JB: We're not close to where we were at this point last year. | Syracusefan.com

JB: We're not close to where we were at this point last year.

cuseguy

Living Legend
He knows the team better than I do, but we did not look good in our first 3-4 games last year.

So maybe I really need to worry.

He knows the team better than I do, but we did not look good in our first 3-4 games last year.

Hey Cuseguy: "You should feel bad". ;)

He also said the team has no stamina right now, and that doesn't come overnight.

Who's job is it to make sure the team is in shape?

Hmmm.

Of course, we re younger! More upside on this team imo, doesnt mean it will happen tho. Very rarely, if ever have i seen an SU team progress as little as last yrs team did after january, looked like they just ran out of gas. Really hope and expect to see this team take some big steps forward in feb and march

CuseHulk said:
Really ? Hey, Has Chris McCullough proven anything to you ?

Yup, that he can pick up 4 fouls just as quickly as he always did.

Have I been saying anything about McCullough?

He's playing well, but he needs to get stronger for the next level.

He also said the team has no stamina right now, and that doesn't come overnight.

Hmmm.
These days, coaches expect players to report to pre-season camp in shape. As a matter of fact, I remember an interview with Bobby Knight when he was still coaching at Indiana where he said he assumed his players were in game shape at his first practice.

These days, coaches expect players to report to pre-season camp in shape. As a matter of fact, I remember an interview with Bobby Knight when he was still coaching at Indiana where he said he assumed his players were in game shape at his first practice.
Yep, players have to have accountability for their offseason fitness level. You can't just roll into preseason having not lifted or run all summer and expect to actually play or compete. The players need to monitor each other/themselves and take care of their own business when they're out of season.

There is no CJ Fair this year...although Rak looks close; having a veteran who was your go-to scorer was huge in the early part of last year.

Hmmm.
We aren't that good right now. 4th pt guard in 4 years and a frosh as well. Plus, our forwards are really young. This will be a season where we are not as good as we have been

jekelish said:
Yep, players have to have accountability for their offseason fitness level. You can't just roll into preseason having not lifted or run all summer and expect to actually play or compete. The players need to monitor each other/themselves and take care of their own business when they're out of season.

Well, can we take a guess as to who JB is referring to?

We aren't that good right now. 4th pt guard in 4 years and a frosh as well. Plus, our forwards are really young. This will be a season where we are not as good as we have been
Until we get to NYc and win the tourney. I think we're just fine 2 games in all thins considered. We'll find a flow.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Game conditioning is different.

Good points. Definitely a difference.

Game conditioning is different.
Absolutely. I first REALLY learned that the hard way about 6-7 years ago. I hadn't really played much pickup for a few years, but had been running 4-5 miles just about every day, and when I got back out on the floor...oof. I was winded as hell after one game.

It's like the difference between distance running and sprinting. Very different conditioning for each.

One of the things I thought we miss most from last year is CJ's mid range game and play around the basket.

Hopefully, we get that from a variety players as the year progresses.

One of the things I thought we miss most from last year is CJ's mid range game and play around the basket.

Hopefully, we get that from a variety players as the year progresses.
I can see McCullough taking - and making - a lot of elbow jumpers this season.

Just a question. With summer leagues being outlawed by the NCAA, what do the players do to stay in game shape? I know they can play pick up (assume that wasn't outlawed :rolleyes:) but that doesn't usually equate to D1 game shape, what is allowed by the NCAA,other than personal workouts?

Just a question. With summer leagues being outlawed by the NCAA, what do the players do to stay in game shape? I know they can play pick up (assume that wasn't outlawed :rolleyes:) but that doesn't usually equate to D1 game shape, what is allowed by the NCAA,other than personal workouts?

I don't think summer leagues are outlawed. You just can't play in more than one is my understanding.

Thats funny because coach kept saying how we werent that good all year last year.

I can see McCullough taking - and making - a lot of elbow jumpers this season.

I'd also like to see Roberson hit those shots, or drive for that shot and dish to Chris or Rak when the D comes up. It would things up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom