JB and a Plan ??? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both failed to recreate Camelot at USC.

I want the best HC candidate we can get. Not keep in house.
RF can explain why.

Both of those coaches rehabed this careers after getting away from USC and worked under the best coach in CFB.

Neither has been a rousing success either… wouldnt be surprised if both were eventually fired the way sec and ut goes through coaches

One things for sure.

Whoever JB's replacement turns out to be, most of the fanbase will be unhappy because it won't be "their" guy.

Some of you want Hop. Some want Red. Some want GMac. Some want new blood.

Can't please everyone.

I want Griffin.

someone has to.

If JB told everyone this is expiration date the temperature would cool.

When Cory Alexander was saying 50 years. That wasn’t funny.
We all appreciate JB but having no idea when this will end and what is obviously right in front of us next year has the question of when?

Barring a major addition next year looks worse than this year.
Speaking of Corey Alexander must be hands down the worst analyst in the country. He made more objectively wrong or illogical things then I can count during the unc game.

Speaking of Corey Alexander must be hands down the worst analyst in the country. He made more objectively wrong or illogical things then I can count during the unc game.
He lost me for good after the first Florida State game he was acting like we had never done the 1-1-3 defense and he was shocked we were doing it.
When literally we has done it against Indiana the game before which showed he doesn’t do much prep for the games he does.
It was literally the previous game we showed the adjustment and he was bewildered describing we doing this for the first time.

I took the ironclad thing to mean there is plan in place for when he will retire and he is not some puppet master behind the scenes. Not that the coach was already in place. Regarding the next head coach it will either be Red Autry or Mike Hopkins. There is no way it is someone else. They are not going to do a national search and hire someone with no connection to the program.

I can’t keep it a secret any longer. I will take the job. I’m a Syracuse graduate and I attended almost all of JB’s practices his first three years at Manley Field House when I was a student at SU. Coach used to close practice to fans, but he let me stay. I would sit under the basket. Occasionally, I would go one on one with Rosie. He couldn’t guard me on the perimeter even though I was (am) only 5’6”. The fans will like my style. I love to pressure 95 feet the entire game. Although, some games I only used five players and pressed the entire game (true). I played both man and zone. I have to admit, I watched nearly every Rick Pitino training video. Every practice is one hour of individual fundamentals and one hour of team work. I won several games with last second out of bounds plays. There wasn’t a defense that a team could play that I didn’t have an offense or set plays to run against it. I played man, zone (2-3, 1-3-1, matchup, box and 1, triangle and 2, three man and 2 zone). I just turned 65 last month and now eligible for Medicare so I could save the University health care costs. I’m already receiving a pension so I will take a little less. My two stepsons are out of college eligibility so I won’t be coaching my kids. I do have a seven year old grandson who would be eligible when I’m 76. That’s still younger than JB is now. My left knee is a little cranky, but otherwise I’m still in excellent health. My staff will only be individuals who are active members in Syracusefan. PM me if you’re interested. I’m anxious to get started. I’m hoping JW will announce the change after the season is over. FYI, I promise not to badmouth my centers at post game press conferences and they will not have to cover the corners. Go Orange!
Same

This process is being muddled because of all these breadcrumbs.

Wildhack needs to talk.

Recruiting isn’t exactly been great so the idea this has to be hush/hush for recruiting is cover.

If there actually is an end point and its not after this season it should be said already.

I took the ironclad thing to mean there is plan in place for when he will retire and he is not some puppet master behind the scenes. Not that the coach was already in place. Regarding the next head coach it will either be Red Autry or Mike Hopkins. There is no way it is someone else. They are not going to do a national search and hire someone with no connection to the program.

Not to beat a dead horse for the 1000th time, but why are you so convinced that they would not do a national search and just hand the keys over to either a coach with mixed at best results, or anassistant coach with mediocre recruiting results and no proven track record is the head man?

Given how Hopkins worked out for your UW team -- no thanks.

And given that no other college team has seen fit to offer career lifer AC Red a head coaching job -- no thanks.

JW is a former senior executive -- why would he delimit his choices to such a poor pool of candidates?

Someone asked why don't you want Red my question is why do you want Red? Besides being here a long time what has Red done in his career to warrant getting a top 10 coaching job in the nation?
The argument for Red would be that recruiting has been hampered by JAB's playing certain players too many minutes and if Red was coach that wouldn't happen. If Kidary, Quincy and Woody were still here for example we would be fine talent wise. Also recruiting will uptick with a younger coach with more energy without their kids on the team. Red has been an assistant for a decade and in respected. It would also please former players and alumni who want it to be a person close to the program. If he is not successful then you go out and hire a coach on a national search and say we wanted Red to work but the results are not there.

Someone asked why don't you want Red my question is why do you want Red? Besides being here a long time what has Red done in his career to warrant getting a top 10 coaching job in the nation?

We are a top 10 job, imo (or close to it).

You should have an impeccable resume with proof that you can run a program and can recruit and be a driver of fundraising and you have a healthy ego so that you WANT this crown.

What are we doing here? We are a storied program with six final fours and a title. We haven't had a losing season since people were at Woodstock (the first one!).

It's not my UW team. I'm a Syracuse fan. I'm stating what I believe will happen.

Aren't you [or weren't you] a season ticket holder at UW?

I seem to recall you being a Hop enthusiast when he first got there, and going to a lot of games.

To be clear, I'm not accusing you, and not even directing this at you specifically [fan of your posts] -- I'm just saying that I take Hop enthusiasts believing that he's going to be gift wrapped the job here after flopping at UW with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Aren't you [or weren't you] a season ticket holder at UW?

I seem to recall you being a Hop enthusiast when he first got there, and going to a lot of games.
I'm not a season ticket holder. I go to maybe 2-3 games a year. Just to support Hopkins who I do like. I had not gone to a UW basketball game in the previous 10 years before he got the job.

And given that no other college team has seen fit to offer career lifer AC Red a head coaching job -- no thanks.

JW is a former senior executive -- why would he delimit his choices to such a poor pool of candidates?
I guess that's where I'm at. Usually when assistant coaches get head coach interviews, it leaks out somehow. I have never heard anything for any of our current assistants. And some are falling all over themselves wanting to hire them?

The argument for Red would be that recruiting has been hampered by JAB's playing certain players too many minutes and if Red was coach that wouldn't happen. If Kidary, Quincy and Woody were still here for example we would be fine talent wise. Also recruiting will uptick with a younger coach with more energy without their kids on the team. Red has been an assistant for a decade and in respected. It would also please former players and alumni who want it to be a person close to the program. If he is not successful then you go out and hire a coach on a national search and say we wanted Red to work but the results are not there.

Our recruiting has been on a clear downward trend since Hopkins left not a ringing endorsement of Red.
Red is well respected but has had zero interest across the country when jobs have opened up. I don't remember his name coming up at all with any previous coaching vacancies. Like if he is so respected in and around the area why didn't Buffalo give him a shot or interview after Nate Oats left? How can you justify giving the HC job of a top 10 program national to someone that has never even been a serious candidate for even a lesser job?

We have been already set back by JB and now we want to push the brand down even more by hiring an unproven coach because it might make some former players and alumni happy? That isn't how to run a successful business or program.

Last edited:

As so many love to do around this time of year, if you did a "blind resume" comparison between the potential pool of successful P5 coaches that would be interested, versus that of Red, no impartial observer would choose Red. That's where I am.

Our recruiting has been on a clear downward trend since Hopkins left not a ringing endorsement of Red.
Red is well respected but has had zero interest across the country when jobs have opened up. I don't remember his name coming up at all even with previous coaching vacancies. Like if he is so respected in and around the area why didn't Buffalo give him a shot or interview after Nate Oats left? How can you justify giving the HC job of a top 10 program national to someone that has never even been a serious candidate for even a lesser job?

We have been already set back by JB and now we want to push the brand down even more by hiring an unproven coach because it might make some former players and alumni happy? That isn't how to run a successful business or program.
I agree. I though your questions was the argument for Red and I was making the argument. So you connect our recruiting issues to Hopkins leaving. Does that mean you want Hopkins?

That’s a possibility too. I just think in the dome before a game is the best venue.

Two major reasons I suggest otherwise.

1. To have it in the Dome puts a limit on the people that can be there, both from the perspective of the capacity and who can afford and obtain a ticket. JB has touched a ton of people in the community through SU hoops and his work in the community that can't afford to buy a ticket, but LOVE him and the program none the less.

2. To have it before a game takes away from the experience for JB. First, because it is a distraction from game preparation or the game is a distraction from enjoying the honor and adulation. Second, having it in season limits the number of “Hoops” people both former players and opposing coaches that would be able to come out to honor him because they would have obligations of their own.

This isn't meant to say you're wrong and I'm right, just offer healthy debate.

Last edited:
I agree. I though your questions was the argument for Red and I was making the argument. So you connect our recruiting issues to Hopkins leaving. Does that mean you want Hopkins?

If I had to pick between Hopkins and what is on the bench I would pick Hopkins but I want a national search and picking the best candidate we can. I would try and poach some P5 team coaches who are successful at what some would consider lower-level jobs than Syracuse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom