jd's finest loses in kings of kings championship game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

jd's finest loses in kings of kings championship game

^good point and Jeter is a hall of famer...don't forget that...!

Lets take this to another level since we seem to have those who support Triche and those who tend to take the opposite view that he is just a role player. So, what are your expectations of Triche? Since I am on the positive side of the equation I am going all in:
12.5-14.5 pts
5-7 assts
4 bds
2 TOs

These are what I expect this year...and by the way..that makes Triche no worse than 2nd team all BE...so what do you think?
I'd guess more like 4 assists, but the other numbers seem reasonable. But keep in mind I'm just a vicious Triche super fan who knows nothing about the game.

Certainly not Jeter in his prime. I just don't know if he is the scorer some of us think he is or if he has that moxie for it. I hope you're right about James.

Certainly not Jeter in his prime. I just don't know if he is the scorer some of us think he is or if he has that moxie for it. I hope you're right about James.

I think the team's scoring distribution is going to be more about the other players than Triche. A lot depends on what the other players area capable of. If MCW, CJ, Southerland, Coleman, etc. bring it next year, then we aren't going to need one [or 2] players to bring it every game, and the scoring will be equally distributed as it has been the last three seasons.

Triche could average 11 points and still put together a great year, just like Scoop did last year--where his numbers came down across the board, but he was still a far more effective player.

My guess is that the team rises to the occasion, that we'll have similarly balanced scoring, that Triche averages a solid 12-14 PPG, and that he'll have a great senior year on a top 5 caliber team.

Lets take this to another level since we seem to have those who support Triche and those who tend to take the opposite view that he is just a role player.

I hate seeing statements like this for a couple of reasons:

1 - it implies that there are people on our wonderful site who don't support Triche. Everyone has their favorite Orange players and there are going to be plenty of good debates about them, but I'd like to assume that everyone one of us here SUPPORT every one of them. If we don't, we shouldn't even be here. However, perhaps this wasn't your intention and I am probably reading too much into it.

2 - it incorrectly relates someone supporting Triche with how they view his performance. By stating that the "opposite" view is Triche being a role player, you make the implication that you think that means those of us who think he is a role player do not support him. I assure you I can support Triche with all my Orange heart while also not believing he will be the superstar of the team or thinking he will go off this year.

I think people on both sides of this debate need to just stand back and realize we're all rooting for the guy, regardless of what we think his performance on the court will be. I see potential in Triche, but don't see him exploding in any way. I can tell you one thing though: I would absolutely love to eat crow on that and see senior improvements like we've seen in many others in the past.

Now, everybody sack up, hold hands, and walk over to the football board together where the real shnit is happening right now.

^good point and Jeter is a hall of famer...don't forget that...!

Lets take this to another level since we seem to have those who support Triche and those who tend to take the opposite view that he is just a role player. So, what are your expectations of Triche? Since I am on the positive side of the equation I am going all in:
12.5-14.5 pts
5-7 assts
4 bds
2 TOs

These are what I expect this year...and by the way..that makes Triche no worse than 2nd team all BE...so what do you think?

The assists are a little high. I expect Mike to get that number, and Brandon to be around 3 or so, maybe a little higher.

I think that all people are expecting from Brandon this year is kind of like what we got from Scoop last year - you don't have to be the best player on the floor, but you have to be the most composed, you have to be a leader, and you have to be willing to take and make a big shot. I think Brandon can do all of that.

To ask him to be your leading scorer every night might put too much pressure on him, but let him be one of the leading co-scorers, well we've had lots of teams be successful like that. Not a problem, and likely will be repeated this year, with a handful of guys between 10 and 15 ppg next year, as opposed to relying on one guy who averages more than 20.

It all sets up well for Brandon. We have a nice mix of players for next year. A lot of our success rides on Coleman being as good as we hope at center (10 ppg, 6-8 reb), which is asking a lot of a freshman, but I think he can do it, with that body he has.

And we need one killer outside shooter from the wing to balance the floor. That opens things up for the drivers, like CJ from the wing. Really gotta have either Southerland or Cooney be a guy who can make three 3's a game and stretch the defense, or break a zone.
I like the Scoop comparison. I think that is what is needed out of Brandon in terms of leadership, a composed player others can look up to.

As for the DC observations, I think this is another area where BT deserves some praise. The senior leader is out playing and feeding the Frosh center. Others have pointed out how good physically DC2 is looking. Hard to know how much of that is from BT's influence. But we do know his presence is there. BT has been doing the right things from a program perspective.

I'm going to side with Albany on this one. Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally Bilas makes some What statements on the landscape of college hoops. To me Triche is a nice college role player. Does a few things well but nothing very well. I may be in the minority but I like the game in Fayetteville. I do like the town quite a bit so I may be biased. Not a walk in the park at ALL. The guards will be tested and we've seen plenty of BT suffering and the whole going backwards/sideways/semi-circle routine vs good M2M...sigh.

Yeah, I more less fall in this camp. Triche is a nice player, but has too many limitations to ever be the stud people expect going into every season seemingly. He's consistent - but doesn't really excel in any area.

We were 32nd last year in scoring defense and 40th in scoring offense. Yet in this discussion of Triche, only his supporters have mentioned his defense as one of the things he does very well. I think that gets lost in this whole thing. He's much more than just a scoring machine. He does a lot of the little things right that basketball players really appreciate - leadership by example instead of just howling in your face and mugging for the cameras. And people like JB, who continue to start him despite having the 4th pick in the NBA draft sitting behind him. Seems like the supporters in this thread, myself included, would like to see a little more actual support for Brandon from his detractors.

We were 32nd last year in scoring defense and 40th in scoring offense. Yet in this discussion of Triche, only his supporters have mentioned his defense as one of the things he does very well. I think that gets lost in this whole thing. He's much more than just a scoring machine. He does a lot of the little things right that basketball players really appreciate - leadership by example instead of just howling in your face and mugging for the cameras. And people like JB, who continue to start him despite having the 4th pick in the NBA draft sitting behind him. Seems like the supporters in this thread, myself included, would like to see a little more actual support for Brandon from his detractors.
Eh, I always thought the people that built up his defensive skills were doing so when he was struggling offensively to compensate for those struggles. After awhile it took off into this BT is phenomenal at defense mythology. I don't see him as great defenisviely either - very competent though.

I don't see anyone calling him names, or making personal attacks, just stating an opinion that he's steady, and I'm not sure what's so wrong with that. We've had rotation players take much worse criticism on this board - not sure why everyone gets so bent out of shape by calling a player good, or decent, but not great.

It's awesome that so many have this unwavering belief that he's going to develop into something much, much, much more than what we've seen through 3 years - I always feel that way about Southerland - but I don't care that others don't see/expect it out of JS.

It's awesome that so many have this unwavering belief that he's going to develop into something much, much, much more than what we've seen through 3 years - I always feel that way about Southerland - but I don't care that others don't see/expect it out of JS.

This is the problem right here. I don't expect much, much, much more. That many muches would be a guaranteed first round pick. I never said I expected that. But I do expect he will be the leading scorer in a dozen or more games this year while quietly leading his team to another 30 wins. Heck, if Scoop can do it, why not Brandon?

And I expect great things from Southerland as well. He shows the same confidence issues that seem to have plagued BT early on at SU. I am hoping those issues are well behind him now and that he rebounds like a beast.

Triche fan here and still find it difficult to swallow that so many here are not positive on Triche. For example, regardless of emotion of floor; his being supposedly a step slower than needed; Triche is SOLID. Let's take a look back at the 37 games that counted last year...
  • Waiters, Scoop and Triche played the same # games
  • Presume each played equal minutes (even though Triche played at least 2 minutes less than Waiters and 3 minutes less than Scoop)
  • PPG: Waiters: 12.6; Triche 9.4Scoop 8.9;
  • RBG: Triche 2.5, Scoop 2.4; Waiters 2.3
  • ASST: Scoop 4.9, Triche 2.6; Watiers 2.5
  • FG%: Waiter .476; Scoop .474; Triche .422
  • 3pt %: Scoop .379; Waiter .363; Triche .350
  • FT%: Triche .775; Waiters .729; Scoop .551
*stats from ESPN team stats
So overall, these guys are just about the same on stats...I would say that Triche will get significantly more playing time than either Waiters or Scoop last year and therefore will contribute more statistically this year than last...now go ahead...make your beef!

I hate seeing statements like this for a couple of reasons:

1 - it implies that there are people on our wonderful site who don't support Triche. Everyone has their favorite Orange players and there are going to be plenty of good debates about them, but I'd like to assume that everyone one of us here SUPPORT every one of them. If we don't, we shouldn't even be here. However, perhaps this wasn't your intention and I am probably reading too much into it.

2 - it incorrectly relates someone supporting Triche with how they view his performance. By stating that the "opposite" view is Triche being a role player, you make the implication that you think that means those of us who think he is a role player do not support him. I assure you I can support Triche with all my Orange heart while also not believing he will be the superstar of the team or thinking he will go off this year.

I think people on both sides of this debate need to just stand back and realize we're all rooting for the guy, regardless of what we think his performance on the court will be. I see potential in Triche, but don't see him exploding in any way. I can tell you one thing though: I would absolutely love to eat crow on that and see senior improvements like we've seen in many others in the past.

Now, everybody sack up, hold hands, and walk over to the football board together where the real shnit is happening right now.

Good post, but it's directed at some who actually do have a history of supporting certain SU guys and rooting against others (odd as that may seem).

But it is important to point out that supporting Triche and thinking he's a role player are not mutually exclusive.

^i can buy that...if Triche is a role player this year...'Cuse may have a problem...not to take away from any other player of course.

^i can buy that...if Triche is a role player this year...'Cuse may have a problem...not to take away from any other player of course.

I think it could go that way but its Much more likely to go the other way. Because we have enough scoring weapons.
If Triche is more of a role player it will be because Fair, Southerland, Dajuan and probably our backcourt of MCW and Cooney stepped it up in scoring.

If MCW and/or Cooney don't step it up in scoring, then Triche is going to have to look to score more. So we will roll the dice more with him as a go to guy like his sophmore year then a roll player.

Reguardless I feel Triche has the potential to be a defensive leader in the likes of Andy.. He might not kill you in lock down as good as Andy, but he can be scrappy to the point of changing the outcome of a game when he wants to be. He also can get a hand out while extending, and has the body to bump on D, around screens, and to rebound. His biggest question of being a defensive leader is the hustle that can tire his intensity out with more minutes.

I think it could go that way but its Much more likely to go the other way. Because we have enough scoring weapons.
If Triche is more of a role player it will be because Fair, Southerland, Dajuan and probably our backcourt of MCW and Cooney stepped it up in scoring.

If MCW and/or Cooney don't step it up in scoring, then Triche is going to have to look to score more. So we will roll the dice more with him as a go to guy like his sophmore year then a roll player.

Reguardless I feel Triche has the potential to be a defensive leader in the likes of Andy.. He might not kill you in lock down as good as Andy, but he can be scrappy to the point of changing the outcome of a game when he wants to be. He also can get a hand out while extending, and has the body to bump on D, around screens, and to rebound. His biggest question of being a defensive leader is the hustle that can tire his intensity out with more minutes.

Triche will lead the team in minutes played and in scoring. He will also be the best defensive guard on the team as he was last season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Triche will lead the team in minutes played and in scoring. He will also be the best defensive guard on the team as he was last season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Even if he brought little to the team offensively next season, JB would play him big minutes because of his experience, ball handling and playmaking skills, and defensive ability. But he does bring quite a bit to the table offensively (a versatile, if somewhat inconsistent game, and excellent free throw shooting) which is why he is likely to end up leading this team in scoring.

A scoring machine?

A scoring machine?

My point was that many people on here seem to equate a players ability only to his scoring ability. I was not saying he was a scoring machine. I was saying he is more than just a scoring machine.

My point was that many people on here seem to equate a players ability only to his scoring ability. I was not saying he was a scoring machine. I was saying he is more than just a scoring machine.

I got called a "super fan" for saying Triche was a solid player. I'm not sure what this makes you. ;)

This is the problem right here. I don't expect much, much, much more. That many muches would be a guaranteed first round pick. I never said I expected that. But I do expect he will be the leading scorer in a dozen or more games this year while quietly leading his team to another 30 wins. Heck, if Scoop can do it, why not Brandon?

The bolded portion is just amusing for some reason...like Scoop was some random disabled kid. If Scoop can do it - anyone can!

The bolded portion is just amusing for some reason...like Scoop was some random disabled kid. If Scoop can do it - anyone can!

I'm glad someone caught that. I thought for sure I'd get more reaction out of that one. Scoop was one of the most infuriating guys I've ever watched play hoops. He certainly had his moments of driving me insane but he really had a nice season last year to cap off a very good career at SU.

By saying "he is more than just a scoring machine" is in fact calling him a scoring machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom