Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 95 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
well put it this way: Jesse wont win a championship next year no matter what team he is on.

his biggest problem is between the ears and that's where he is not championship material, imo...and thats not changing with a bag or with calipari or duke fluffing him up.

Carmelo did it pretty well, didn't he???

how was Jesse supposed to (as a 4th year senior no less) ? well ask JB who ran the offense through Jesse all ACC conf sched...despite him being quite erratic. ...for a team that barely busted 500

Jesse will have worse stats next year if he goes to a top program 100% guaranteed and it wont get him anywhere closer to the NBA, either.

There isn't a team in the NCAA that would give him a better chance of development than SU...but think what you want.
He is going to go to a top program, that's already baked in the cake. Personally, I hope he goes to WV with Huggy and they win the title.

I mean are we going off of last year or going into next year? Like I’d had Taken Edwards over Clingan this year but at the same time if he a play a full starting role all season just how good is he by now? I’m not taking Soriano over Edwards but about the rest in that list I am, as well as Pj Hall of Clemson, Carlson of Utah, Timme of Gonzaga, Trayce-Davis of Indiana. In a ball park people are gonna give or take so I’d guess it would be around 15th but he’s definitely between 10-20. The notion that Edwards so crazy efficient is way overblown. He was 25th in the nation in FG% and that’s without stretching the floor like multiple of the other centers listed do, and are stil able to maintain around the same, and a few even better FG% than Edwards.

This is not to Knock Jesse by any means. being a top 10-15 center in the country is no easy feat obviously.

Fair enough - I agree there’s a lot of give / take depending on the style of play and how you define a center in the game today. There are 350+ starting centers, so the opportunity to get one that’s top 5-10% is enticing and is driving up his value disproportionately.

Explain the "not allowed to". If Weitsman wanted to give the 315 Collective $500K today, they'd refuse?
Adam said it himself. The University wanted him to go low key. He said he can't go low key. No one complained about the deals he was doing with current student athletes. He can certainhy continue doing that but chose not to.

He wants to stay.

His father wants him to chase NIL $$$.

Jesse doesn't want to throw his father under the bus during the interview.
Jesse is 22 years old, a graduate (or soon to be a graduate) from Syracuse with a technical background in biotechnology. I do not care who is influencing him.

He is responsible for his own decisions and he made the one to enter the transfer portal and will play for another team other than Syracuse.

As others have stated good luck in the portal and I will add thank you for the time where you have played for Syracuse.

There is letter of the law and spirit of the law. Just ask George Brett. NCAA regulations state that boosters cannot be involved in recruiting. NCAA regulations state that an NIL deal cannot be contingent on attendance at a specific institution. So a six or seven deal brokered by a booster with a HS player that does not specify what college that player must attend conforms with the letter of the law. But when you state the player must live and perform regular service within the 315 or 607 area codes, does ot violate the spirit? Compound that with the NCAA saying it no longer requires a smoking gun to initiate an investigation, merely the appearance of impropriety.

Will there ever be meaningful enforcement? No one really knows at this point, but SU is taking a conservative stance. It may or may not turn out to be a wise decision.
I get it. SU is being conservative. And for a school that has twice been on probation with a HOF head coach that had over 100 wins taken away from him, there probably is reason to be conservative, even though what SU was accused of doing in the past is nothing compared to what is being done now in NIL world. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy that Jesse Edwards' dad already presumably knows that his son will make more NIL money at other specific schools where it has been presumably promised to him that he will get that money if he plays for said specific schools.

In my opinion, you cannot read the current NCAA regulations for boosters (written at and for a different time when NIL did not exist) as being directly applicable to the current NIL world. There is not one NIL deal, even the ones that SU is currently brokering with our collective, that are not in spirit contingent on attendance at a specific institution, including SU. So if SU is really worried about being conservative and really wants to avoid even violating the spirit of the law, they should just get out of the NIL business altogether and be safe yet also suck at every sport we play.

like leaving a job for for more money, grass is not always greener and a lot of folks end up regretting it. personally think a long term view would be better for him as he knows his role at SU, the players and would have put up massive numbers. Big risk IMO for future pro payday, not to mention long term education and general happiness.

Compound that with the NCAA saying it no longer requires a smoking gun to initiate an investigation, merely the appearance of impropriety. Will there ever be meaningful enforcement? No one really knows at this point, but SU is taking a conservative stance. It may or may not turn out to be a wise decision.
And once there is an "appearance of impropriety" - for NCAA this could include things like... social media posts, videos, interviews with bloggers, lavish and deliberately public perks, or "common sense" - the NCAA has assumed the "right" to presume that the university is guilty and that the burden of proof falls to the university to prove otherwise.

As you said, whether there will ever be meaningful enforcement of that stance, and whether that stance would also stand up to legal scrutiny under a lawsuit, is a different debate. SU is not willing to assume that risk.

You seem to take way too much pleasure in the potential misfortunes of others.

All my friends do that.

f104e25d-8806-46b5-9469-a349f5a97d05_text.gif

Fair enough - I agree there’s a lot of give / take depending on the style of play and how you define a center in the game today. There are 350+ starting centers, so the opportunity to get one that’s top 5-10% is enticing and is driving up his value disproportionately.
Yeah that’s how I looked at it too. Fit is a huge thing obviously too like some had mentioned , there isn’t a school, if not many that will utilize and maximize Jesse’s skill set like we did.
A lot of these guys could rise and fall in the rankings depending on fit and such.

Your last point really hits it though, it’s very hard to find a good one, so the good one that are out there are getting muchobucko.

I’ll bite - name 10-20 centers that are better.
hes a good scorer, above average big man passer and rim protector. Hes a good college center.

My point is Syracuse’s system, whether unique to JB or not, often puts forwards and big men in a position to play to their strengths.

How often do you see a Syracuse player transfer and perform better at the next destination?

I dont think Jesse will have the same production elsewhere, but we’ll see.

hes a good scorer, above average big man passer and rim protector. Hes a good college center.

My point is Syracuse’s system, whether unique to JB or not, often puts forwards and big men in a position to play to their strengths.

How often do you see a Syracuse player transfer and perform better at the next destination?

I dont think Jesse will have the same production elsewhere, but we’ll see.
Rebounding, he is one of the top re-bounders in the country. Huge, huge value.

Adam said it himself. The University wanted him to go low key. He said he can't go low key. No one complained about the deals he was doing with current student athletes. He can certainhy continue doing that but chose not to.
Well, there you have it.

So when people incessantly ask "why does it matter?!" when discussing his self-promotion, there's why it matters. He primarily cares about self promotion, everything else is secondary.

I just want to point out that our Chancellor has a law background, and clerked for Sandra Day O'Connor. I think he probably has a pretty good grasp on where we could get into trouble, more so than other institutions, and is putting his legal mind to work for the benefit of SU. I want to operate in the grey areas of the NIL, but I don't want to be that school that is the one that they use to set the example. So we wait for the hammer to drop on others, and things to be better defined.

We all cheered for Jesse, he made our team better and he represented the university very well in his time here. We watched him develop and improve each year here into a player other teams covet now. Wish he’d stayed and saw this transition through but it’s classless, childish and hypocritical to rip on his game, his development because he made a decision that we know has hurt us. If demeaning his game makes a person feel better, it’s always a bad look. He’s sadly a disappointing loss, he may end up regretting his decision but he and we will get through this crazy era in college sports somehow. Money always brings it’s own large set of problems

I get it. SU is being conservative. And for a school that has twice been on probation with a HOF head coach that had over 100 wins taken away from him, there probably is reason to be conservative, even though what SU was accused of doing in the past is nothing compared to what is being done now in NIL world. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy that Jesse Edwards' dad already presumably knows that his son will make more NIL money at other specific schools where it has been presumably promised to him that he will get that money if he plays for said specific schools.

In my opinion, you cannot read the current NCAA regulations for boosters (written at and for a different time when NIL did not exist) as being directly applicable to the current NIL world. There is not one NIL deal, even the ones that SU is currently brokering with our collective, that are not in spirit contingent on attendance at a specific institution, including SU. So if SU is really worried about being conservative and really wants to avoid even violating the spirit of the law, they should just get out of the NIL business altogether and be safe yet also suck at every sport we play.
That seems like an overreaction, particularly your last sentence. It sounds like Jesse decided he wanted more than Syracuse the collectives were willing to pay, which seems like good business considering they still need to make roster/NIL decisions with other players.

I just want to point out that our Chancellor has a law background, and clerked for Sandra Day O'Connor. I think he probably has a pretty good grasp on where we could get into trouble, more so than other institutions, and is putting his legal mind to work for the benefit of SU. I want to operate in the grey areas of the NIL, but I don't want to be that school that is the one that they use to set the example. So we wait for the hammer to drop on others, and things to be better defined.
That is a very sensible take and I completely get your point. I'm sure many here would agree. I'm just sick and tired of watching other programs operate in ways that get them ahead while we wait for this "hammer" to drop. I mean, after the whole FBI thing, NC having fake classes, etc. It just gets old. I'd rather take some chances, as long as they aren't egregious. Also, I'm sure the chancellor's law background is an asset to him, but everyone has a different level of tolerance for risk. I get the feeling that his comfort level is probably low, which again, might be best.

Nailed it.

Jesse should follow the advice of his fellow Scandinavian rock stars, and listen to his heart.

Holland is part of Scandinavia? ;)

Hmmm... "player to be named later" sorta thing? :p

He was not great - great players don't have single digit scoring in 6 games and have 10 in 2 others. That is 25% of our games where he couldn't generate double digit points. That is not great. He is a good player who's numbers were hiked by playing on a bad team. Someone has to get rebounds and score when others on the team cannot. His loss is being felt because of the timing, but he is not irreplaceable
He would have had plenty more if the coach made sure he got the ball. jesse was under utilized

I bet NCAA was lining up to do some sort of investigation on AW and drag school into it
I wish they did. With all the other garbage going on nationwide I'd tell the NCAA to go screw

Professional athletes have agents and publicists to advise them. Edwards doing that interview was a massive mistake on his part.
Is this new? I only saw the statement from his father. I stopped following this with the same interest I had when it happened initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom