Jay Wright Retiring | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright Retiring

Gross. The SEC has become a cartel. Congress needs to intervene to set up some guardrails and regulations for the NIL space. The NCAA hoped that Congress would but there’s not been much movement so far. Maybe retired coaches like Jay, K, and Roy can help draw up and lobby for some smart legislation around NIL that’s not influenced by monied interests and bad actors.
lol the SEC "way" is farther out of the NCAA wheelhouse than unc fake classes

Gross. The SEC has become a cartel. Congress needs to intervene to set up some guardrails and regulations for the NIL space. The NCAA hoped that Congress would but there’s not been much movement so far. Maybe retired coaches like Jay, K, and Roy can help draw up and lobby for some smart legislation around NIL that’s not influenced by monied interests and bad actors.
Why? Monied interests and bad actors existed way before the NIL. Hoops Weiss was on Mad Dog today bemoaning how college hoops is now professional. NIL didn't cause that, greedy schools did dating back to Sonny Vaccaro lecturing PSUs pompous President about sneaker money. The people most responsible for creating the product are now getting paid and people who's living is impacted by it (Hoops Weiss, coaches, administrators, etc) or fandom impacted are upset. Tough darts for us.

Also the portal is destroying the will of a lot of the older guys to carry on
Well, unless they can’t be bothered with it. That’s one way to carry on.

Why? Monied interests and bad actors existed way before the NIL. Hoops Weiss was on Mad Dog today bemoaning how college hoops is now professional. NIL didn't cause that, greedy schools did dating back to Sonny Vaccaro lecturing PSUs pompous President about sneaker money. The people most responsible for creating the product are now getting paid and people who's living is impacted by it (Hoops Weiss, coaches, administrators, etc) or fandom impacted are upset. Tough darts for us.
Hasn’t this really been happening well before players hit college age? There have been “agents”, sneaker reps corrupting the high school, prep school, AAU game well before college for way over 20 years. It’s like trying to stop corruption in the middle in college well after the end ‘game’ ever began it’s cycle. Kids (parents, handlers etc) have been using an unofficial transport portal for athletes switching between different high schools, prep school, AAU, travel teams etc well before college. Many of these kids have been traveling to play out of state, living out of state to play ball far from home with some young players being on the radar before they even shave. Where is all the money coming from? It’s naive to believe colleges can control things that occur well before they are involved. They are guilty of getting involved, accepting, trying to also game a system that already exists, to their own advantage.

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." -- Faulkner

"The SEC is poop in basketball." -- Also Faulkner, probably.
I wish I could remember who coined the phrase might have been Maddog Russo. He said no one cares about bball down south. It's pretty much a distraction until spring football.

I wish I could remember who coined the phrase might have been Maddog Russo. He said no one cares about bball down south. It's pretty much a distraction until spring football.
I think I read articles saying that the SEC had decided to go big time with their basketball programs like they did with football. They want to own the sports Mecca rep in the USA with the faith that their increasing population demographic advantages, native sports climate plusses , tax friendly states gives them already a huge advantage to quickly become the real drivers in the college sports market nationally.

Huh. I think I would have remembered that. Gonna need to see receipts on that one. I call BS.
You forgot the recurring theme of march madness (and really college hoops in general) the last several years? We’ve even discussed on here how seeds are becoming less and less relevant. When all the top talent keeps leaving early what did you expect would happen?

Huh. I think I would have remembered that. Gonna need to see receipts on that one. I call BS.

89663327-BCF6-4754-8CFC-3C99B0C06398.jpeg

You forgot the recurring theme of march madness (and really college hoops in general) the last several years? We’ve even discussed on here how seeds are becoming less and less relevant. When all the top talent keeps leaving early what did you expect would happen?

How you getting from people complaining about parity to this? Yes there is parity. No we all haven't been saying too much.

At 60 it makes sense to me to retire or try something new but I would not extrapolate as to what someone else should do.

I think I read articles saying that the SEC had decided to go big time with their basketball programs like they did with football. They want to own the sports Mecca rep in the USA with the faith that their increasing population demographic advantages, native sports climate plusses , tax friendly states gives them already a huge advantage to quickly become the real drivers in the college sports market nationally.
They are following the bread and circuses play book handed down by the failing Roman Empire… distract the masses with food and violence and they won’t care if they are living in a feudal theocracy where only white, Christian males have rights. Worked well for the Romans.

That isn't logic. Unless you ran parallel timelines and know how the team would have fared under a different coach, ostensibly with different players.

I’ll take my chances with the evidence provided.

No one, not 1 person, would have been really happy had he retired in 2004/2005.

At 60 it makes sense to me to retire or try something new but I would not extrapolate as to what someone else should do.
What if your work was constantly evolving?

This is certainly a surprise, but more surprisingly is they were able to keep it quiet and not leaked it for so long.

After reading a few reports and interviews, it is clear that Jay Wright didn't just decided this week to retire. It's been known for some time. Someone posted his final presser where he referred to being there "...one last time", Neptune didn't just get a call on Monday and decided to take over immediately, they had everything lined up already.

Villanova athletic director Mark Jackson said in a release. “After meeting with several exceptional candidates, we found all those attributes and more in Kyle Neptune. Kyle quickly stood out for his basketball knowledge, recruiting savvy and natural ability to connect with student-athletes and coaches.”

So they spoke to multiple candidates who all kept quiet. Neptune had to inform Fordham about this and Fordham kept quiet.

That's a lot of people keeping their mouths shut!!!

NIL still needs guardrails and regulations that keep the playing field more level. Everyone wants the NCAA to create a system that makes sense for all, but they don’t have the courage or appetite to do it and are hoping Congress can create those guardrails. You can’t have unfair recruiting advantages become an inherent and sanctioned part of the system (as for bad actors who operate outside the system, that’s what the regulations and punishments are for). Even those that benefit from the current system, like Nick Saban, don’t support a Wild West NIL where anything goes.

This is certainly a surprise, but more surprisingly is they were able to keep it quiet and not leaked it for so long.

After reading a few reports and interviews, it is clear that Jay Wright didn't just decided this week to retire. It's been known for some time. Someone posted his final presser where he referred to being there "...one last time", Neptune didn't just get a call on Monday and decided to take over immediately, they had everything lined up already.

Villanova athletic director Mark Jackson said in a release. “After meeting with several exceptional candidates, we found all those attributes and more in Kyle Neptune. Kyle quickly stood out for his basketball knowledge, recruiting savvy and natural ability to connect with student-athletes and coaches.”

So they spoke to multiple candidates who all kept quiet. Neptune had to inform Fordham about this and Fordham kept quiet.

That's a lot of people keeping their mouths shut!!!
Mark Jackson once worked for SUAD...

NIL still needs guardrails and regulations that keep the playing field more level. Everyone wants the NCAA to create a system that makes sense for all, but they don’t have the courage or appetite to do it and are hoping Congress can create those guardrails. You can’t have unfair recruiting advantages become an inherent and sanctioned part of the system (as for bad actors who operate outside the system, that’s what the regulations and punishments are for). Even those that benefit from the current system, like Nick Saban, don’t support a Wild West NIL where anything goes.
I totally get that and understand your point. That said, I think Dabo and Saban are more concerned that their built in and tacitly sanctioned advantages will go away unless there is some check in place.

I totally get that and understand your point. That said, I think Dabo and Saban are more concerned that their built in and tacitly sanctioned advantages will go away unless there is some check in place.
Yeah, Saban has been building his shadow payment system for 15 years and he's not interested in letting other coaches get close to him by paying kids in the open.

ETA: if anything, NIL deals are showing people just how valuable recruits can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom