Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can’t people say it’s about money? Same with the Liv golfers, just say it was about the cash, it’s ok, everyone on this board would do the same thing too.
Right. People see through the B.S. Just say you love money, just like everyone else. People do this dance to say what they think is acceptable. I prefer straightforward people.

Hope Jesse goes somewhere that has a chance to play for a championship , that wasn't going to happen next year at Syracuse.

When I said geography I meant kids will still want to play close to home. Clingan was from Ct and stayed close. Marcus Camby stayed close to Hartford and got paid at umass

You guys are all crazy. It’s hold your nose season in all college sports but some kids will still want to play in front of family most of the time
I wasn’t referring to your posts. My response was about SUFTW’s nonsense.

There's a lot of posters in this thread that aren't reading the salient posts and just coming in hot with uninformed takes.

I mean, I get that 60+ pages in about a day is a lot, but still... View attachment 226952
I’ll sum it all up for you in 1 Hot Salient Take:

Because of covid and the NIL, a marginal player was granted an extra free year of college…one in which he will inexplicably make more $$, than he would’ve had he gone pro.

If we remove the emotion of Syracuse and their crappy player who got the $$ from it, one can see that this is a real big problem for the NC2A.

Professional athletes have agents and publicists to advise them. Edwards doing that interview was a massive mistake on his part.
That's OK, he is at the right age to make mistakes and learn. Part of the growing process for young adults. It must have been very hard for him to do the interview. I think whatever he decides to do he has the tools to have a nice life.

That's OK, he is at the right age to make mistakes and learn. Part of the growing process for young adults. It must have been very hard for him to do the interview. I think whatever he decides to do he has the tools to have a nice life.
That's fine, but if he thinks the vast majority of our fans were going to still be fans of him after doing that interview he's terribly mistaken.

Hope Jesse goes somewhere that has a chance to play for a championship , that wasn't going to happen next year at Syracuse.
As a Cuse fan, did I want jesse back? yes. Would I have been excited that he would come back? yes

BUT

there's a lot of reasons hes not on NBA draft lists - he's a very limited player with key deficiencies in his game:

namely:

- cant shoot a jump shot in games
- cant score from more than 5 feet out
- struggles with physicality
- struggles passing out of double team
- low Bball IQ
- either fouls out quicky or plays matador defense
- slow feet

you cant teach height and he gets good numbers on rebounds blocks and points (mostly)

I hope his replacement is a real basketball player not just a tall coordinated guy who recently picked up the sport and likes to eat stroodle all summer

your comment seems to imply that Jesse is a hampionship level player but his teammates weren't - I disagree strongly.

the offense ran through Jesse last year and it didnt work. He was given a lot of responsibility to carry the team and he couldnt. bottomline he didnt live up to his potential and I understand why people are not happy he portaling bit there are a lot of centers out there that might be better in terms of winning even if they dont have the same stats as Jesse, imo. IMO Jesse has no "dog in him" as the kids like to say these days ...and thats what the team needs.

As a Cuse fan, did I want jesse back? yes. Would I have been excited that he would come back? yes

BUT

there's a lot of reasons hes not on NBA draft lists - he's a very limited player with key deficiencies in his game:

namely:

- cant shoot a jump shot
- cant score from more than 5 feet out
- struggles with physicality
- struggles passing out of double team
- low Bball IQ
- either fouls out quicky or plays matador defense
- slow feet

you cant teach height and he gets good numbers on rebounds blocks and points (mostly)

I hope his replacement is a real basketball player not just a tall coordinated guy who recently picked up the sport and likes to eat stroodle all summer

your comment seems to imply that Jesse is a hampionship level player but his teammates weren't - I disagree strongly.

the offense ran through Jesse last year and it didnt work. He was given a lot of responsibility to carry the team and he couldnt. bottomline he didnt live up to his potential and I understand why people are not happy he portaling bit there are a lot of centers out there that might be better in terms of winning even if they dont have the same stats as Jesse, imo. IMO Jesse has no "dog in him" as the kids like to say these days ...and thats what the team needs.

Jesse has a jump shot out to 8 ft roughly. It just wasn't featured. His bball iq is most certainly not low and he did pretty well passing out of the post and double teams this year given it was the first year he saw it regularly. The rest is mostly accurate to an extent.

He wants to act like a professional athlete, he can be critiqued like one.

That was a lousy interview and I hope whatever dollar signs were flashed at him will be contractual obligations because he’s not a top 10 center, probably not a top 20. If anything, Syracuse gets the most out of the talent it has. The grass isn’t always greener, I hope he’s not a spender.

Jesse has a jump shot out to 8 ft roughly. It just wasn't featured. His bball iq is most certainly not low and he did pretty well passing out of the post and double teams this year given it was the first year he saw it regularly. The rest is mostly accurate to an extent.

I would add, my frustration watching his games. His high % came partially from all the dunks. If you watch the last 1/3 of the season especially. Every (almost) game he missed a lot of easy, at the rim shots. If you take away his dunks I wonder what his shooting % would be. I’m not talking about the 2-3 that someone overreacts about every player missing. Consistently missed easy shots and put backs.

When I said geography I meant kids will still want to play close to home. Clingan was from Ct and stayed close. Marcus Camby stayed close to Hartford and got paid at umass

You guys are all crazy. It’s hold your nose season in all college sports but some kids will still want to play in front of family most of the time
I don't think people were talking about your post, I know I wasn't. And yes, geography as far as playing close to home is or at least was 10 years ago, #1 reason for choosing a school on recruiting models.

Everyone's saying Jesse isn't very good, but the truth is he was a great center for us and he's just scratching the surface of his potential. He could really add to his game next year. It does remain to be seen, however, whether Jesse's a good m2m defender. It's a big loss unless we get Dickinson.

I would add, my frustration watching his games. His high % came partially from all the dunks. If you watch the last 1/3 of the season especially. Every (almost) game he missed a lot of easy, at the rim shots. If you take away his dunks I wonder what his shooting % would be. I’m not talking about the 2-3 that someone overreacts about every player missing. Consistently missed easy shots and put backs.

He is a very good finisher with great touch going up off the glass or that little baby half hook too.

Everyone's saying Jesse isn't very good, but the truth is he was a great center for us and he's just scratching the surface of his potential. He could really add to his game next year. It does remain to be seen, however, whether Jesse's a good m2m defender. It's a big loss unless we get Dickinson.
I don't think anyone is saying Jesse isn't very good outside of Kaiser, but he definitely wasn't worth the money his family asked for.

It will be funny if he got swindled by another school and we fill his spot.

He wants to act like a professional athlete, he can be critiqued like one.

That was a lousy interview and I hope whatever dollar signs were flashed at him will be contractual obligations because he’s not a top 10 center, probably not a top 20. If anything, Syracuse gets the most out of the talent it has. The grass isn’t always greener, I hope he’s not a spender.
I’ll bite - name 10-20 centers that are better.

Edit: I’ll start.

Edey, Sanogo, Clingan, Dickinson, Tshiebwe, Tubelis…Edwards

You can argue for Bacot, Soriano, Kalkbrenner, Nunge, Dante, etc. but Edwards was just so damn efficient.

Last edited:
Jesse is a very good college center. Full stop. I hate reading these broadsides against his game now that he's gone. I'm sure he'll do well wherever he lands.

I hope the extra money is worth leaving a place he loves. I suspect he'll have some regrets when that money is gone -- and let's be real, the extra that he'll be getting over what SU offered is not life changing money. It'll be gone quickly.

Jesse is a very good college center. Full stop. I hate reading these broadsides against his game now that he's gone. I'm sure he'll do well wherever he lands.

I hope the extra money is worth leaving a place he loves. I suspect he'll have some regrets when that money is gone -- and let's be real, the extra that he'll be getting over what SU offered is not life changing money. It'll be gone quickly.
I think you underestimate how hard it is to fit into a system in 1 year. He’s probably a 10-8 guy depending on where he goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom