Jay Wright Retiring | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright Retiring

If he goes to LA and wins a title is he in consideration for top 5 basketball coaches of all time?

Time line is interesting - obviously this has been in the works for a while. Replacement at the ready, etc. Wonder what they were telling recruits? Also wonder if the savings on salary can be used to start the group needed to fund NIL that fans are forming and JW touched on in the dot.com article.

He will be missed by the sport - not a fan when his strategy in the Scottie Reynolds years was to foul every trip forcing the refs to swallow their whistle, but his recent teams have played an outstanding style of skill and toughness.

Wow only 60
Tick tock boheim

what the hell is this? did you purposely misspell his name to further insult him?

I think everyone would unanimously agree that we are better off with Boeheim at 78 than had Boeheim retired at 60. We've had a decent 18 year stretch.

Quit this bullshit hatred of him. Anyone else too. FFS

i think another layer is that the best coaches were the ones that accumulated good rosters from year to year...thats how JB built his good teams and thats how a lot of coaches did it.

Now, its accumulating reputation that keeps you getting the one and dones...but different players year to year...

i guess it could be coincidence to see wright, k, roy williams all go out around the same time...

I think as Syracuse is concerned, JB is still trying to adjust his old tried and true formula to the current reality...might be partially why he's going for 3/4 star players (that might stay longer)...and didnt fill up his bench last season...and not going after 1 year rental players. its not a bad thought...aim a little lower on talent and get a group together for 3/4 years...it kinda worked for villanova and uva (although they still had good talent...just not quite good enough to leave early)...its a fine line and JB hasnt quite struck the perfect balance with it.

i think the mismatch between JBs formula of how hes always done it...the seismic shifts in the NCAABB and how those two dont align as they did before ...are where a lot of SU fans get frustrated...and why the program has gone through a dip lately...

For the coaches that have the model of building a team up over several seasons...its hard now. no matter how good they are or have been. Even though the Dukes, kentuckys Villanovas etc still have best access to talent...they cant necesarily build a team the way they used to...its a weird era.
Right and its hard to have continuity. Before this slump, we often lost guys to the NBA earlier than expected. At the same time for the guys who arent good enough to jump to the NBA it is hard to keep them for multiple seasons and not into the portal. So how do you do it? Well its hard to keep kids around who dont make the 7 man rotation. The coach has to be charismatic and build a deep bond with them and create an energy within the program and keep them engaged. Just things that from my outside perspective I doubt would be used to describe our program currently, unfortunately.
Even UVA since their 19 title has taken a step back and been hit by the portal. The concept of being a developmental program is really hard to come to fruition now.

Certainly the reason for him eliminated that chance but Wright seems very much the guy who doesn't need to be doted upon and worshipped for an entire year to make him feel good about his life decisions.
Plus... as we saw with the big K, it can be quite embarrassing when it's not a fairytale ending as planned but a horror show being taken out by your archenemy on 2 big stages at the end.
Just go quietly into the night.

what the hell is this? did you purposely misspell his name to further insult him?

I think everyone would unanimously agree that we are better off with Boeheim at 78 than had Boeheim retired at 60. We've had a decent 18 year stretch.

Hey take a look around. Its a young mans game now. You have to be able to adapt to a changing landscape. I perused Twitter last night and saw a lot of comments saying wow JW retired, and what is Boeheim doing? Thats now becoming our national perception whether we like it or not.

Not surprising, but definitely surprising - if that makes sense.

I don't think that's just NIL or just recruiting - otherwise, he could be happy in the NBA in some capacity (e.g. Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan). But I definitely think that the overall job of being a head coach has changed a lot over the last 3-6 seasons and you either adapt or call it a career.

And if you have the means to do so, retirement is not a bad option.

Right and its hard to have continuity. Before this slump, we often lost guys to the NBA earlier than expected. At the same time for the guys who arent good enough to jump to the NBA it is hard to keep them for multiple seasons and not into the portal. So how do you do it? Well its hard to keep kids around who dont make the 7 man rotation. The coach has to be charismatic and build a deep bond with them and create an energy within the program and keep them engaged. Just things that from my outside perspective I doubt would be used to describe our program currently, unfortunately.
Even UVA since their 19 title has taken a step back and been hit by the portal. The concept of being a developmental program is really hard to come to fruition now.
yeah - thats the "DilemaCuse" for JB now...

adapt his system to this reality or continue to struggle -

alternatively, I think it is possible to "thread the needle" so to speak and get the right mix of players that will stay multiple years and also be winners...but its harder than ever. the players that will stay probably arent helping with winning and the players that help with winning arent staying long...its really hard to switch mid stream once youve committted to a player for 4 years...youre locked in with what you get (which is why this upcoming season will be exciting for me)...buddy and joe are good but not quite title level backcourt, for example...so my take buddys freshman year was basically that the program was going to struggle a bit...and I was right.

For now, JB is a multi-year coach living in 1 year rental landscape...

and to his credit...you have seen good development in his players lately! swider, sy, jesse, hughes, buddy, (all the transfers that look worse at their new schools) all have gotten a lot better playing for SU...his environment is conducive to improvement and development...its just hard to actually benefit from that now ...

landing some burger boys would def help...talent is still king.

i think the statement he made about playing some man to man this year - if true - might be an indication that he knows that he needs to change.

Last edited:

There’s a difference between retiring early, retiring late, and retiring at the right time.

Wright and JB fit into two of those categories. I’ll let you decide how you want to categorize them.

If any non believers dont think that Hop is going to get the very first call when JB finally hangs it up, this should put the end to it with a program in WAY better shape and success than ours, hires a HC who has ties to the staff/program who went .500.
But hop may be retired by the time JB hangs it up. Ask Fiscarelli.

As many posters have said already, he's a great guy and will be missed. Part of me wonders if there is an undisclosed health issue, and certainly hope that isn't the case. If he goes out on his own terms, all power to him.

Stats have shown that people work retire early have a lower life expectancy. Then you get into the correlation vs. causation argument. This article seems balanced and has some theories on the subject. I pasted one paragraph that is most relevant

My personal opinion is boredom (i.e. sitting on your couch all day) will definitely lower life expectancy. If you are retiring early to pursue hobbies, family, flexibility, travel, etc. - you probably will be fine.

You’re Likely to Live Longer If You Retire After 65

Our theory is that a later retirement may actually delay when your physical and cognitive functioning starts to decline, because work keeps your mind and body active. If you stay active and socially engaged, it helps maintain your cognitive and physical abilities. It’s definitely a future direction for this line of research. I’m interested in how people’s physical and cognitive functions change over time. Older adults are a very heterogeneous group, so it would be interesting to see whether certain trajectories are beneficial or detrimental.

He was an excellent coach and I great ambassador for college basketball. Retiring early sounds like a great idea

818a07bc-9d1e-4e5d-975f-a3822f462ad0_text.gif
One of the smartest guys I know is counting on reaching 125

There’s a difference between retiring early, retiring late, and retiring at the right time.

Wright and JB fit into two of those categories. I’ll let you decide how you want to categorize them.

thats fine... but i know we all agree we are WAY better with boeheim a year or 2 or heck even 3 too long - than had boeheim retired at 60.

LIKE COME ON PEOPLE! THINK LOGICALLY.

2009-2014 was actually an amazing stretch. 2016 final 4. 2018 sweet 16, 2021 sweet 16. couple of big east champs. etc...

I never understood people who say they'll be bored if they retire. I'd need several more lifetimes to indulge my interests.

A health problem that coincided with the beginning of COVID forced me out of my old law firm, who put me on a medical sabbatical. After a couple months of recovery, all my former clients were calling me with their latest work, I went out on my own and never looked back.

It's been just about 2 years, and I've never been happier. I have no commute. I dress casually unless I have an occasional Zoom call with someone who doesn't know me, or if I have the once-in-a-while meeting outside the office, maybe 1 a month.

I almost never take lunch, and work through from 9 to about 2 or 3, and then I'm done for the day, probably 4 days a week. I might have one or two late nights where I work through until 6 or 7, but that's only when there's a deadline.

Meanwhile, my family now understands my work much better. They hear me talking to clients and helping them solve problems all day long, so it's no longer a matter of "I hope dad didn't have a bad day at work", to them knowing the work and the clients. They have a far greater appreciation of what I do, and my daughter, in particular, feels like she has really gotten to know me much better as a person - not just as her "dad" - from our afternoon drives, from cooking together, and watching shows we like together.

I am nearly finished with my first painting - of my wife, from a photo of her from several years ago, and it's looking pretty good. They didn't believe that I had any artistic talent in me, but there you go.

When I finish the painting, next up will be recording a few songs with my wife and daughter using GarageBand. I have already written a song called Middle Age Blues which has a pretty funny lyric, and we'll probably do a couple reasonably obscure covers to give both my wife and daughter their own song. The three of us have a nice sound together, so that will be fun.

I am a little over 60 now, and although I have my own business, plus a part-time job, plus I'm referred a lot of clients by SBDC, I have a ton more time to have fun. And I make a lot more money than I used to make working for somebody else.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom