JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

I'm going on record to declare that JJ will be an excellent 3-point shooter for us this season. Playing off the ball in his second collegiate year will help. Judah will shoot well too.

3-point shooting seems like the glaring issue on this roster, but it'll turn out totally fine. It won't be what we try to do, but we'll be able to do it.

I'm going on record to declare that JJ will be an excellent 3-point shooter for us this season. Playing off the ball in his second collegiate year will help. Judah will shoot well too.

3-point shooting seems like the glaring issue on this roster, but it'll turn out totally fine. It won't be what we try to do, but we'll be able to do it.

Biggest need will be for him to make the open 3 especially if Judah returns. It will be there and he should be a good 40 pct or better on open 3s and 35 pct roughly overall from deep. If both of those are better then great. There would be a little wiggle room there too depending on how well the others shoot it.

He has that in his bag so it's a fair "expectation" at least.

the staff is extremely high on JJ. not that i'm breaking any news or anything.

Give him the chance to get out and run, to take advantage of his ability to go north south and finish well at the rim, get open 3s in rhythm, and he will look like a different player than he did last year.

ND was 304th in Tempo per Ken Pom last year. That's oil and water with a player like JJ

I agree that Starling should shoot the 3 well next year. He has the skill. … And I know he has other limitations right now, but Bell can become an elite shooter. You need a sniper on the roster and I think he can be that. He shot the 3 really well for a freshman.

I agree that Starling should shoot the 3 well next year. He has the skill. … And I know he has other limitations right now, but Bell can become an elite shooter. You need a sniper on the roster and I think he can be that. He shot the 3 really well for a freshman.
Absolutely. I think he's elite from 3 this year. And I think he'll rebound and do other things better to stay on the floor, although I have no idea what his m2m looks like. He's athletic enough, but I think JB said Bell and JT can't guard anyone, so that will be a hurdle, especially if Judah comes back and Bell doesn't start. In that situation, Bell's the sixth man and I think he could excel in that role, coming in to give shooting.

Screenshot_20230524-210925_Instagram.jpg

JB works have told him to go home, too many muscles hurts your shooting.

I'm getting more and more happy for the coaching change.
JB didn’t ever discourage players from working out. JJ is doing it on his own, he’s totally motivated. Buddy did weight work all the time too. Some players take it to heart, other’s don’t and others have issues gaining the weight to make weight training work for them. Arinze, Battle, Hughes, Wallace, Coleman, Cooney, Melo etc all transformed themselves. Be happy for the coaching change but motivation to follow through is and always has been on the players.

JB didn’t ever discourage players from working out. JJ is doing it on his own, he’s totally motivated. Buddy did weight work all the time too. Some players take it to heart, other’s don’t and others have issues gaining the weight to make weight training work for them. Arinze, Battle, Hughes, Wallace, Coleman, Cooney, Melo etc all transformed themselves. Be happy for the coaching change but motivation to follow through is and always has been on the players.
Fair enough... I was making a joke, mostly, based on JB's reported comment about muscles and shooting.

If you are a Division 1 athlete (heck, any college athlete) then you are working out regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom