It’s Portal time! | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

This might be some insight into just how many kids are actually unhappy with their schools/coaches, but it’s just showing up now that they can leave without penalty.
1% of high school kids make college...1% of ncaa players make NBA (random approx.)...when people close to the players -inclduing themselves, in many cases - assess where they are vs where NBA/pro players are etc...it's really hard to be objective about it.

How many kids would stop playing basketball tomorrow if you couldn't make money from it? I'd guess over 80%

They all wanna be pro and make the league and there are only a few spots every year and thousands of eligible players...you gotta STAND OUT to even have a chance...if you're not, dreams start fading fast and unhappiness sets in...it all makes sense.

1% of high school kids make college...1% of ncaa players make NBA (random approx.)...when people close to the players -inclduing themselves, in many cases - assess where they are vs where NBA/pro players are etc...it's really hard to be objective about it.

How many kids would stop playing basketball tomorrow if you couldn't make money from it? I'd guess over 80%

They all wanna be pro and make the league and there are only a few spots every year and thousands of eligible players...you gotta STAND OUT to even have a chance...if you're not, dreams start fading fast and unhappiness sets in...it all makes sense.
I dont agree at all. 99% of the guys i played with or play today dont play because they think they will a living doing it. They play because they love it.

Jim needs to understand that his words matter. Not just what he says at the end of the year but how he acts all year long. Hopefully he can keep the key players from leaving

I think this has been a consistent concern for the last several years. Mike used to play good cop and keep JB somewhat in check. JB's interactions with the media, if you compare the time he and Mike were Olympic coaches, and the comfortable vibe, with the last several years, and he's more ascerbic, harsher on his players - although some will say it's always been there.

But he's got to tone it down a bit, and be a bit sunnier in his disposition. He has it in him. We've seen it. He should be enjoying things a bit more, and be more positive and supporting. That's how you get player development these days, using very positive support.

These kids are used to being pampered and are not so used to being yelled at and put through the doghouse, like a lot of talented players have to go through here.

The media is with us again. Let's not squander this. Let's use this. Let's lift our profile from this. Let's try to get "back on track" - what we're used to around here.

I would say generally coaches say a lot worse to players throughout the season behind closed doors. All coaches are different, but they can't be nice all the time.

That's expected. That's always supposed to be "proper" sports culture - "I will be brutally honest with you all in this room, but I will defend you to the public, the press and the people outside this room. What we talk about in this room, stays in this room. We all treat each other with honesty and respect."|

That's expected. That's always supposed to be "proper" sports culture - "I will be brutally honest with you all in this room, but I will defend you to the public, the press and the people outside this room. What we talk about in this room, stays in this room. We all treat each other with honesty and respect."|
Other than Knight i cant think of any other coach who is as publicly critical of his players than JB. I have never understood it and dont care for it. Over the years it has worked for Jim or is it that he was able to get away with it because of a lack of social media, Hop, and stricter transfer rules. Todays kids are different. The only communicate through social media and they have more power and freedom than ever.
Its going to be an interesting off season.

honestly its itriuging and beings a certain excitement to the game but imo it kind if makes it difficult over 4 years with all these roster changes to have limited chemistry and cohevsivness on the team but its here so gotta make the best of it i guess.
I mean the womens just lost a very good player and are expecting more so thats a prime example

honestly its itriuging and beings a certain excitement to the game but imo it kind if makes it difficult over 4 years with all these roster changes to have limited chemistry and cohevsivness on the team but its here so gotta make the best of it i guess.
I mean the womens just lost a very good player and are expecting more so thats a prime example
Plus it makes it very hard for SU as the zone takes time to learn

I hope this is just a covid thing But after all this wears off that things will go back to normal and they will do something with this rule because I don't think it's good for college basketball
This isn't the nba and there is no way that this rule is gonna work in college basketball because there is no way to have any cohesiveness in 2 to 4 years when the team is constantly changing players. I think that this is definitely going to have a negative effect on So many different aspects of college basketball including viewing of it So another good job by the NCAA, thank you

I hope this is just a covid thing But after all this wears off that things will go back to normal and they will do something with this rule because I don't think it's good for college basketball
The worst of it is That these coaches recruit these players and spend so much time on them and after one year for potentially just transfer like it's nothing

Kid seems to be having the time of his life playing for his dad and at his dream school.Even if he could make a NBA roster do you think he would enjoy sitting on the bench all night watching the game?
It’s not like he needs to go make money so he can take care of his family.
Buddy might play in the NBA one day, but it won’t be after this season. He’ll graduate from SU first.

Yolanda Vega announces our line-up next season.

1616886660375.png

Other than Knight i cant think of any other coach who is as publicly critical of his players than JB. I have never understood it and dont care for it. Over the years it has worked for Jim or is it that he was able to get away with it because of a lack of social media, Hop, and stricter transfer rules. Todays kids are different. The only communicate through social media and they have more power and freedom than ever.
Its going to be an interesting off season.
This is the rule change players have wanted to see for years. This and getting paid.

Coaches can change schools without having to sit a year.

Now players will be able to change schools too.
I’d much rather the players get paid $$, but not be allowed to walk away without the penalty of a one-year sit-out. That’s more than a fair trade-off. If you commit, you commit.

I’m not too worried about Syracuse this off-season. I think the Kadary thing is overblown. Who wouldn’t want to play alongside an elite shooter like Buddy to pass the ball to and pile up assists? Kadary will be given the keys. His driving and passing ability will be the perfect complement to Buddy and Joe’s shooting, Benny’s inside/outside play, and Q, Edwards and maybe Marek on the inside. Our players should be a PG’s dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom