Class of 2014 - Isaiah Whitehead | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Isaiah Whitehead

If Silent G returns...

Is Whitehead THAT talented to start at the 2 infront of him?

I find it hard to believe.

Yes. Whitehead might be more selfish than Dion was but he's also a player and can take it to the hoop as well as any college player i've seen... Let's see what Gbinije does as well, no one knows how he'll play yet.

If Silent G returns...

Is Whitehead THAT talented to start at the 2 infront of him?

I find it hard to believe.
Yeah thats where i just trust the staff. If hes not a significant upgrade on who we have, save scholly for '15. If we still go after him, that means the staff thinks he could be what makes a '14 title run happen. In which case hes one and done anyway and wont block a '15 recruit.

Sounds like if Whitehead came to SU, he'd be our next guy who never starts a game at SU and then goes in the lottery. You know JB rewards the veterans first. IW would no doubt get lots of PT but he probably would not start over G or possibly even Cooney in 14 or 15 (dependent on their development and his attitude and defensive commitment). I'm willing to bet he either a) just doesn't want to do that, or b) is concerned that JB doesn't always play the most talented player. On the other side of the coin, if the staff feels that IW would have a severe negative reaction to the above, they may be ratcheting back their pursuit (this is what I think Jake is referring to).

Sounds like if Whitehead came to SU, he'd be our next guy who never starts a game at SU and then goes in the lottery. You know JB rewards the veterans first. IW would no doubt get lots of PT but he probably would not start over G or possibly even Cooney in 14 or 15 (dependent on their development and his attitude and defensive commitment). I'm willing to bet he either a) just doesn't want to do that, or b) is concerned that JB doesn't always play the most talented player. On the other side of the coin, if the staff feels that IW would have a severe negative reaction to the above, they may be ratcheting back their pursuit (this is what I think Jake is referring to).
Most of the time, the veteran treatment is true but there have been exceptions - Fab, Rak, and DC2 come to mind. This was a relatively new development in the last 5 years, so things could be still open to change/expansion. It may be a negotiating process.

The delay/backoff may be for IW's benefit. He, like the rest of us, may not have enough information to base his decision on. He may want to scout out exactly what SU has at his spot. If I were him, I would want to know.

I sincerely doubt any promises were made to G. JB wouldn't poach K like that. I don't think JB would have much problem bringing in a superior talent if he feels that is what IW is. Especially the way this '14 squad is shaping up.

I just dont understand why we are so called "done" with this class already..I feel we could add one more important piece to the puzzle

Most of the time, the veteran treatment is true but there have been exceptions - Fab, Rak, and DC2 come to mind. This was a relatively new development in the last 5 years, so things could be still open to change/expansion. It may be a negotiating process.

The delay/backoff may be for IW's benefit. He, like the rest of us, may not have enough information to base his decision on. He may want to scout out exactly what SU has at his spot. If I were him, I would want to know.

I sincerely doubt any promises were made to G. JB wouldn't poach K like that. I don't think JB would have much problem bringing in a superior talent if he feels that is what IW is. Especially the way this '14 squad is shaping up.

I think this one is ALL on IW. The proof is in the lottery pudding and if MCW and Dion could wait, so can IW.
Unless he's the 2nd coming of a Melo and guarantees us a NC because of his talent, then he needs to man up & accept the 6th Man role as its evolved here at the Cuse. If not, we'll do fine w/out him.

I think this one is ALL on IW. The proof is in the lottery pudding and if MCW and Dion could wait, so can IW.
Unless he's the 2nd coming of a Melo and guarantees us a NC because of his talent, then he needs to man up & accept the 6th Man role as its evolved here at the Cuse. If not, we'll do fine w/out him.
If he is more talented why would he have to wait behind MG or Buss? They both originally had other schools offers and came over in a secondhand fashion. Those two would need to put their big boy pants on and realize they got beat out for an open position, deal with it however they feel fit. We're talking a potential NC here.

Were you crying when DC2 started over BMK? Was that deserved? What about Rak over South? Did that deliver an NC? If JB feels the need to negotiate a starting sg spot to get IW, I'm on board.

By all accounts IW is an offensive force, a great talent who can create shots and dominate an opponent, and a sure fire pro. I don't see why we wouldn't want him. The best players play period. Nobody is promised anything, the PT is earned. I think every guy on the team knows that. Some people are concerned about IW's supposed ego even though they've never met him. Since I've never talked to him, I'll trust in JB and staff to make the right decision.

We NEEDED Chris McCullough and we got him.

We NEEDED Kaleb Joseph and we got him.

I really don't feel as if we need IW. I feel as if Silent G will be much, much better than any of us think. After all we don't need him to be a star. We have Fair, Ennis and Grant...then CM, Grant, Beast, and most likely Ennis returning.

If Silent G can just give us 8 or so points a game, 4 or 5 boards *he has great length* and few turnovers... I really don't see the point in getting Whitehead. G gives us length in the zone that IW will never offer.

I think that they want to be certain they have enough scholarships to give to the guys they want in 2014. As talented as IW appears to be, there is no guarantee that he will be a one and done. Dion and Fab were gonna be one and dones.
I think we would all be pleased with a Diello, Bryant, Jones, SG of choice haul in 2014

If he is more talented why would he have to wait behind MG or Buss? They both originally had other schools offers and came over in a secondhand fashion. Those two would need to put their big boy pants on and realize they got beat out for an open position, deal with it however they feel fit. We're talking a potential NC here.

Were you crying when DC2 started over BMK? Was that deserved? What about Rak over South? Did that deliver an NC? If JB feels the need to negotiate a starting sg spot to get IW, I'm on board.
Thanks for making my point for me.
If he's THAT talented (a) He should be able to come in and start, & (b) JB wouldn't sit him just to preserve the 6th man role, IMO.
Its not on MG or Buss whether IW has to "wait", that's frankly up to the staff.
If IW trusts in his abilities then he comes here anyway- if he doesn't then he bitches and moans and goes and plays somewhere else.
The players can cry all they want- its on IW to "put HIS big boy pants on" and come take his spot...or and go elsewhere. Either way, its ON him, not Cuse to make that decision.
You're welcome.;)

I think that they want to be certain they have enough scholarships to give to the guys they want in 2014. As talented as IW appears to be, there is no guarantee that he will be a one and done. Dion and Fab were gonna be one and dones.
I think we would all be pleased with a Diello, Bryant, Jones, SG of choice haul in 2014
Ya mean 2015... we know what ya meant though. Time flies lol ;)

While reading the above posts it becomes abundantly clear that we have a plethora of players who could blow up this coming year and be big time D-1 stars. BJ, Beast, Silent G, Buss, and that's just the newbies, and then there's no telling what kind of kick-a$$ season Grant could potentially have. I'm also sensing that DC2 is going to be THAT GUY that we were all so excited about when he reached for that Orange hat. We are on the precipice of a season in which SO many good things could happen. It's just so flippin' awesome knowing what's potentially in store for us this upcoming season.

Justin Albers@Justin_Albers 1h
2014 G Isaiah Whitehead will visit Indiana, Minnesota and UCLA. Will visit IU first in early Sept. but no date yet. No Cuse visit. #iubb

If this guy is credible it sounds like JB and staff have told IW thanks but we got our guy and have moved on to 2015. That's fine.

Thanks for making my point for me.
If he's THAT talented (a) He should be able to come in and start, & (b) JB wouldn't sit him just to preserve the 6th man role, IMO.
Its not on MG or Buss whether IW has to "wait", that's frankly up to the staff.
If IW trusts in his abilities then he comes here anyway- if he doesn't then he bitches and moans and goes and plays somewhere else.
The players can cry all they want- its on IW to "put HIS big boy pants on" and come take his spot...or and go elsewhere. Either way, its ON him, not Cuse to make that decision.
You're welcome.;)

This just doesn't pass the eyeball test. Dion was not able to start here. He was the best player on the team in terms of talent in his time at Syracuse. So, no, IW can't guarantee that he's the superior talent and will thus start. I do think he would get lots of PT but starting may be extremely important to him. Being the undisputed guy might be extremely important to him. That doesn't make him a pansy or unworthy. He may not want to be in a situation like that even though it worked out for MCW and Dion. There is no doubt that situation was extremely difficult and frustrating for both of those players. Further, the staff may be concerned that IW doesn't have the maturity or demeanor to successfully deal with a situation where he is seeing limited minutes or coming off the bench. It is absurd to think these factors don't matter just as much as the kid's overall talent level.

Justin Albers@Justin_Albers 1h
2014 G Isaiah Whitehead will visit Indiana, Minnesota and UCLA. Will visit IU first in early Sept. but no date yet. No Cuse visit. #iubb

If this guy is credible it sounds like JB and staff have told IW thanks but we got our guy and have moved on to 2015. That's fine.
There goes his decision before school idea.

Maybe, but to kids like this "before this year" could mean basketball season which would be a Nov decision.
Nah, he said before concentrating on the school year, etc.
Can dig but too lazy. ;)
Wife recovering from small procedure. I cook and I clean and I slave over this house. :)

LOL, you might be right after all!
He says "I'll probably commit right before senior year"
http://zagsblog.com/video/whitehead-plans-fall-commitment/
but then mentions November to the post elsewhere.

I think I have at least one thing right.
3rlhx4.jpg

Ah, still a shame if he skips our visit. I hope we're still in with this guy, cause he can flat out score. Never a bad thing to have for an FF caliber team.

LOL, you might be right after all!
He says "I'll probably commit right before senior year"
http://zagsblog.com/video/whitehead-plans-fall-commitment/
but then mentions November to the post elsewhere.

I think I have at least one thing right.
3rlhx4.jpg

Ah, still a shame if he skips our visit. I hope we're still in with this guy, cause he can flat out score. Never a bad thing to have for an FF caliber team.
If we're really out I think it's JB and the staff's decision, not his. In which case I'm fine with it. They may believe they can get a commit from Jones and Bryant soon... leading to a Diallo/Diagne and Briscoe/Richardson combo in the spring.

If we're really out I think it's JB and the staff's decision, not his. In which case I'm fine with it. They may believe they can get a commit from Jones and Bryant soon... leading to a Diallo/Diagne and Briscoe/Richardson combo in the spring.
This is beautiful thinking. Just an early commit from either D. Jones or Bryant would pave the way.

This is beautiful thinking. Just an early commit from either D. Jones or Bryant would pave the way.
Plus... if I wanna be SUPER optimism guy lol... the staff has also seen MikeG and Cooney in practices and could be confident they can do the job at 2 as well or better than IW.

If only some insider on this board is told us that we were not going to get IW after Joseph committed. Where is this information when we need it? :mad:;)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

If only some insider on this board is told us that we were not going to get IW after Joseph committed. Where is this information when we need it? :mad:;)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
I guess we were all busy getting the "Welcome Goodluck" banners ready based on the same info lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom