JB has changed | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add to this the famous (infamous) JB temperament, one that’s as cuddly and wholesome as a desert cactus, & I can see him hanging on even longer just to prove everyone wrong.
The more he hears the talk, or even if it gets to that point, the boos…I can see him more determined to hang on and “show ‘em all” once again.
Translation: As a program, we’re in deep doodoo…w/out a paddle.
excellent reference to cuddly cactus, I thought immediately of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas!

I mean, that’s coaching. What you described is the profession. If doing the job that he’s been doing for nearly 50 years is frustrating and exasperating then maybe it’s time to stop doing it. Cuz the job ain’t changing.
You're right. But eventually* the players stop making the mistakes that are making you frustrated and you don't sound like a poster said he did earlier because you don't feel that way anymore. They're playing well.

Everyone is all over him because of his age, he's coached too long, he's sour to the media, can't recruit anymore, even though he's always there recruiting top kids. I guess people just don't like the idea of him coaching anymore, or just don't like him. 1100 wins is more than enough, go play golf.

Nope, he doesn't know how to do that at the moment. So everyone is stuck with Boeheim. And, there's nothing anyone can do about it except throw snowballs at him and talk down about him here until he's gone.

And, as I said earlier this team is a whole new deal, loaded with freshman. This season, IMO, will be worse than last year. Can't wait to read all the bullshit that will be coming when we're playing the meat of the ACC schedule.

* eventually, not this year

I do this for a living, believe it or not. I can list any number of coaches in the Division I ranks that I know for a fact are laughing at us and do not respect SU anymore as a threat.
You are rather enigmatic. Where's the list? Don't really have one? I can continue to wait for a long time.

add up all their wins and boeheim will probably laugh at them
most of us would rather measure our wins and losses by being good fathers, husbands, and friends first and foremost. JB can’t take those 1100 wins with him to the afterlife.

Last edited:
most of us would rather measure our wins and losses by being good fathers, husbands, and friends first and foremost. JB can’t take those 1100 wins with him to the afterlife.
ok but he was talking about other college coaches

In watching todays post game presser and listening to Jim after the last game he has changed.
He is as smart as ever and his observations are for the most part spot on. Whats different is that he comes across as an observer vs the teams coach. Hes detailed but hes also detached. Very matter of fact, very laid back.
Like hes reviewing a play vs directing it.

I'm just grateful that he's not totally destroying these kids in the press (so far ...).

I agree with you that this year might be as bad or worse than last year

I don't think we are good, I think we will be irrelevant. I just don't think we look like idiots for not canning boeheim

I think a better coach (better today) could do better with these guys.

He would not insist on zone for guys who don't know how to play it .

If he played 3 guards, he would not put the Smurfiest on the bottom where you need a rebounder.

A better coach might run more sets, more screens, more backdoor cuts, actually coach the offense to create good shots.

I think he would be a good analyst at ESPN or wherever, he is a funny dude when he isn't being surly, and he knows his stuff. I would be happy if he starts that career next fall

He could be the new Hubie Brown.

He’s not defeated, he’s frustrated with their play and it comes through in his response. If you listen closely during his latest presser he mentions the fact that they did not do it that way in practice.

I don’t know what happens between practice and playing the game but it’s a lot and he gets tired of it. You’re there to play well like you did in practice when you went over and over plays, guarding, everything. Watching your players stand there in the game without challenging their 3 PT shooting has got to be frustrating as hell.

Being a friend of JB’s I get the fact that he knows so much about the game, coaching kids and then watching them fail has to be exasperating. At this point in his life, I think perhaps he’d be more satisfied coaching a good, professional team not teaching kids how to play.

When you practice you practice against your own teammates. When your teammates aren't very good and the opponent's team is better there's a good chance that what you practiced is not going to work nearly as well against a more skilled opponent.

Comes with age. No one beats father time. You just lose fire. You just do.
And that is exactly why and should be the only reason, enough of a reason why he should step did right now Or as soon as possible because it's not gonna get any better .

Anyone watching Michigan St. Did not add anyone from transfer portal. Lost three top scorers. Added three freshman ranked outside 247sports Top 50. Relying on a former highly recruited junior Maddy Sisocko who had scored 60 pts in first two years. Izzo has team going head to head with Gonzaga and Kentucky. An older coach coaching up a team that probably doesn't have an NBA guy on the team

You're right. But eventually* the players stop making the mistakes that are making you frustrated and you don't sound like a poster said he did earlier because you don't feel that way anymore. They're playing well.

Everyone is all over him because of his age, he's coached too long, he's sour to the media, can't recruit anymore, even though he's always there recruiting top kids. I guess people just don't like the idea of him coaching anymore, or just don't like him. 1100 wins is more than enough, go play golf.

Nope, he doesn't know how to do that at the moment. So everyone is stuck with Boeheim. And, there's nothing anyone can do about it except throw snowballs at him and talk down about him here until he's gone.

And, as I said earlier this team is a whole new deal, loaded with freshman. This season, IMO, will be worse than last year. Can't wait to read all the bullshit that will be coming when we're playing the meat of the ACC schedule.

* eventually, not this year
If Jim’s program was competing at a high level there’d be little criticism. Problem is that he hasn’t been doing that for a while.

We’ve been a very mediocre program for years. We haven’t been ranked in 4 years, and we haven’t finished a season ranked in 8 years. We also haven’t been a sub-8 seed in the tourney in 8 years.

The young team that you say frustrates him is the direct result of a litany of roster issues that have compounded over years.

Look, I’d like nothing more than to see Jim finishing his career the way the Coach K did. But he isn’t. And it seems to be getting worse. At some point he either needs to turn things around or let someone else give it a shot.

He’s not defeated, he’s frustrated with their play and it comes through in his response. If you listen closely during his latest presser he mentions the fact that they did not do it that way in practice.

I don’t know what happens between practice and playing the game but it’s a lot and he gets tired of it. You’re there to play well like you did in practice when you went over and over plays, guarding, everything. Watching your players stand there in the game without challenging their 3 PT shooting has got to be frustrating as hell.

Being a friend of JB’s I get the fact that he knows so much about the game, coaching kids and then watching them fail has to be exasperating. At this point in his life, I think perhaps he’d be more satisfied coaching a good, professional team not teaching kids how to play.
That's great but he's getting paid to teach kids how to play.

I think a better coach (better today) could do better with these guys.

He would not insist on zone for guys who don't know how to play it .

If he played 3 guards, he would not put the Smurfiest on the bottom where you need a rebounder.

A better coach might run more sets, more screens, more backdoor cuts, actually coach the offense to create good shots.
Sure. I just have no reason to believe that sufan44's friends are in that group of coaches that would be better today

Sure. I just have no reason to believe that sufan44's friends are in that group of coaches that would be better today
You never know until you do it. The unknown is scary. But is it right to just allow for mediocrity comparative to resources provided because you're afraid of the alternative? I don't believe it is.

You never know until you do it. The unknown is scary. But is it right to just allow for mediocrity comparative to resources provided because you're afraid of the alternative? I don't believe it is.
I'm not afraid of the alternative, I'm just grateful enough to the guy to wait because I don't treat this shlit like the stock market

And I'm guessing your coaches aren't that sharp if they're laughing that the coaches last years aren't great. They're last years for a reason. They'll have them too and if they were smarter they'd realize it

Last edited:
If Jim’s program was competing at a high level there’d be little criticism. Problem is that he hasn’t been doing that for a while.

We’ve been a very mediocre program for years. We haven’t been ranked in 4 years, and we haven’t finished a season ranked in 8 years. We also haven’t been a sub-8 seed in the tourney in 8 years.

The young team that you say frustrates him is the direct result of a litany of roster issues that have compounded over years.

Look, I’d like nothing more than to see Jim finishing his career the way the Coach K did. But he isn’t. And it seems to be getting worse. At some point he either needs to turn things around or let someone else give it a shot.

Great post, top to bottom.

JB gears everything he does with a team to peaking at the NCAA tourney

for most of his career, his teams were no doubter tourney teams...

However, now, they aren't. he no longer has the luxury of getting up to speed as the season goes on...bc there wont be a postseason to play for without hitting the ground running now. i really wonder what they do in the offseason...

so - I have no doubt that this team will be much improved by feb/march...probably even be very good by then

Problem is by then it's likely it won't matter how good the team is.

his recent seasons seem like the team is always 2 or 3 years away from being really good...but its a new roster every season as the norm...so thats immaterial.

Overall, he has a "formula"...it just doesnt work anymore. not like it used to, anyway...with 5 star players, it could still work but they arent coming now.

I dont know what has to change in terms of how he communicates with and coaches players but I've noticed for a long time now that on a micro-scale, his players lose the basketball IQ battle consistently, and badly. in the colgate game, for example, the players were moving and shifting on defense almost idiotically in some cases...but they are smart people and talented players...its on the coaching, imo.

I get it the zone takes years to master but this is a different era...the system needs an overhaul.

whatever it is it needs to be able to be implemented in one summer offseason now that rosters shift so much year to year.

i would change the title of this thread to JB hasnt changed (and he needs to do).

I'm not afraid of the alternative, I'm just grateful enough to the guy to wait because I don't treat this shlit like the stock market

And I'm guessing your coaches aren't that sharp if they're laughing that the coaches last years aren't great. They're last years for a reason. They'll have them too and if they were smarter they'd realize it
Yeah, I think you're missing the whole boat here (my opinion) and we're never going to see eye to eye.

Guy can't stay forever, and it's clear he needs to be extracted rather than nudged. Sometimes you need help helping yourself. Stubborn people need more. JB is more stubborn than most (all). Which means waiting is a fool's errand.

JB gears everything he does with a team to peaking at the NCAA tourney
Except that for years that wasn't the case at all. Our "February swoons" were frequent. If anything the persistent critique of JB was that he piled up wins early in the season at the expense of developing the team for March.

I agree that in recent years simply getting into the tourney has been a high wire act due to not getting out of the gate strong (or being strong at any point in the season really).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom