Jabari Parker to NBA | Syracusefan.com

Jabari Parker to NBA

shockedcat.jpg

I'll confess--I was worried that he might return, given how Duke flamed out in the first round. Parker on next year's team would make the blue devils LOADED.

They're still pretty loaded, but that levels things at least a little bit.

What a shocker. Who turns down being a top 3 pick? Cha-ching!

I'll confess--I was worried that he might return, given how Duke flamed out in the first round. Parker on next year's team would make the blue devils LOADED.

They're still pretty loaded, but that levels things at least a little bit.
Titles are never a lock, but having him back with their incoming class would have made Calipari envious.

He seemed to be genuinely considering a return, but I've thought that before about top prospects and they almost always declare. Probably the main reason I thought he might actually return was because after the "nightmarish" past ~2 months, I've almost conditioned myself to believe "anything 'bad' that can happen to SU bball will happen to SU bball." Haha.

I guess I have to shake off that mindset and get optimistic about next year.

He forgot to include the 3rd question:
Am I an idiot if I pass up a guaranteed $8 million?

Not surprised at all, in these situations the players declares 99.9% of the time. Would have bet my life he was going to declare.

Madbiker said:
What a shocker. Who turns down being a top 3 pick? Cha-ching!
maybe top 5...

For some reason, I tend to doubt that a large number of Duke fans are bitter at Jabari for leaving early even after a disappointing tournament, but, rather, understand the opportunity he has and wish him the best.

Well…

He was recruited with the expectation that he'd only be at Duke for one year.

He's got some objectively elite basketball skills.

He's, what, like 99.9% certain to be a top-three draft pick?

It sounds like you're comparing Duke's fanbase to another group, but there are some important distinctions to be made between Parker's situation and those of certain other early entrants.

Marcus Smart really is the outlier in terms of turning down being a top 5 pick, isn't he?

Rodney Hood is now going to the NBA as well. This had seemed clear all along but then the draft projections started showing Hood as a late first rounder. Parker is definitely making the smart move. Hood could be making a mistake. I hope he's not in the D league next season.

Last edited:
strumpfasaurus said:
Him and Blake Griffin are the only two examples I can think of.
Sullinger probably too

Him and Blake Griffin are the only two examples I can think of.

Was Griffin considered a top 5 pick before his sophomore year? I hadn't really heard of him until he exploded on the scene that year.

Edit: Just found a DraftExpress article about him that said he would have been a top 10 pick, potentially top 5. I wonder how I hadn't really heard much about him at that point lol.

I remembered Griffin as a top 5 kinda pick.
Was Sullinger considered a top 5 pick after his frosh year? My memory says no. But my memory is also very hungry.

I remembered Griffin as a top 5 kinda pick.
Was Sullinger considered a top 5 pick after his frosh year? My memory says no. But my memory is also very hungry.

Yeah I do recall him being a top 5 pick more so to the fact that that draft was incredibly weak than anything. He is a poster boy example of someone who killed their draft stock.

Well…

He was recruited with the expectation that he'd only be at Duke for one year.

He's got some objectively elite basketball skills.

He's, what, like 99.9% certain to be a top-three draft pick?

It sounds like you're comparing Duke's fanbase to another group, but there are some important distinctions to be made between Parker's situation and those of certain other early entrants.
The common thread that it is only the business of the player and his family. That's it.

So it seems as though Parker wasn't mulling his return as much as he was giving SI an exclusive story. No shock he left because his value is at its highest, but let's stop the charade about why he could wait and Ennis couldn't.

I don't doubt it was a tough decision for him...but his choice was predictable, and correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom