JB's Postgame Presser | Monmouth | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Monmouth

I Would have a very tough time as a parent watching these press conferences. Your job as a coach is to make the kids better, lift them up, give a jolt of confidence and be honest BEHIND the scenes. I’ve never seen a coach act like this on a consistent basis. YOU’RE THE COACH, it’s your job to improve these things. It’s your job to give them a system that helps them. I’ve had to stop watching these bc it’s just wrong. There’s zero encouragement during the game. There’s zero excitement during the game. It’s just whining and complaining as usual.
I find it very ironic that posters say JB says the same thing every Press Conf. and its negative, but the same thing gets posted after every one rehashing his same words and the posts are generally negative. Listen JB is not changing and really shouldn't. Then he loses his fire. Most parents do not care whats said in the conference and if they do they they are lawn mower parents and their kids will be soft because of it. Yeah he is tough on players not performing, and they are not performing to a competitive level he wants of them. We also can agree that JB and Cuse basketball has one of the best family environments around. Former players come back. They named their alumni team after him. Obviously JB's tough coaching is followed up by some love somewhere to the players that he doesn't care that we see. We have to get past the press Conf not sounding the way you want. To much marshmallow softness

I find it very ironic that posters say JB says the same thing every Press Conf. and its negative, but the same thing gets posted after every one rehashing his same words and the posts are generally negative. Listen JB is not changing and really shouldn't. Then he loses his fire. Most parents do not care whats said in the conference and if they do they they are lawn mower parents and their kids will be soft because of it. Yeah he is tough on players not performing, and they are not performing to a competitive level he wants of them. We also can agree that JB and Cuse basketball has one of the best family environments around. Former players come back. They named their alumni team after him. Obviously JB's tough coaching is followed up by some love somewhere to the players that he doesn't care that we see. We have to get past the press Conf not sounding the way you want. To much marshmallow softness
Clearly you’ve not followed recent recruiting.

Man, I see a different Taylor than many of you. His activity on defense is pretty good. Id prefer him up top, but his positioning on the wings has been better than I expected.
I agree. I like Taylor. Didn’t really mean to throw him in with Bell. I don’t know why he only got 3 minutes(!) last night. I suspect JB thinks the drawback with Taylor is his lack of length/height for rebounding and closing out on D and his struggles (along with Bell’s) still learning the zone rotations. At least Taylor has proven he can grab some boards. I also wonder if JB wanted to experiment last night playing two power forwards and give Maliq some playing time to see how Benny did at the 3. If there was a game left to do it, this was the one.

Last edited:
Clearly you’ve not followed recent recruiting.
Recruits are not listening to the PC's either. What they do pay attention to is a Coach that may or may not be at the school in the coming years and Fan boards who bash their program and coach, oh yeah and a program that has 6 freshmen of which most of them will be back for another year.

Bell has quietly shown that the shot does not need to be a long drawn out release. I think that is a label some here have put on him based on early performances. Had a lightening quick release on the three he made against Georgetown and had a quick one early in the game last night too. 33% on the year from three. For a freshman I would not call that "a shooter who can't shoot" or what have you. Buddy was 35% on 4 attempts a game as a freshman. We NEED a forward who can shoot from distance out there, especially if Mintz is only good for 1 or 2 attempted jumpers a game. Benny improving but can't be our catch and shoot guy just yet. It has to be either him or Taylor at small forward with few exceptions.

Micro moment from the game but in the first half he had a nice moment where he had a solid contest on a shot on the rim and then immediately got off his feet again to fight for the board and tip it to Jesse. He is skinny as hell which is a part of the rebounding problem, and we should not be so quick to blame it on a lack of effort. Just because he has a cool as a cucumber demeanor doesn't mean he's not grinding out there.

Recruits are not listening to the PC's either. What they do pay attention to is a Coach that may or may not be at the school in the coming years and Fan boards who bash their program and coach, oh yeah and a program that has 6 freshmen of which most of them will be back for another year.
Wait, you really think our words here are more impactful than the coach trashing his players in readily available press conferences? You may be delusional

Based on recent trends, how many of the six do you actually think will be back?

In case you needed to see the trends for yourself.

You are a coach?? Youth today is not looking for fan boards that are an antiquated form of discourse vs all the modern apps preferred today. I'm not saying traffic doesn't make its way here to see what people talk about but your version is an outrageous claim.

Re: Brown, JB made the point that he’s still learning the zone defense, isn’t a great passer and isn’t a shooter. “He’s a low post player.” Said Benny gives us another offensive threat away from the basket because he can make a mid range jump shot (though he also needs to work to score closer to the basket). JB said Brown is young and needs some time but acknowledged his stats are better than Hakim Warrick’s were as a freshman. Despite Brown not being an outside shooting threat, I think we’ll see more of Brown if Bell still can’t figure out how to grab a dang rebound. You can tell JB is at the end of his rope with Bell’s ineptness on the boards.
Or if Benny can become a somewhat more consistent perimeter threat. Not necessarily from 3, but the 15-18 foot range. That way you can play Benny and Brown together. Once we reverted exclusively to zone it likely set Brown back a bit. JB said they spent much more time practicing in man than in zone and the rotations can be a bit complex at forward. I think it’s reasonable to accept that Bol understands that a bit better at this point and Maliq isn’t ready to overtake his minutes, but I expect that by the start of the new year we will see that happen.
Think that finding a player that didn’t even sniff the top 200 of recruiting rankings, but now has a portion of the fan base screaming coaching malfeasance is more a positive than a negative.?

Based on recent trends, how many of the six do you actually think will be back?

In case you needed to see the trends for yourself.

Ok so what i see is we have lost 3 players after their freshmen year in the last 5 years and 5 in the last 10.. So maybe we lose 2 at most of the 6. Get a player late like Judah signed or portal, 1 or 2. Your frustration blinds you buddy... Yeah last year was bad but this team will continue to grow and they wont be deterred by a PC like Benny wasn't last year

Ok so what i see is we have lost 3 players after their freshmen year in the last 5 years and 5 in the last 10.. So maybe we lose 2 at most of the 6. Get a player late like Judah signed or portal, 1 or 2. Your frustration blinds you buddy... Yeah last year was bad but this team will continue to grow and they wont be deterred by a PC like Benny wasn't last year
It seems from this board that Benny is only here this year because of Judah?

Lol at blaming fan boards for recruiting issues. Ridiculous. Every fan board is the same everywhere.

Syracuse’s fan base is a plus. Every player ever that came to Cuse talks about the fan support as being incredible.

You are a coach?? Youth today is not looking for fan boards that are an antiquated form of discourse vs all the modern apps preferred today. I'm not saying traffic doesn't make its way here to see what people talk about but your version is an outrageous claim.

If it was based on fan boards, Kentucky would never get any player ever. They are insane on their boards.

Where’s the accountability on the coaching being terrible for the last decade ?

Yeah its so outrageous that a youth of today who is all about scrolling online would checkout fan boards that started with the recruiting business to see what people say about them, as opposed to sitting thru a 10 minute video PC. And also correct me if I am wrong but haven't we had at least couple basketball parents on here and let everyone know that as opposed to being a lurker. Yup sounds way off base!

Watching Taylor and Bell I see two opposite players with opposite problems. They could help each other out by watching how each other play...

Taylor- Seems to be well positioned on defense. Always seems to be moving and he doesn't seem to be afraid to throw his body around on the boards. This is the opposite of what I see from Bell...

Bell- On offense he always seems to be "drifting" to open spots to get his shot off. The ball always seems to find him when he is open because he has figured out how to present himself on offense. This is the opposite of Taylor who seems to have a problem finding an opening and finding the ball.

I dont know. Chris looks a bit small to rebound. Once he fills out, that could help him. Maybe he will never have a nose for the ball but he may develop a better ability to get the ones he should get.
You gotta want the rebound. Louie Orr was a string bean. He weighed about 165 lbs, was 6'8", and averaged 7 boards a game.

A post from someone living in 1999.

Fan boards vs twitter/reddit. Check

6 freshman, most who will be be back for another year. Check.

A post from someone living in 1999.

Fan boards vs twitter/reddit. Check

6 freshman, most who will be be back for another year. Check.
Where did I compare Fan boards to Twitter or Instagram? Not seeing that. Recruits would be on social media scrolling too. I said they would rather scroll and see their names than watch any PC video for 10 minutes. Now if we could Tik Tok JB's PC to 1 minute maybe.

The poster before sent me research and asked by reading that how many freshmen would be back next year. So by my the research I said 2 of the 6 would leave. I think thats 33%, but still leaves 4 to grow with.

So my thing is, how are we measuring how well Bell rebounds?

We can start with the base assumption that his rebounding is not good, and that a zero rebound game is too common for him and not acceptable.

But there's a lot of recency bias to the zero rebounds criticism, because the previous game against Georgetown he got 3 rebounds in 22 minutes. Is that enough? Is that acceptable? Is that stepping up?

When is the point where Bell crosses the line from doesn't rebound well enough to his rebounding isn't Rodman level but isn't an issue?
One of those rebounds was when he was all alone under the basket and actually lost the ball and was just able to save it from going out of bounds. There is no way to spin that he doesn't even try to rebound. It is as far from acceptable as you can get.

I see a lot of progress has been made. Sure, we can point out a players' deficiencies but the whole of the team is playing better. Team has not reached full potential yet, but it is improving. Also, last night the maturity level after hard fouls and physical play was far better than what we saw v. Bryant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom