JB's Postgame Presser | Monmouth | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Monmouth

Said it preseason, will say it again. This a young team that will be inconsistent but fun to watch grow of you have the right attitude about it.

Watching guys take 2 steps fwd and 1 back and then sometimes 5 fwd is more fun that over analyzing and then pooping a brick every time our elderly HC speaks. Ignore him.

I see some of the most renowned haters gave this post a like, but it's ridiculous. At least they are consistent in their capacity to hate JB.

You are saying the coaching has been "terrible" for a "decade". Really?
Since 2014 season, the highest the team has been ranked is 15th. Let me repeat that. In 9 seasons, the highest ranking is 15th. Haven’t been ranked in 5 years. That goes on the coach. I’m not a hater by any means. I’m a real fan who notices real things. 173-111 record since 2014. Take out the cupcake games and what does that record really look like ? So who should be responsible then??

Re: Brown, JB made the point that he’s still learning the zone defense, isn’t a great passer and isn’t a shooter. “He’s a low post player.” Said Benny gives us another offensive threat away from the basket because he can make a mid range jump shot (though he also needs to work to score closer to the basket). JB said Brown is young and needs some time but acknowledged his stats are better than Hakim Warrick’s were as a freshman. Despite Brown not being an outside shooting threat, I think we’ll see more of Brown if Bell still can’t figure out how to grab a dang rebound. You can tell JB is at the end of his rope with Bell’s ineptness on the boards.
I agree that Brown has some big holes in his game, but his genius is to be in the right spot at the right time for rebounds and shots close to the rim. His nickname should be spot on brown or something more clever.

I Would have a very tough time as a parent watching these press conferences. Your job as a coach is to make the kids better, lift them up, give a jolt of confidence and be honest BEHIND the scenes. I’ve never seen a coach act like this on a consistent basis. YOU’RE THE COACH, it’s your job to improve these things. It’s your job to give them a system that helps them. I’ve had to stop watching these bc it’s just wrong. There’s zero encouragement during the game. There’s zero excitement during the game. It’s just whining and complaining as usual.
Parents! Heck, I stop watching them long ago because they are so cringe worthy.

Since 2014 season, the highest the team has been ranked is 15th. Let me repeat that. In 9 seasons, the highest ranking is 15th. Haven’t been ranked in 5 years. That goes on the coach. I’m not a hater by any means. I’m a real fan who notices real things. 173-111 record since 2014. Take out the cupcake games and what does that record really look like ? So who should be responsible then??
JB is responsible, but what you just described is not the result of “terrible“ coaching. Every single person on this forum notices that things aren’t what we would like.

You may not be a hater, but you (and the posters that liked your post) are only recognizing part of the reality. There is a segment of the fan base that thinks you deal with a 40+ year head coach of a very successful D1 basketball program the same way you would deal with a 16 y/o worker at McDonalds. That’s not reality.

I believe JB is using this year to coach up a group of good young players to hand off to someone else that could plug in the right player or 2 and be very successful. It remains to be seen if that’s the case, but it’s definitely not “terrible“ coaching. IMO his coaching has been pretty good this year. So far, he’s turned a dumpster fire into something resembling a team.

JB is responsible, but what you just described is not the result of “terrible“ coaching. Every single person on this forum notices that things aren’t what we would like.

You may not be a hater, but you (and the posters that liked your post) are only recognizing part of the reality. There is a segment of the fan base that thinks you deal with a 40+ year head coach of a very successful D1 basketball program the same way you would deal with a 16 y/o worker at McDonalds. That’s not reality.

I believe JB is using this year to coach up a group of good young players to hand off to someone else that could plug in the right player or 2 and be very successful. It remains to be seen if that’s the case, but it’s definitely not “terrible“ coaching. IMO his coaching has been pretty good this year. So far, he’s turned a dumpster fire into something resembling a team.
He’s turned HIS dumpster fire into the beginnings of a first step towards something resembling a team.

He’s turned HIS dumpster fire into the beginnings of a first step towards something resembling a team.
LOL a dumpster fire that has resulted in 17 NCAA tournament wins the last 10 years. More than a lot of teams and something I do care about rather than being Number 12 in the nation on December 20th. We get it you hate JB, don't like who he plays, and think the program is in up in flames. Its been a grind but JB has always had the guys competing. A Dumpster fire is Louisville or Gtown. Not in any way Syracuse

LOL a dumpster fire that has resulted in 17 NCAA tournament wins the last 10 years. More than a lot of teams and something I do care about rather than being Number 12 in the nation on December 20th. We get it you hate JB, don't like who he plays, and think the program is in up in flames. Its been a grind but JB has always had the guys competing. A Dumpster fire is Louisville or Gtown. Not in any way Syracuse
3 fun March’s in 16, 18, and 21. Glad that 2 sweet 16’s and a final 4 in an entire decade do it for you.

I remember when we’d accomplish that in a 4 year span. Plus with 4 years of good-great regular season ball.

Last edited:
For a program that has a history of excellence and success (conference regular season and tournament championships as well as success in the NCAA tournament), our performance over the last 9 years has been mediocre at best. Overall record 162-115 (58% win pct) and conference record 75-72 (51% win pct). If Cuse doesn't make the tourney this year that will be 5 missed tournaments in the last 9 seasons. I'm baffled that people don't realize how far the program has fallen.

Hit the portal, sure. But it’s stupid to act like he should’ve told Cole to come back. Cole was as good of a basketball player as he was ever going to be, he’s 23 years old and plays one of the most competitive positions in basketball. He left at the right time for Cole, and telling him to come back would’ve been putting the rest of his career at risk for incredibly selfish reasons.
With NIL it’s not crazy for guys to come back.

Man these pressers just don’t come off well.

Even at the end Donna tried to throw him a layup about Bennys improved shooting and JB said “it’s just one game he’s shouting 22%”.

Bell can’t rebound, we get it. But he constantly brings it up yet continues to play him. Either don’t bring it up anymore or sit him.

according to sports reference, Benny is shooting about 46% from twos and about 31% from threes. Not saying it’s good but thats not terrible or deserving of the response JB gave.

did anyone bring up the enormous foul discrepancy . 26-6 ? c'mon that's the ballgame donna !

JB had no idea that Cole would get signed by the Lakers. Jb didn't want anything to disturb Benny because he wanted Benny here to make sure he got Mintz. Would it have been selfish to go out and recruit a portal forward. Same reason he didn't.
Well, Benny is a 4, and Cole is a 3

His coaching isn’t the problem. Maybe the rotations are a little short but in terms of in-game he’s generally pretty good outside of drawing up late game plays. The end of the St. John’s game was malpractice.

It’s all the other stuff that has been falling by the wayside and not given the proper time.

His coaching isn’t the problem. Maybe the rotations are a little short but in terms of in-game he’s generally pretty good outside of drawing up late game plays. The end of the St. John’s game was malpractice.

It’s all the other stuff that has been falling by the wayside and not given the proper time.
Ehhhh.

Putting his son at center to give up the game winning layup against Wake was absurd. The game at GTown last year - sticking with the same 5 the entire second half.

He wasn’t good the previous two years IMO.

Playing man in the preseason and first game only to abandon it for Colgate, and then talk about how they’re the best team against a zone we’ll see….ughhhh. Otherwise he’s been ok this year IMO.

Ehhhh.

Putting his son at center to give up the game winning layup against Wake was absurd. The game at GTown last year - sticking with the same 5 the entire second half.

Playing man in the preseason and first game only to abandon it for Colgate, and then talk about how they’re the best team against a zone we’ll see….ughhhh. Otherwise he’s been ok this year IMO.
I think coaching his sons especially both of them really warped his vision and he turned into your typical recreation dad coach

Ehhhh.

He has dad blinders on four 4 years.

Well, Benny is a 4, and Cole is a 3
Well, Benny might not have seen the distinction. Same reason we didn't go after a portal forward. Oh, and as for jb looking out for what was best for Cole, Tyler Ennis says hi. And he went in the first round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom