Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably saw plenty of guys who played good defense but stunk on offense(Cooney, Howard) get complained about because they played every minute here.

Girard is merely the inverse of that. He is a good scorer, but he stinks on defense.

JJ was a better as a freshman than Girard was. Will he as a soph be better than a 5th year senior Girard? We’ll see. Seems like it’s worth taking a shot at though because he looks to have the potential to play both ends and contribute across the board. What are we clinging to? We ranged from awful-mediocre with Girard playing all the time.
I would think JJ is a much better defender, probably not spot up shooter but assume he can get more deflections, steals, better passer and driver. Girard would be great as a 6th man to score if needed.

Let me say this about Weitsman. He's got a business humming that prints almost unlimited money for him. But at one of his "Profound" events, he and Jeff Knauss were talking about investing in crypto and non-fungible tokens. So, I'm voting that he's either not that smart and got lucky in his business, or he's a huckster who chases the latest shiny object in order to separate people from their money.
He strikes me as a savvy guy who did some real work to grow his Dad's business regionally and build an immense amount of wealth.

He's also a NYC art dealer type at his core who understands the value of brand and marketing. He's used said wealth to buy influence digitally, and has translated that to the real world.

Let's be real, most of the digital economy is hucksterism at its core, and he's good at it. I don't fault him for it.

As an aside about AW. I was at a sectional game in Cuse last month and he was in the student section taking in the praise of the high schoolers. It wasn’t a great look in my opinion.

Best thing that could happen for Cuse in the upcoming season is basketball finds a way to be better than solid. Cuse replaces his suite door with something less cringey. AW loses some celebrity and he will come crawling back. They always do.

So what happens to Elijah Moore now?

He goes somewhere else.
By the time Red is done recruiting this class, it seems like we're going to have 6 or 7 guards, anyway.
It's one thing to have all guards on a coaching staff, but it doesn't work so well in games.

Let me say this about Weitsman. He's got a business humming that prints almost unlimited money for him. But at one of his "Profound" events, he and Jeff Knauss were talking about investing in crypto and non-fungible tokens. So, I'm voting that he's either not that smart and got lucky in his business, or he's a huckster who chases the latest shiny object in order to separate people from their money.

He's a businessman and a human being. He obviously saw SU as a vessel to become a public figure. Sometimes that need doesn't work within the rubric of what SU wants in their representation courtside.

He sounds like he's taking his ball and going home vs the anonymous collective route. As I said upthread, he should just donate to the school's athletic dept and see if they'll build something in his name so he can have the perpetuity of having something that is tactile in his name.

Well clearly there was no backup plan. Adam pulls out, and Jesse instantly leaves?

That’s fine if we don’t want to blame Kent for not wanting to associate with Adam. But the deeper concern is how we apparently didn’t have enough NIL money without Adam to keep our starting center. Is that on Kent? I’m not sure. But the NIL efforts clearly to ramp up
Why is it on Kent?

Weitsman is clear to fund things the university has in place. Seems like he doesn't want to. That's a choice.

Since there has been a lot of talk here about NIL, I wanted to pass along something...I spoke with Adam W. this morning.
1681227104665.gif

Surely we have some deep-pocketed alums who can be convinced to care about sports. Dick Clark's kids? Betsey Johnson? Taye Diggs?

Well clearly there was no backup plan. Adam pulls out, and Jesse instantly leaves?

That’s fine if we don’t want to blame Kent for not wanting to associate with Adam. But the deeper concern is how we apparently didn’t have enough NIL money without Adam to keep our starting center. Is that on Kent? I’m not sure. But the NIL efforts clearly to ramp up
I don't think AW backing out is linked to Jesse suddenly in the portal. I think one poster said that Jesse has a Nil offer from Syracuse and that an external party had some outreach with his dad and more money was offered. Now if AW was still in play he could maybe counter but I don't think AW caused Jesse to enter.

We’ve been so irrelevant that this isn’t even news on CBB Twitter
Why would this be news? Why would anyone else give a chit about a Syracuse booster throwing the chancellor under the bus. To quote Dino this is "family business" no one outside the program gives a damn.

And that really is the issue. We are losing our starting center because we can't provide the NIL money that another school obviously can while simultaneously saying goodbye to AW. Are those two facts related, maybe/maybe not but what is clear is that SU has some work to do and I am afraid that Red is going to be behind the eight ball for a while here.

Explain the "not allowed to". If Weitsman wanted to give the 315 Collective $500K today, they'd refuse?

Weitsman wants the publicity. He wants to be World Wide Wes. He wants the celebrity.
SU doesn't want "Showtime", apparently. We want a nice little Patriot League team like Colgate.
That's who we aspire to be now. I already went to 2 colleges where the sports don't matter. Now, the college team that I follow simply surrenders. I just can't watch anymore.

So it sounds like we would benefit from an Elite Men's Basketball Player Collective, where all the money donated goes to the best one or two players. That would be to supplement a mega booster making deals. Being a basketball power will help everything else. And there's a sector of people who would donate to keep a guy like Jesse but wouldn't donate to a general fund that gets dispersed to a bunch of unknown players competing in sports that the person doesn't follow.
Pay the guys who control the game: PG, QB, OL, DL.

Whether the Chancellor likes it or not NIL is a part of the business of big time college athletics going forward. I sure hope the Chancellor has specific reasons for pushing away someone who has the ability to help us compete in the arena of NIL more effectively.
I’m disappointed. I don’t think it’s good business to push away any of these relationships with wealthy donors. you’d think the chancellor would know how to be diplomatic about this stuff instead of getting into arguments with an influential booster. If there were issues with the public nature of the deals, then it should have been an ongoing discussion to try to get him to see the dangers and to ask him to be more circumspect.

People, if your hope was getting one rich garbageman billionaire to support the program indefinitely, then you were delusional to begin with. SU can’t play in this arena. A lot of other programs can’t either. It’s okay. We will be a mid tier program most likely. Maybe BC. Who knows. I don’t like it, but this shouldn’t be a surprise if you’re not delusional.

How about not pushing out said millionaire who loves SU and is spendign his money to support the school with desperately needed NIL money. Were not Dartmouth or Cornell or Johns Hopkins, people want to win games not go up 5 spots in the US news and rankings that 8 people care about. The SU administration again couldn't leave well enough alone.

Surely we have some deep-pocketed alums who can be convinced to care about sports. Dick Clark's kids? Betsey Johnson? Taye Diggs?

Those aren't the names who will be writing the 7 figure checks. It's the Bain Capital guys, Fidelity PMs that move needles.

Unfortunately for us Duke has oodles of these guys, we have very few since our business school pales in comparison to the ACC big boys. That's why I keep saying increase the demand for high quality students to come to SU so they can be in position to donate down the line. Kent wants SU to be a top 30 university not a school where some donor sits courtside with rappers and football players

As an aside about AW. I was at a sectional game in Cuse last month and he was in the student section taking in the praise of the high schoolers. It wasn’t a great look in my opinion.

Best thing that could happen for Cuse in the upcoming season is basketball finds a way to be better than solid. Cuse replaces his suite door with something less cringey. AW loses some celebrity and he will come crawling back. They always do.
Andrew tate gets praise from high schoolers... Not exactly a crowd rife with real-world understanding

And that really is the issue. We are losing our starting center because we can't provide the NIL money that another school obviously can while simultaneously saying goodbye to AW. Are those two facts related, maybe/maybe not but what is clear is that SU has some work to do and I am afraid that Red is going to be behind the eight ball for a while here.

If we can't use online publicity to try to recruit players, then we're DEAD. Face it.
Dead as a Dead Parrot, a dead Norwegian Blue. But just look at that plumage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom