing to kill people over it.

It couldn't possibly be that you said it not because you are a racist, but in fact the complete opposite. You could be a person who hangs out in a diverse crowd and has adopted their behaviors, words included.

At some point younger people become much more influenced by their friends then mom and dad.

Did you listen to everything your parents told you? Wow you must be a saint.

The soccer players actions should've met with some punishment, never said it shouldn't. But I cannot possibly see the logic in a system that does not hold all accountable to the same standard. Nobody should have license to use this word openly - nobody.

And in the way Harrison was using it, it's basically like saying "m*****f*****."
This is exactly where I end up: my impression is that Harrison was essentially expressing, "F*** that m*****f*****, he just hung 20 and 11 on us and we couldn't do s*** to stop him." I've felt the same way after heated games, and you walk away thinking, "That b**** there is NO WAY we're letting him go off like that next time! *&**# %&&&*&*!!!"

I can't get wrapped up in all of this racist/non-racist crap. I know what was in his heart and that was to find some way to disparage the opponent that just beat him. I just see it as classless, cowardly, and a flaw in his character/sportsmanship. Would it impact where I would draft him him or toward a decision to have him on my team? You bet.
He made a bad decision to say that with a microphone in front of him but I'm sure Lebron James and Kobe Bryant have said things like that about opponents. Would that affect your decision to have them on your team? It's common in sports.

He's a sore loser but a lot of people are. They just do it without hot mics in front of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom