Jeff Tambroni | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Tambroni

X's and O's isn't the problem. It's the recruiting. Desko needs to reinvent himself like JB did when he got Troy Weaver. There is just no top shelf talent on the field.

If you have a bunch of ordinary players then you really need to function well as a team and I don't see it from this group or the past few seasons. They're not disciplined and don't make good decisions which is on the coach, but he allows his players freedom to create. He's very Boeheim-esque in that regard. Unfortunately that style of wide open iso type offense doesn't work well this group.

Personally I love a wide open run and gun game - Dino Babers on lax - so I'm a bit torn on Desko because I don't ever want to see a methodical style at Syracuse. Desko runs the style that I like. The game was meant to run and gun and get lots and lots of shots. I love aggressive defense but I don't want to rely on defense to win lacrosse games. If you do it means your offense stinks.

Lars Tiffany is a Lafayette guy and a guy who you could maybe sway to Syracuse in a couple of years. Chemotti at Richmond could be ready in a few more years; he's a Mike Messere and Mike Pressler disciple which is an interesting lax mix. Andy Shay could make the jump but I'm not a big fan of Yale's style even though Shay's a friend of mine.

I think Chemotti is a guy I could get behind if he keeps his current trajectory.

If Desko has a lifetime contract than he has to recruit better. If that means getting younger on the staff then that's what has to happen.

I agree that for the most part recruiting is the biggest issue. There are some x and o plus player development issues also. Where you really hit the nail on the head is the last paragraph. The staff consists of three 50-60 year old guys. They really need a young assistant on the staff that wants to hustle and move up. Not three guys that are comfortable. Comfortable isn't good in any sales job, and that is what recruiting is for all intents and purposes. I am not sure which coach you get rid of, but it needs to happen for the sake of recruiting.

I agree that for the most part recruiting is the biggest issue. There are some x and o plus player development issues also. Where you really hit the nail on the head is the last paragraph. The staff consists of three 50-60 year old guys. They really need a young assistant on the staff that wants to hustle and move up. Not three guys that are comfortable. Comfortable isn't good in any sales job, and that is what recruiting is for all intents and purposes. I am not sure which coach you get rid of, but it needs to happen for the sake of recruiting.

I didn’t want to go into a huge analysis :) but I definitely believe there are some development issues.

Your absolutely correct on the staff thing. That was my thought as well. I don't necessarily like the way young guys coach (no more fundamentals) but they'll connect better with the HS recruits.

(And I use ordinary loosely, they’re all really good players, they’re just not elite by today’s standards.)

Last edited:
Is my sarcasm detector broken? He's gone to 5 Final Fours & won 3 titles since the last of those players left.

Yes. Your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. If a successful coach hasn't won in 2 years, the fan base starts murmuring. (To be fair, my sarcasm was half-hearted. I have no love for Duke athletics).

Totally agree here. I just don't see the current recruiting strategy, (ie ...heavy reliance on transfers to bail us out year after year) being sustainable. Opposing coaches are probably telling potential recruits that you could lose a spot to an incoming transfer if you choose SU. At some point this is going to catch up to us.

Totally agree here. I just don't see the current recruiting strategy, (ie ...heavy reliance on transfers to bail us out year after year) being sustainable. Opposing coaches are probably telling potential recruits that you could lose a spot to an incoming transfer if you choose SU. At some point this is going to catch up to us.

I think it already has caught up. You look at this past season we brought in Grass and Orizatti's brother and neither one made it to the 1st game. Transfers can be a shot in the dark, we have lucked out in that a lot the ones we brought in have been successful but that streak was bound to hit some bumps. Nothing wrong with taking in a few transfers every year but we have been relying on them to much recently. You still need home grown talent so to speak.

Desko isnt going anywhere, love or hate him the next three recruiting classes are absolutely loaded. 2018 expecially. Matt Magnan and Griffin Cook will be top 10 or even top 5 players in the nation.

So those classes should complement his roll the ball out style of coaching

So those classes should complement his roll the ball out style of coaching
They better be able to roll the ball out there and play with them. He can't afford to miss on these classes again.

final four every spring was an easy sell. that's gone. now we gotta do some legwork.

final four every spring was an easy sell. that's gone. now we gotta do some legwork.

Not Desko's strong suit (see Thompsons to Albany)

Hey everyone I am new to posting, but I have been a long time reader.

I also do not believe Desko will be going anywhere. However I do believe that the staff needs to be shaken up. Lelan Rodgers has to go if our defense doesn't improve. For the past few years I have watched talented D poles come in and run a system that does not work. We slide way too early, and create shots for the other team. The best defenses in the nation rarely slide (Maryland). To me the loss to Army occured because our defense couldnt get a stop. (and obviously not having Ben Williams) I look back to Kevin Rice's senior year. That team was loaded offensively. The reason they lost to Hopkins was that the defense couldnt get a stop. Its hard to watch the slide come way to early and leave a man two passes away wide open.

I also do not believe Desko will be going anywhere. However I do believe that the staff needs to be shaken up. Lelan Rodgers has to go if our defense doesn't improve. For the past few years I have watched talented D poles come in and run a system that does not work. We slide way too early, and create shots for the other team. The best defenses in the nation rarely slide (Maryland). To me the loss to Army occured because our defense couldnt get a stop. (and obviously not having Ben Williams) I look back to Kevin Rice's senior year. That team was loaded offensively. The reason they lost to Hopkins was that the defense couldnt get a stop. Its hard to watch the slide come way to early and leave a man two passes away wide open.
Welcome aboard!! Solid insight, I agree with your thoughts on the overall defensive system these past few years. Please post more :)

And for the last few years the defense has had major problems with the slide packages. Always confused and a step late.

Seems they're very slow out of the gate to, not picking it up until later in the season. Which makes me wonder why? Poor developement?

Well, when we switched Lelan to defense some years ago, it worked out. Maybe we can switch him back. ;)

Just food for thought, could you imagine Ric Beardsley as a potential DC? Not sure he could make the leap straight from HS being CBA's current HC, or if he'd be a good fit but that'd be...um...interesting :cool:

Is it a final four or bust this season for Desko?

What would it take to call off the critics?

I know that there are no lifetime contracts and we live in a what have you done lately culture. It just makes me sad that Starsia is not going to be on the other sideline on Saturday. Things change and maybe Virginia made the right move. They have looked better but was it due to starsia making some ground on the recruiting trail? Is a Tiffany that much of an upgrade? We will never know. I thought Dom deserved better than he was given. Hugely was not his fault! If that was what it was why wait so long to can him? They have been down further than us lately. I think that they handled the firing so poorly in Charlottesville. Hope we never do that to Desko.

Maybe he missed on a few classes but it isn't like we have been completely irrelevant lately. Just not what our high standards dictate. I hope Desko turns it around as he has done in the past.

If we were any other program would one loss create a thread for a new coach given what he has done in the past five years. Nevermind what he did in the glory period.

Best UVA!

How many FF's did they make?

I'd respond by how many final fours did Desko's lazy recruitment of the Thompsons cost SU?

I'd respond by how many final fours did Desko's lazy recruitment of the Thompsons cost SU?
I'm not sure you know the details of the Thompsons not coming to SU, outside of what they've said publicly, but it's in the past & has already been discussed ad nauseum.

I'm not sure you know the details of the Thompsons not coming to SU, outside of what they've said publicly, but it's in the past & has already been discussed ad nauseum.

Bingo, SU didn't recruit them lightly it was a whole saga and decisions were made right or wrong.

Bingo, SU didn't recruit them lightly it was a whole saga and decisions were made right or wrong.
&, as you stated, our attack was certainly not lacking with Rice, Donahue, & Staats.

gotta start off by saying, the early slides on defense kill me. that's all I seem to find myself watching for when we are on defense is how unnecessary slides cost us. now, as for desko and the recruiting, I think the game has changed on him and he has been slow to adjust. he used to be able to take whoever he wanted because the best players were right in his back yard. now central new York high school lacrosse isn't head and shoulders above everyone else anymore. I do think he is starting to adjust and do a better job though and I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

gotta start off by saying, the early slides on defense kill me. that's all I seem to find myself watching for when we are on defense is how unnecessary slides cost us. now, as for desko and the recruiting, I think the game has changed on him and he has been slow to adjust. he used to be able to take whoever he wanted because the best players were right in his back yard. now central new York high school lacrosse isn't head and shoulders above everyone else anymore. I do think he is starting to adjust and do a better job though and I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

The early slides are/were a big problem. SU has to be better timed with their slides, to often were sliding on a guy for no reason who has no path to the goal and no shot to score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom