Jay Wright Retiring | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright Retiring

Well this is a topic I definitely did not expect to see today or anytime soon. Hats off to Jay enjoy retirement! See you in 40 years when I do the same.

I’ll always remember Wrights reaction to the 2016 title buzzer beater. It was like he was watching a free throw go in during an exhibition.

1650568639651.gif

Had a very good friend that was a producer for the YES Network and some other spots that got to know Jay pretty well.

Heard a lot about a lot of athletes and coaches (across all sports), but the stories about Jay were always positive, almost to a fault.

Hope he enjoys retirement.

This is why coaches are retiring…

Also probably a good choice that J Hart has made... Seems like being a D1 (especially P6) college coach is just a brand new ball game (pun INTENDED).

Had a very good friend that was a producer for the YES Network and some other spots that got to know Jay pretty well.

Heard a lot about a lot of athletes and coaches (across all sports), but the stories about Jay were always positive, almost to a fault.

Hope he enjoys retirement.
I was a student at Hofstra when he was there. Ran into him a few times he couldn't have been nicer. I told him I was a cuse fan he told me how much he admired jb. Big loss for college bball.

I was a student at Hofstra when he was there. Ran into him a few times he couldn't have been nicer. I told him I was a cuse fan he told me how much he admired jb. Big loss for college bball.
Even after you ran into him, he couldn't have been nicer? Imagine if you just walked up to him instead-He probably would have been even nicer.

thats fine... but i know we all agree we are WAY better with boeheim a year or 2 or heck even 3 too long - than had boeheim retired at 60.

LIKE COME ON PEOPLE! THINK LOGICALLY.

2009-2014 was actually an amazing stretch. 2016 final 4. 2018 sweet 16, 2021 sweet 16. couple of big east champs. etc...
That isn't logic. Unless you ran parallel timelines and know how the team would have fared under a different coach, ostensibly with different players.

From a player salary perspective, he's not wrong.
Starting to be coaches salary’s and facilities too. It’s been heading this direction for a bit and many many people had their “they don’t care about basketball” “football schools!” comments.

Not sure where college basketball is in 5-10 years, but I’m assuming it’s probably going to be similar to football in the arms races.

Starting to be coaches salary’s and facilities too. It’s been heading this direction for a bit and many many people had their “they don’t care about basketball” “football schools!” comments.

Not sure where college basketball is in 5-10 years, but I’m assuming it’s probably going to be similar to football in the arms races.

Yep. This. Parity is gonna take a major hit.

A health problem that coincided with the beginning of COVID forced me out of my old law firm, who put me on a medical sabbatical. After a couple months of recovery, all my former clients were calling me with their latest work, I went out on my own and never looked back.

It's been just about 2 years, and I've never been happier. I have no commute. I dress casually unless I have an occasional Zoom call with someone who doesn't know me, or if I have the once-in-a-while meeting outside the office, maybe 1 a month.

I almost never take lunch, and work through from 9 to about 2 or 3, and then I'm done for the day, probably 4 days a week. I might have one or two late nights where I work through until 6 or 7, but that's only when there's a deadline.

Meanwhile, my family now understands my work much better. They hear me talking to clients and helping them solve problems all day long, so it's no longer a matter of "I hope dad didn't have a bad day at work", to them knowing the work and the clients. They have a far greater appreciation of what I do, and my daughter, in particular, feels like she has really gotten to know me much better as a person - not just as her "dad" - from our afternoon drives, from cooking together, and watching shows we like together.

I am nearly finished with my first painting - of my wife, from a photo of her from several years ago, and it's looking pretty good. They didn't believe that I had any artistic talent in me, but there you go.

When I finish the painting, next up will be recording a few songs with my wife and daughter using GarageBand. I have already written a song called Middle Age Blues which has a pretty funny lyric, and we'll probably do a couple reasonably obscure covers to give both my wife and daughter their own song. The three of us have a nice sound together, so that will be fun.

I am a little over 60 now, and although I have my own business, plus a part-time job, plus I'm referred a lot of clients by SBDC, I have a ton more time to have fun. And I make a lot more money than I used to make, working for somebody else.
That’s awesome. As the owner of a small firm, I totally get where you’re coming from.

The past is irrelevant when you see the strides being made in that conference.

Nearly every school in that conference was already a professional franchise with an amateur tag for football. Now it's the same for hoops and more like officially a professional league with NIL.

This is why coaches are retiring…
Gross. The SEC has become a cartel. Congress needs to intervene to set up some guardrails and regulations for the NIL space. The NCAA hoped that Congress would but there’s not been much movement so far. Maybe retired coaches like Jay, K, and Roy can help draw up and lobby for some smart legislation around NIL that’s not influenced by monied interests and bad actors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom