JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is plenty of money in Seattle to go around. If they rose to the top of the PAC12 and stayed there, moneyed interests would have come out to be part of the winning, that's how it works. And your opinion on Richard Pitino is very myopic as his best 20-30 years of coaching is ahead of him. Never the less, Hop is our man.
People say I talk with opinions as fact this sir is that on steroids.

Their is plenty of money in NYC. It doesn’t mean St. John’s can get it.
Seattle having money means nothing. You offer no support to your opinion.
Seattle is getting an expansion NHL team that is going to get a lot of those dollars.

Washington doesn’t care about hoops like they do football.
They are patient with hoops.
Plus Gonzaga is popular there.

Just like your weird fascination with calling Jimmy Boeheim “James” you do what others say I do but without support.

Honestly were do fans come up with this stuff ? I remember sitting in a Civics class in Maxwell listening to the professor and student rating SU to Yale and Harvard. I had a high school friend that went to Yale. SU isn't and wasn't in Yale's category. SU fans have a higher option of SU than people/fans across the country. And yes a outsider of a coach would leave for better $$$$ and opportunity. Go take a vacation across country and ask people about SU. You'll probably hear "they have a good basketball program", " Boheim is a jerk or Boheim is a good coach or he's been there forever". But you won't hear your opinion of SU unless you talk to a SU alum living there.

Now you seem to be conflating Syracuse University the academic institution with the SU basketball program. Their ratings and national standing are not related.
If Kentucky looks for new basketball coach and some student conflates an academic program with that of Harvard or Yale, does that make it a sensible discussion? I'm sorry but your argument is absurd and juvenile. I don't mean to be a d i c k but this is not that difficult of a concept. And my degrees are not from Syracuse University. I'm just a fan who grew up in the area.

People say I talk with opinions as fact this sir is that on steroids.

Their is plenty of money in NYC. It doesn’t mean St. John’s can get it.
Seattle having money means nothing. You offer no support to your opinion.
Seattle is getting an expansion NHL team that is going to get a lot of those dollars.

Washington doesn’t care about hoops like they do football.
They are patient with hoops.
Plus Gonzaga is popular there.

Just like your weird fascination with calling Jimmy Boeheim “James” you do what others say I do but without support.
St. Johns isn't the state university of New York and doesn't have a high level business school which UW is and does in Seattle. Just speculating here, but I would have to believe there is a large cadre of UW alumni at high positions at all of the major Seattle corporations. Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, etc., etc. They would get the money together if their program blossomed into a power. The reason I can't call James, Jimmy, is because that has been a name that Jim has been referred to by for a long time and I think the two men are quite a bit different. I think the son deserves the chance to be thought of as his own man, by his actions, he deserves that respect.

Last edited:
Izzo at Michigan State, Few at Gonzaga, Jay Wright at Nova, Williams at UNC, Matt Painter at Purdue, Greg Gard at Wisconsin, Brian Dutcher at San Diego State. Juwan Howard is off to a rousing start at Michigan. Our very own Jim Boeheim was the lead assistant at Syracuse when he took over the head job. There are plenty of excellent examples where staying in the family and hiring coaches with longtime program ties can pay huge dividends. You can have a seamless transition, especially with recruiting, and the program culture is already built. It’s such a specious argument that hiring a coach with program ties doesn’t usually work out. The first four examples, along with JB himself, are among the very best coaches in all of college basketball.
In addition, a successful coach with strong internal ties is less likely to leave for greener pastures. Consistency is a key to our success. An outsider will also cost us more in salary.

In addition, a successful coach with strong internal ties is less likely to leave for greener pastures. Consistency is a key to our success. An outsider will also cost us more in salary.

Nobody is leaving Syracuse if they are successful unless they are an alum of another school. Remember the 15 years of Jay Wright leaving Nova? Or Mark Few leaving Gonzaga? Thought so. This is not college football. You can win at more than 4 schools.

Last edited:
[/
If you always do what you’ve always done...

1. Mike Hopkins
2. Red Autry
That is the list.

So you are saying the question should be who should SU hire to replaced the fired Hop after 3 years post JB?

Washington brings in less TV money than Syracuse.
ACC > P12 in TV revenue.
ACC > P12 in NCAAT credit money.

Washington doesn’t have the financial profitability in basketball that Syracuse has.

Washington football boosters don’t give a crap about hoops they let Lorenzo Romar stay on forever in hoops.
I don’t know where you come up with this.
UW has much bigger boosters. Much.

UW has much bigger boosters. Much.
Football sure.
Those boosters don’t care about basketball.
Again their previous coach to Mike Hopkins went 6 years without making the NCAAT. If boosters cared about basketball no chance Romar gets that long a leash.
The boosters don’t care about basketball they are a football school.

Football sure.
Those boosters don’t care about basketball.
Again their previous coach to Mike Hopkins went 6 years without making the NCAAT. If boosters cared about basketball no chance Romar gets that long a leash.
The boosters don’t care about basketball they are a football school.
They wanted to give Romar every possible chance to succeed.

They wanted to give Romar every possible chance to succeed.
How do you know this?
You don’t know.
If boosters cared about Basketball they wouldn’t give him 6 consecutive years without making the tournament.

My staff prediction post JB.

Hop HC
Hart
GMac
Griff

Autry leaves in the next couple years for a HC job.

Hop HC
Hart
GMac
Griff

I can see that.

I'm not married to an all-alumni staff (although, it's kinda cool), but I can see that.

Hop HC
Hart
GMac
Griff

That better be the case. JB will have a lot of say and influence on the program when he retires. As he should.

That better be the case. JB will have a lot of say and influence on the program when he retires. As he should.
So, you've backed off on your "JB will make the next hire" mantra? Good to you.

So, you've backed off on your "JB will make the next hire" mantra? Good to you.

???

If Hopkins is the HC with that staff. JB would have had the influence. Get this straight JB is not retiring and moving to Key West. He will be around.

???
If Hopkins is the HC with that staff. JB would have had the influence. Get this straight JB is not retiring and moving to Key West. He will be around.
Well, let's start here and get this straight:

JB will hire the next HC. And he should not like he is retiring to Fort Lauderdale. He will be here in Syracuse courtside. Which is why regardless that Hopkins is struggling at UW he will be the next HC.
This is how College Basketball/Football Legendary HC business works in College sports towns like here. Same thing will happen at Duke Coach K will hire the next HC. Saban will hire the next HC for Alabama football. Just speaking locally here this is how it works here. JB is the biggest most powerful celebrity in Syracuse and CNY.
Bowden didn't go out they way and standing JB will go out winning wise, Joe Pa do we even have to discuss how he went out. Urban wasn't at Ohio state his entire career, Mack Brown same thing and he didn't go out on top. Saban if he retires at Alabama will, same with Coach K, and JB. And they should hire the next guy. Now am I saying JB is going to be in the room negotiating the next HC contract figures no of course not. But he will call interview and make the next HC hire pick. That guy doesn't matter if he continues to flop at UW it will still be Hopkins and that is the right choice.

???

And if you think he will be meddling with the program after he retires, ESPECIALLY if Hop gets the job, you really know nothing about JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom