JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB’s coaching acumen has exactly ZERO bearing on his ability - or lack thereof - of identifying the next coach.

Moreover - it’s not his job to do so.

You think Wildhack got to be the number 2 guy at ESPN by accident or something?
He knows just a little bit about the business of sports.
JB
Wouldn't have left Manley
Would have voted to stay in the Big East
Hes a great coach who will push for Hop or one of his assistants as he should.
Im on record as saying SU will hire Hop or from within so it shouldn't be an issue. My sense is Wild JB and the BOT will all agree on this.

IMO, SU will hire one of the assistant coaches. Why? If you hire an outsider they will probably use SU as a stepping stone to a perceived better job down the road. AND an assistant comes cheaper. SU loves tradition in its coaching staff. Simmons, Desko, Schwartzwalder , Boeheim, etc. Money talks and B.S. walks at SU.

Last edited:
IMO, SU will hire one of the assistant coaches. Why? If you hire an outsider they will probably use SU as a stepping stone to a perceived better job down the road. AND and assistant comes cheaper. SU loves tradition in its coaching staff. Simmons, Desko, Schwartzwalder , Boeheim, etc. Money talks and B.S. walks at SU.

Aside from the usual “blue bloods” how many better jobs in college are there? Unless you’re talking about jumping to an NBA gig, I don’t see it aside from the 6-7 traditional powers.

well the elf has john wildhack ever shown that makes so many think he'll pluck a golden goose from the flock? for all his skills & experience, he has never had a responsibility like this.

i can't believe anyone not colored by some kind of bias would honestly think he has an iota of the acumen jb possesses when it comes to identifying who can helm the program that he built.

i mean, come on. get over yourselves.

But at that point it's no longer JBs program, it is the SU program. There is a difference. All respect to JB but I don't want a guy that tries to just emulate what we have going on here now. It's hard to get better if everything stays the same.

IMO, SU will hire one of the assistant coaches. Why? If you hire an outsider they will probably use SU as a stepping stone to a perceived better job down the road. AND and assistant comes cheaper. SU loves tradition in its coaching staff. Simmons, Desko, Schwartzwalder , Boeheim, etc. Money talks and B.S. walks at SU.

Honestly, where do people come up with this stuff? In the college game there are 4 or 5 better jobs, and maybe 15 that are on par. A coach would not typically leave for an on par job. And unless UNC, Kentucky, etc come calling, the chances of SU getting 'stepping stoned', aside from an NBA gig, are virtually nil. And if the NBA came calling it's likely because he has killed it and earned that shot. The chicken little takes and inferiority complex are infuriating.

Schwartzwalder was an outsider. Born and bred in West Virginia.

SU has a tradition of excellence over the last 50 years that has been built on the success of JB and his formula of keeping it in the family. Generations of past players remain close to our program because of this.
JW returned to become AD because of this.
Dino preaches Ohana/Family.
JB has lived it since stepping foot on the Syracuse campus.
Why in anyone's right mind would you go outside for the next hire?
Just look at all of the massive failures of high priced coaches not making it because they dont understand or fit the culture.
SU would be absolutely Bat S crazy to hire anyone other than family to succeed JB and JW is anything but crazy.

Honestly, where do people come up with this stuff? In the college game there are 4 or 5 better jobs, and maybe 15 that are on par. A coach would not typically leave for an on par job. And unless UNC, Kentucky, etc come calling, the chances of SU getting 'stepping stoned', aside from an NBA gig, are virtually nil. And if the NBA came calling it's likely because he has killed it and earned that shot. The chicken little takes and inferiority complex are infuriating.

Honestly were do fans come up with this stuff ? I remember sitting in a Civics class in Maxwell listening to the professor and student rating SU to Yale and Harvard. I had a high school friend that went to Yale. SU isn't and wasn't in Yale's category. SU fans have a higher option of SU than people/fans across the country. And yes a outsider of a coach would leave for better $$$$ and opportunity. Go take a vacation across country and ask people about SU. You'll probably hear "they have a good basketball program", " Boheim is a jerk or Boheim is a good coach or he's been there forever". But you won't hear your opinion of SU unless you talk to a SU alum living there.

Honestly were do fans come up with this stuff ? I remember sitting in a Civics class in Maxwell listening to the professor and student rating SU to Yale and Harvard. I had a high school friend that went to Yale. SU isn't and wasn't in Yale's category. SU fans have a higher option of SU than people/fans across the country. And yes a outsider of a coach would leave for better $$$$ and opportunity. Go take a vacation across country and ask people about SU. You'll probably hear "they have a good basketball program", " Boheim is a jerk or Boheim is a good coach or he's been there forever". But you won't hear your opinion of SU unless you talk to a SU alum living there.
What job would the HC of SU basketball leave for?

You don’t get college hoops isn’t what it was in the past.
There are like maybe a handful of college jobs better than Syracuse.
This isn’t college football where only the blueblood factories can win it all.

Whomever we hire we don’t have to worry about them jumping to another college job.
Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky are the only elite jobs right now.

Jay Wright can win at Villanova, Mark Few can win at Gonzaga.
This isn’t college football.

Your argument now revolves around the university as whole whereas I initially thought you were commenting on the basketball program. There are not many other college basketball programs the head coach of Syracuse basketball would leave for, although as someone else mentioned the NBA would be a completely different scenario. I remember thinking Boeheim was close to leaving once for the Washington wizards job that I believe Leonard Hamilton ended up getting.

well the elf has john wildhack ever shown that makes so many think he'll pluck a golden goose from the flock? for all his skills & experience, he has never had a responsibility like this.

i can't believe anyone not colored by some kind of bias would honestly think he has an iota of the acumen jb possesses when it comes to identifying who can helm the program that he built.

If the next SU basketball coach turns out to be the Greg Robinson of bball coaches, all the blame will be placed upon Wildhack. That will mostly define his legacy at SU. And rightfully so, he's the athletic director and that's what he was hired to do. So because he's the one who will bear the brunt of the blame for a bad hire, this should be an independent and clear-eyed decision from him.

JB is one of the most brilliant basketball tacticians that has ever lived, but his job isn't to hire CEOs of basketball programs. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Hop's problems at UW could largely be attributed to the effect covid has had on his ability to visit recruits. Kids are staying closer to home and Seattle is far from everywhere, especially Hop's east coast connections. I give him a pass for the down turn.

If the next SU basketball coach turns out to be the Greg Robinson of bball coaches, all the blame will be placed upon Wildhack. That will mostly define his legacy at SU. And rightfully so, he's the athletic director and that's what he was hired to do. So because he's the one who will bear the brunt of the blame for a bad hire, this should be an independent and clear-eyed decision from him.

Are you purposely being obtuse over this or do you really think the basketball alums aren’t going to have a large voice here?

Last edited:
Are you purposefully being obtuse over this or do you really think the basketball alums aren’t going to have a large voice here?

“What did you just say?!”

1609688554241.jpeg

In addition, if UW continued on the trajectory that Hop had them on previous to C19, it is doubtful that SU could or would match the amount of money that UW boosters would throw at him. If he is released by UW, SU should bring him back in some capacity, until JB retires, his proven.

What job would the HC of SU basketball leave for?

You don’t get college hoops isn’t what it was in the past.
There are like maybe a handful of college jobs better than Syracuse.
This isn’t college football where only the blueblood factories can win it all.

Whomever we hire we don’t have to worry about them jumping to another college job.
Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky are the only elite jobs right now.

Jay Wright can win at Villanova, Mark Few can win at Gonzaga.
This isn’t college football.

I mostly agree but there are also 30 or so jobs that pay better.

I imagine salary will be a significant factor in our next hire. Wildhack has great reverence for JB and I presume his opinion will be highly valued. Combining those two factors...

Folks should be prepared not to have immediate success as well. The fanbase has obviously been able to enjoy an incredible career of JB. Sometimes replacing a legend doesn't happen on the first shot. I am not going to judge JW on whether he finds another JB for Syracuse on the first try.

I mostly agree but there are also 30 or so jobs that pay better.

I imagine salary will be a significant factor in our next hire. Wildhack has great reverence for JB and I presume his opinion will be highly valued. Combining those two factors...
SU paid Dino market rate with his extension whomever we hire for basketball won’t be taking the JB discount I think we know that.

College hoops coaches don’t make the insane contracts college football coaches do.
Jay Wright makes 4.4 million.

I think our next higher will start at 2.5-3 million with room to grow.

In addition, if UW continued on the trajectory that Hop had them on previous to C19, it is doubtful that SU could or would match the amount of money that UW boosters would throw at him. If he is released by UW, SU should bring him back in some capacity, until JB retires, his proven.
Washington brings in less TV money than Syracuse.
ACC > P12 in TV revenue.
ACC > P12 in NCAAT credit money.

Washington doesn’t have the financial profitability in basketball that Syracuse has.

Washington football boosters don’t give a crap about hoops they let Lorenzo Romar stay on forever in hoops.
I don’t know where you come up with this.

Washington brings in less TV money than Syracuse.
ACC > P12 in TV revenue.
ACC > P12 in NCAAT credit money.

Washington doesn’t have the financial profitability in basketball that Syracuse has.

Washington football boosters don’t give a crap about hoops they let Lorenzo Romar stay on forever in hoops.
I don’t know where you come up with this.
There is plenty of money in Seattle to go around. If they rose to the top of the PAC12 and stayed there, moneyed interests would have come out to be part of the winning, that's how it works. And your opinion on Richard Pitino is very myopic as his best 20-30 years of coaching is ahead of him. Never the less, Hop is our man.

If you and Kent think that John Wildhack knows more about college basketball than Jim Boeheim, then your both out to lunch.
But, he likely knows more about hiring the right people to do a tough job. No real changes will come if the coach comes from within. It can’t. All they know is what JB taught. We are a boring, middle of the road program. That’s why our highs are euphoric: they are so unexpected.

It ain’t about the Xs and Os, it’s about the Jimmies and Joes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom