Joe Giglio out of NC just tweeted | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Giglio out of NC just tweeted

51SSRTPZ39L._SY445_.jpg

Because our alumni base is so scattered throughout the east coast (mostly) and so many former cuse locals have moved to Florida (and Carolina) I hope Wildhacks team is doing a study that disproves this myth that we won’t travel as well as NCST to an Orlando game.

We have 20k DIEHARD fans in ‘Cuse salivating for a warm, easy location to see the best team in 20 yrs and we probably have another 20k spread throughout Carolina, Florida, Virginia etc that are dying for the same.

There will be no way to measure it ex-post but I would bet a mortgage payment that we would sell more tickets than NCST.

Last edited:
The two win rule precludes the Gator from choosing Miami over Syracuse, doesn't it?

Good question, Tom. Not sure why that hasn’t been raised.

root for Texas this weekend to be safe, because honestly, what the guy says makes some sense. they may want NC State if ISU is the Camping World opponent. that would not shock me. it would be stupid and unfair, but it wouldn't shock me. if WVU is the rep from the Big 12 we are a shoe in for Camping World

I don't believe Texas beating OU will help. Ohio State goes to CFP, Michigan goes to Rose, Texas to the Sugar and OU falls to #10 and they get the Fiesta.

Georgia beating Alabama and OU beating Texas would help since it ensures the Top 4 will remain the same, just in a different order, OU goes to the Sugar and Texas to the Alamo.

OSU and OU both winning but with the Buckeyes leapfrogging the Sooners would also likely result in the same.

Cheers,
Neil

The two win rule precludes the Gator from choosing Miami over Syracuse, doesn't it?

Believe this only applies to the Camping World Bowl and not the Tier 1 bowls since there is no selection order.

I’m not worried. Camping World is a good bowl but is it really that much better than Tier 1 bowls? As long as we don’t get Pinstripe I’m good. I think we will go to Orlando still and NC St to gator instead of a 7-5 Big Ten team. Reading the tea leaves if a surprise occurs Sunday I think it’s us to the Sun Bowl. Projections have Sun taking BC or UVA, so we’d beat them out for sure. At 9-3 we can go to any Tier 1 bowl we wish, Sun being the best. Sun is on par with Camping imo and the matchups and tv exposure is far better. Only disappointment with Sun is for those who planned on traveling for the game.

Believe this only applies to the Camping World Bowl and not the Tier 1 bowls since there is no selection order.
Looks like you are right. So the Gator people would rather have a 7-5 Miami team against a 6-5, soon to be 7-5 South Carolina team instead of a 9-3 Syracuse team against an 8-4 Texas A&M team, where both teams are ranked?

Our reputation for buying tickets must be awful.

It may be but here’s the rub. We have serious pent up demand for being bad for so long. There’s no way to prove that to the 4,700 people on CWB committee but it’s a fact. We would sell 8-10k tickets. Nc state sold 3k last bowl. Historically we don’t travel well for bowls. But, at 9-3 we would PACK the CWB

Again, we’re basically going to have to win the ACC — or come pretty close — to get our pick of bowls in this conference. With the league heavily stacked with southern schools, the southern bowls are always going to lean towards southern schools with easier travel.

yep, or finish no worse than 2nd again next year and then we get the Orange Bowl. figures the year we break through and would be locked into the Orange, that freaking bowl is a semi-final game.

Looks like you are right. So the Gator people would rather have a 7-5 Miami team against a 6-5, soon to be 7-5 South Carolina team instead of a 9-3 Syracuse team against an 8-4 Texas A&M team, where both teams are ranked?

The people on those bowl committee's are from old ACC and SEC universities to a large degree. It's not unusual to look out for old friends.

He said Camping World picks after CFP in his article. Not true Alamo is above Camping. He is either writing this article carelessly or he doesn’t understand the bowl selection process.

It may be but here’s the rub. We have serious pent up demand for being bad for so long. There’s no way to prove that to the 4,700 people on CWB committee but it’s a fact. We would sell 8-10k tickets. Nc state sold 3k last bowl. Historically we don’t travel well for bowls. But, at 9-3 we would PACK the CWB
Maybe we should add a feature to the cuse.com web site asking for commitments from fans to buy tickets for the Camping World if we are selected for it? If we could show evidence 20K of fans would pay tickets, it might help our chances.

He said Camping World picks after CFP in his article. Not true Alamo is above Camping. He is either writing this article carelessly or he doesn’t understand the bowl selection process.

Camping has first pick for ACC after NY6 but Alamo has best B12 team not in NY6.

Cheers,
Neil

I’m not worried. Camping World is a good bowl but is it really that much better than Tier 1 bowls? As long as we don’t get Pinstripe I’m good. I think we will go to Orlando still and NC St to gator instead of a 7-5 Big Ten team. Reading the tea leaves if a surprise occurs Sunday I think it’s us to the Sun Bowl. Projections have Sun taking BC or UVA, so we’d beat them out for sure. At 9-3 we can go to any Tier 1 bowl we wish, Sun being the best. Sun is on par with Camping imo and the matchups and tv exposure is far better. Only disappointment with Sun is for those who planned on traveling for the game.

Other hitch here is that Sun is played at 2 on New Year’s Eve day. SU fans will be watching but not many others. CWB is at 5:15 on a Friday. That will get a lot more eyes.

There are 3 types of scenarios regarding fan travel to bowls.
1 A playoff or New Years 6 type situation where everyone would travel.
2. An up rising program where the fan base is energized by a great season.
3. An program playing in the What bowl because they had a dissapointing season..
(insert Miami or V Tech here) and there is no energy.

We are #2
If its about tickets sold, our AD could guarantee we will sell our allotment. This has been done in the past.

Last edited:
Other hitch here is that Sun is played at 2 on New Year’s Eve day. SU fans will be watching but not many others. CWB is at 5:15 on a Friday. That will get a lot more eyes.

Yep, and Pinstripe is at 5:15 on that Thursday (12/27).

A bowl game on a Thursday...not a holiday...not in prime time...not in warm weather. It blows.

Last edited:
Joe has struggled some trying to cover this story but he isn't wrong again. No reporter could be that incompetent. We have to root for Oklahoma to not get in the college football playoff.

Go Texas!
Go Georgia!

One of those two teams has to win, and/or Ohio State has to really roll Northwestern.

BTW, if Syracuse gets boned and that mediocre NC State team goes to Orlando instead of us, I assume the ACC would let Syracuse pick which Tier 1 bowl that they want to attend as partial compensation for the awful injustice suffered. In that case, the team will pick the Sun Bowl.

I bet John Wildhack is talking to the Gator Bowl people right now as a backup plan. The Gator is done to a 6-5 South Carolina team or a 8-4 Texas A&M team Both should travel well to Jacksonville.

They have to decide whothe opponent is. If NC State is available, they are going to take them.

What if they are not?

I believe it comes down to a choice between a ranked 9-3 Syracuse team, or a 7-5 Wisconsin team or a 7-5 Michigan State team. Wisconsin was just destroyed by a bad Minnesota team and Michigan State is just unwatchable. Heck, they almost lost to Rutgers. Those fanbases are disgusted with these garbage teams and would rather stay at home and eat lutefisk.

Their most attractive matchup would be Texas A&M vs Syracuse. Two ranked teams coming off great wins. The TV ratings would be off the charts. Syracuse fans starved for a good bowl game for many years will attend in record numbers.

I wonder if the Gator Bowl people are smart enough to realize this? Probably not.

I would not discount the Gator Bowl here. In fact, there wouldn’t be a huge difference in prestige between Camping World and the Gator Bowl. Plus the chance to play an SEC team that is no joke. I’d travel to that game! JAX is not Orlando but then again it’s very close to St. Augustine and other attractive locations. Only a few hours from Orlando anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom